I just bought the wrong rod

Started by The Rooster, May 25, 2019, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rooster

Went to the local tackle store after a new rod. Wanted the Shimano Convergence in a medium power, fast action. Thought I had it. At home I strung it up and made a few casts in the yard with a crankbait, cause that's what I intended it for. I thought thid feels oddly familiar and not what I thought it was. Flexed the blank in hand and knew immediately what happened, but I checked the print anyway. I accidentally bought a medium heavy, fast. Now I'm embarrassed to go back and ask for an exchange, but I already have this rod power in a Compre. Don't need two.  ~b~

gtrpickr

seems like an honest mistake i'm sure more than one of us has made, I think the tackle shop would understand.

1ReelFanatik

Happens to the best of us.  Late one night I found a new 6' 10" ML Villain 2.0 spinning rod at a good price.  Bought it.  Upon opening the package when it arrived I found the 6' 10" ML casting rod.  Guess I didn't look close enough at the picture and the model number is one letter different if I remember correctly.  Already have a couple ML rods, but kept this one anyway, but haven't used it yet.  I am of the opinion it is hard to have too many rods....or reels.   lo

Pferox

I was at one of the local saltwater tackle shops around here and they have a clearance barrel for spinning gear, casting gear, and rod blanks.

I grabbed two matching 6ft pier rods that were going for something like $10 each, their normal price was something like $40. I did the double check on these rods to look for an imperfection and none was to be found.  Heck for that price I would have bought a couple more of em if they had anymore. I mentioned that to the owner who was behind the counter and he rang them up for something like $4 or $5 each.

I got home and went to install a couple of reels I had waiting for rods and lo and behold they were casting / conventional rods that were put in the wrong bucket.  I inspected them closely, read every little thing written on the rod and it NEVER dawned on me that they weren't spinning rods.

I put a couple of level wind reels on those rods and never looked back.  They are still in my arsenal, and have caught a bunch of larger fish, still holding themselves together.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

The Rooster

I think I'm gonna return it.

Mike Cork

I wouldn't hesitate to return it. Getting the wrong model happens, They should be able to swap it out without any trouble.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

The Rooster

UPDATE - I returned the rod and exchanged it for the model I wanted, a medium power fast tip rod that feels a tad bit softer than mediums I've had before. I figured this would make it excellent for crankbaits and other treble hook baits, as well as being able to cast lighter weight baits. I was right. As a test I tried several lighter baits on the new rod. I found that I can cast a weightless Zoom U-tale worm on a 3/0 EWG hook about 40 feet (to me that's good for 12# mono on a baitcast reel casting only a featherweight worm), and I tied on a 1/6 oz Roostertail just for fun and can hit close to 70 feet with it. With 1/4 oz baits I can hit those nice long 80-100 foot casts. Much longer than I need, and with good accuracy also. Neither of the small test baits are baits that this rod will see much, or at all, but they give me an idea of its abilities. 1/4 oz cranks and jerkbaits will be primarily what I throw on it.

Today I got my first bass on the new rod too, a 2 pound 5+ oz largemouth, and it hit a black Bandit 300 crankbait that I was casting.

zippyduck

Thanks for the report. And Congrats on the first on the rod.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

Well that ended well.  ;D I have made a mistake and ordered the wrong rod before as well. I ordered a spinning but wanted casting. Fortunately you just about cant have too many MH /F rods. I would have returned it had there not been shipping involved.

ike8120

Glad to hear you able to return it and get what you wanted.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"