Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible for a rod to weaken over time?  (Read 359 times)

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Is it possible for a rod to weaken over time?
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »

Is there such a thing as a rod starting out stiff but then weakening from repeated flexing over time? My accidental wrong rod purchase yesterday made me compare my existing MH/F rod to the new one and now I seem to be noticing the tip of my MH/F Compre rod has a little more flex than the new Confergence MH/F. I also seem to recall trying a 1/4 oz bait on the Compre 10 years ago when I first got it, practice casting in the back yard, and seeing that it didnít do well with anything below 3/8 weights. I had forgotten that until now and never fish anything on it except for jigs and spinnerbaits that weigh within the range it suggests on the rod blank. Yesterday I tried it again though and it casted 1/4 oz baits just fine, and a comparative flex of the two rod tips showed me the Compre flexes more than the Convergence, even though it has the heavier recommended lure weight range of 3/8-1 vs 1/4-3/4 on the Convergence.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: Is it possible for a rod to weaken over time?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:04:32 AM »

My semi educated and mildly experienced mind says it's most definitely possible. If metal fatigues, plastic fatigues, wood fatigues, so on and so forth, I see no reason why a rod can't. By the way, fiberglass does fatigue over time too, so if it's fiberglass I'd say definitely. Graphite, I'm not sure, but why not?

Bear in mind though, there are other factors that can explain what you're experiencing. Changes in materials and manufacturing process, changes in the way the company rates their rods. Your own abilities in casting may have changed. Even your perception from "then" vs "now". So many different possible variables.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »

Rooster my friend, I do believe you are falling prey to over analyzing the situation.  Just consider that rod blanks are not created equal even within the same product line or production run.  There are gonna be differences but I do think you need to get on the water and do some fishing.  You are gonna find there are no fish in your yard and the real test of a rod is when you are hooked up.

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »

You are so right. I over analyze everything. I guess I just need to have reasons for why I do each thing the way I do, why I use this rod or that rod, and so on.

rb-nc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »

What you are seeing is the rods being made out of two different materials. Yes they are both graphite, but the manufacture changes formulas and blanks all the time. Back in the old day Fenwick would list the run date on the blank. I've seen guys try and buy every rod they could out of a certain run

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »

I want to tell you all some of my observations from earlier when I directly compared these two rods again. I tied identical 3/8 oz jigs onto both rods and dragged them across the back yard. I just wanted to know what the real differences were between the rods.

The Compre rod was way more sensitive than the new Convergence as the jigs crossed the bumps and weeds in the yard (yeah, weeds, cause I don't have healthy grass). I had Berkley Sensation copolymer line on the Compre and only Sufix Seige mono on the Convergence, so to be fair I swapped reels to see the difference and then repeated the jig drag. I did the jig dragging test a lot of times, casting on both rods repeatedly before swapping reels so I had a good sense of what they both felt like.  After I swapped reels so the lines were on opposite rods the Compre was less sensitive than before, but it was still more sensitive with just the mono than the new Convergence was with the copoly line.

So these two rods might feel the same in hand and have similar ratings, though not identical, but in use I'd say they are a bit different. That's what I discovered while testing them. I figured as long as I had them side by side I may as well see how they compared.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:14:17 PM by The Rooster »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.