Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crawfish Color in FL  (Read 350 times)

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
Crawfish Color in FL
« on: May 27, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »

I was transferring over my tackle into a new tackle bag when I came across all my crawfish crankbaits from back in the day. I used to tear them up on crawfish colored crankbaits on the clear water rock pits of S FL. I haven't used them in years and was wondering if any of y'all use crawfish colored baits in Florida anymore? I do still use crawfish imitation soft baits but what about hard baits?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

WTodd

• Charter Member
Re: Crawfish Color in FL
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 03:54:32 PM »

Iíve thrown some but havenít had much luck and most of the crawfish Iíve seen bass spit up is black; go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FD

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »

Crawfish in Florida are blue/black.

Sent from the end of the paved road...
TR 20X2 - Merc 250 Pro XS - Humminbird        Ford F-450 4X4

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 05:31:24 AM »

Iíve thrown the red one and I have caught a few. Nothing too great. But like FD said our craws are blue and black so when I throw the red/orange Iím usually imitating a Mayan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 08:02:45 AM »

I've got a few of those old Craw-Cranks and to tell the truth I have rarely used them. Certainly not enough to be able to tell if they actually work or not. Caught me though.

Speaking of Craw Color, I usually use Black/Blue like everyone else. But one day I decided to switch it up with a more 'Gill colored Jig and a Brown/Orange Craw I picked up out of a Bargain Bin years ago. 1st or 2nd pitch I had one of the hardest hits I've had this year as a 2 lber pick it up and ran with it.

So go figure. I only got a few of those left and never had a hit on one before and have never seen them before or after that day in the Bargain Bin, so doubt I could replicate that hit many more times anyway.

I do know that Craws Colors Change as they go through their Molt Season each year. Maybe it matched ones in that lake that day or maybe it was a Fluke Deal, as I didn't get another bite on it.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:43:06 AM »

Craw color.  ~gf  Its the color more than the design that they like. Red, and fish love them.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »

I have a few crank craws but havenít used them in years.  I do use plastic craws because I can throw them in the thickest stuff, and also fish the entire water column.  I can fish them very slow, fast, jerk  them off the bottom.  The plastics come in all colors, and if I lose one itís not a big deal.  Like black with blue claws, or watermelon.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »

Growing up as a kid in South Florida we used to catch crawfish in several of the limestone pits and their color was a light and dark brown. That's what got me started on the crawfish color to begin with. As an adult I've seen what FD and Rick said, the crawfish are black so I wonder if my brown colored crankbaits would even be productive outside of the pits that I fished as a kid. Like LMG said, I bet the crawfish baits with a reddish color would imitate a myann cichlid.

Bassinlou

• If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 05:50:58 PM »

Growing up as a kid in South Florida we used to catch crawfish in several of the limestone pits and their color was a light and dark brown. That's what got me started on the crawfish color to begin with. As an adult I've seen what FD and Rick said, the crawfish are black so I wonder if my brown colored crankbaits would even be productive outside of the pits that I fished as a kid. Like LMG said, I bet the crawfish baits with a reddish color would imitate a myann cichlid.

Nah... your on point Flats. I was fishing the glades last year and a bass puked up a brown craw. We have several craw species down here so all 3 colors are correct answers.

BarryFL

• Charter Member
  • Roll Tide!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 07:48:00 PM »

The ones I've seen in central Fl have been dark brown to dark blueish/black.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 10:29:08 PM »

I read one time that in a Bassís Eye Spectrum of Colors that after a certain depth or loss of clarity, to a Bass all colors look Black. The only color to best Black was Blue.

For whatever reason the color Blue holds its hue in the eye of a Bass longer and at deeper depths than even Black does.

So the mixture of Black n Blue has become a favorite color across the Bass Fishing World simply because of the belief that Bass can see it better no matter what the conditions and seemingly have a more willingness to strike it.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 26 queries.