Hmm...not so sure...

Started by muzz, May 27, 2019, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muzz

I moved from  Med Ugly stick spinning rod with a Penn 4500, to an AvidX 2 piece, with a Shimano Ci4+.
That Ugly had a long handle, this Avid X is normal length(AX has normal split handle).....I find the normal length sux, I don't have as much leverage to WHIP it out there with force...
I used that US for 30 years, that tells ya the abuse the US and Penn could take...
This thing is a toy, I dislike it. I'll probably go BACK to the US/Penn, cuz I dislike the toy feel of the new rig.

muzz

I only fished with the AX/CI4+ for about 40 minutes off the bank, in areas that have weak chances at fish.
I did catch a branch with the wind blowing the line, I did NOT like the weakness of that Avid X in getting the lure out, I almost cut the line cuz I didn't want to break that POS, but it finally came out.

I'll know when I finally catch a decent fish, but I am FAR from impressed with this rod, and it's NOT a cheap rod.
Sensitive? Ahhh...I guess....

muzz

Btw, I get no more distance from the fancy "woops"  , 10000 more guides than I did with my POS Ugly stick with like 6...I thought this fancy many/ micro guide NONSENSE was supposed to help....
6'6 vs 7', the 6'6" Ugly kicks it's ass, and is far more accurate.
Disgraceful.

Bud Kennedy

Muzz, sounds like something else is wrong.  The newer stuff you reference is good stuff and should be performing well.  Tell us a bit more about the rod.  Is this the 2 piece rod?  What is the rod power (IE)  heavy, med heavy .med light  Also what line are you using and what weight of lure.  Would also be nice to know how much drag you have cranked in. 

Also what size of C14+ are you throwing?   My wife had some issues with hers until she paired it with a Dobyns 663 Fury.  Now everything works great with her Shimano NASCI 2500

muzz

Shimano  CI4+ 2500 Reel, Medium/Fast 2 piece rod (I need a 2 piece, have used them for 40 years without issue, I catch fish).
Best quality 30# braid(like my old gear).
This really isn't rocket science, this new rig is nice and light in comparison (whole RIG weight is less than my old reel), but it feels like a toy.
The casting should be further, considering it's 6" longer, not seeing it, and it felt weak when yanking it out of that branch.

I OBVIOUSLY want it to be better, the R/R cost me over 4 beans, but it's not except for weight.

Bud Kennedy

Don't know what to say.  Should be performing well even with 30# braid.  On that reel I would think that 20# would be a better fit especially if you are using quality braid.  Just how much distance are you getting and how much distance do you want.  Also  What is the weight and type of lure you are throwing.

muzz

I've always been a long ,and pretty accurate caster, I dunno, I just understand the leverage motion(which is hampered by the short handle).
This new rod is 6" longer, with BETTER Quality line(slightly of course), yet I know my old ass 6'6" US/Penn4500 can cast st least as far as this "Better" 7'  technology nonsense.
I have SOME hope I didn't throw 4 beans away, but I'm not seeing it yet.

muzz

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on May 27, 2019, 06:29:35 PM
Don't know what to say.  Should be performing well even with 30# braid.  On that reel I would think that 20# would be a better fit especially if you are using quality braid.  Just how much distance are you getting and how much distance do you want.  Also  What is the weight and type of lure you are throwing.
I generally throw  weightless Manns 9-12" worms and Senko 4-5" without issues, although I throw  3-7" Rapalas as well.
After >4 beans, this doesn't feel like an upgrade at all, and I'm kinda pissed.... it's MY FAULT for thinking it would.

muzz

Pretty sure it's getting sold, or put in the closet.

Trash, waste of $.

So pissed for being an idiot thinking newer and lighter is better, it's NOT  better, you just need to spend a buttload for it, and then treat it like a child, or it'll act like one.

Garbage.

loomisguy

Think a 4500 size reel vs a 2500 might have something to do with it  ?

muzz

I doubt it actually, that Avid X feels whimpey, that reel feels like a piece of garbage, even though it's tight.
Trout Trash.

My old stuff is REALLY Old, but obviously, REALLY tough.
I'm not sure this stuff will even get through 1 canoe session, I'll have to bring my old gear just to make sure I can make it through the day.
I don't even like it, the rod feels like trash casting, the reel feels like a toy.
I HATE to say it, but...

GARBAGE

Bud Kennedy

Obviously you are upset with your selection.  But.....I have to ask.  How in the heck did you wind up with something you hate so much?  Did you buy it sight unseen or did you buy it at a local store.  You obviously paid top dollar but that is not the deal here the deal is what you bought is not what you wanted.  I don't know what you are fishing for in Mass. but it must be something really really large if you want that real heavy duty stuff.

muzz

I bought this stuff on reviews, FIRST time I've ever done that with fishing gear, but then again, there were actual local stores back then
I have a St.Croix 10' casting rod, it's top shelf(local store down in Cape Cod) my brother in law has like 8 Shimano reels, all Fabulous- we used to rib each other (I'm a Penn guy ).
In a perfect world, SHOULD I have tried these in person?
#Absolutely
Not always feasible.
I'm disappointed in MYSELF,  I know better than lighter is better, that's a fallacy.

Thanks

Bud Kennedy

LOL, OK let me ask this another way.  When you bought your new stuff....What species are you planning to use it to catch.    It just appears you are a salt water guy and I would understand using some heavier stuff.  But certainly the big stuff is not applicable for fresh water bass fishing.  The new stuff you bought is in the right ball park for bass fishing.

muzz

Larry, in bad places.
That's where I find big ones, hence the need for backbone.
I THOUGHT I bought a decent lightweight rod with some backbone, but I was disgusted today when the wind pushed my slack into the bushes, which caused my rap to get caught up.
This rod was pretty lame, I was so worried I was gonna break it I almost cut the line...
I NEVER would think that with my 30year old pos Ugly Stick, cuz it can take a beating.
I don't like the way it casts either, and AGAIN, THAT is my fault, I didn't feel it in person.
I think this rod is Marginal, and it's >$200.
I'm disgusted actually, I expected more.

muzz

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on May 27, 2019, 09:38:15 PM
LOL, OK let me ask this another way.  When you bought your new stuff....What species are you planning to use it to catch.    It just appears you are a salt water guy and I would understand using some heavier stuff.  But certainly the big stuff is not applicable for fresh water bass fishing.  The new stuff you bought is in the right ball park for bass fishing.
Btw, what's so funny Bud?
I don't see anything funny here.

Thanks

loomisguy

So... your saying you don't like it ?  Heck a medium power rod with a 2500 size reel is a finesse set up.
I'd throw a ned on it or a shakey head or tube. Not a 12 inch worm.. 
If the thing is too soft just return it unless you bought it like a year ago ?

Princeton_Man

Very different rigs for very different techniques for sure. Your new rig is very lightweight and no doubt very sensitive. That rod is probably not what I would buy as a primary rod for bank fishing simply because lightweight and sensitive also means more easily broken.

I do have a couple of setups like that in my rod locker and there are many times a setup like that is the only thing that will catch them. I myself would spool that up with a high quality 10lb braid and use it for Wacky, Neko, Ned rigs, and other finesse techniques.

I'm guessing too much time has passed since you made the purchases to be able to return the outfit. You should have no trouble selling it although if it was me I'd buy another reel for the Ugly Stick for lobbing the big baits and keep the Avid setup for the times that demand finesse.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

muzz

Med St. Croix is said to be Med/Heavy in comparison to most others, and I need to be able to throw light baits, so I figured that was as heavy as I should go(my 30 year old US is labeled Med., I can cast it far and accurate, and it has backbone..was just hoping for a lighter rig).
I don't generally fish off the bank, but I needed to get that rig in the water to see if my 1st impressions were correct... unfortunately they were.
I bought this over the winter, so  no returning it.
Been thinking about this since my rant, and still not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I don't have a lot of faith in it for the type of fishing I tend to do, which is mostly exposed heavy cover consisting of stumps, fallen trees, pads etc, where YOU HAVE to turn their head and rip them out quickly or buh-bye.
Feels a little too delicate for that to me.
I'm such an idiot, I never thought I'd spend >4 beans on a trout rig, I only fish for trout once every couple of years, and with bait from shore, so weight means absolutely zero.
I've always walked into the store and really looked over gear when I was thinking of upgrading, like I did the last time with the St.Croix 10'/ABU Baitcasting rig I got for SW, and ALL of my previous gear.

1st time last time.

I guess it's time to go shopping, I hear the icy roads are now clear

LgMouthGambler

Price of rods don't always reflect the gains. Rule of thumb: you need to get the rod in your hands and play with it before making a purchase. Powers and actions vary, and sometimes can be quite extreme between manufacturers. Did you buy the rod sight unseen, or did you get it in your hands and test the tip and action?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pferox

I have a 7ft 6in AllStar casting rod that is a Medium Moderate and it is a coach whip!  When I first got it I thought it was a piece of overpriced cheap crap too.  Man was I wrong.

I am shore or pier bound right now and it has caught it's share of redfish and flounder throwing weightless live shrimp and 1/4 oz spinner baits in the quite a few years I have owned it.

I've used it in salt marshes, shorelines of all kinds, and piers with great results.  It won't lift a fish, but that is a bad habit to be in anyways.

It isn't a horsing rod, but does bring them to my net every time so far, and there were many times I thought that thing was going to pop, but never missed a beat, so don't underestimate that piece of equipment.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

muzz

Answered, sorry guys.

muzz

Quote from: loomisguy on May 28, 2019, 05:20:29 AM
So... your saying you don't like it ?  Heck a medium power rod with a 2500 size reel is a finesse set up.
I'd throw a ned on it or a shakey head or tube. Not a 12 inch worm.. 
If the thing is too soft just return it unless you bought it like a year ago ?
My 30 year old Ugly stick has Medium printed on it, and it probably has as much backbone as the Heavy of this rod, but will cast better, cuz it already casts better than this fly rod.

muzz

Live and Learn, don't believe the hype.
Check check check yourself before buying the new gear.
I've said it 5 times, it's MY FAULT for listening to people.

loomisguy

Nothing wrong with the St.Croix.. Rods have changed a bit in the last 30 years.
The changes ain't hype..
St Croix has or did have a trade up program give them a call .