Tire pressure?

Started by saltystick, May 27, 2019, 08:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltystick

I own a 1986 Ranger Bass Boat and the single axle trailer is on tires rated at 50 psi max. Should the tires when cold be filled to the max psi?

apenland01

In most cases, yes.  The max tire pressure usually is for max load carrying capability.  My Goodyear Endurance are 65 PSI for max load, as well as max PSI.  I keep them between 60-65 PSI cold.  My 1994 Ranger is really heavy and it's a tandem axle, so I want max load capacity.

Princeton_Man

I too have the Goodyear Endurance tires and run them at max load/pressure (65lbs) and yes, that's in the garage cold pressure.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

saltystick

Princeton_Man

Something everyone should keep in mind is most special trailer tires (ST prefix as in ST205/75R-15) have a max speed of 65mph. So while they are designed to handle a sometimes substantial load they aren't designed to do it at 75-85mph.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Deadeye

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 28, 2019, 08:02:52 AM
Something everyone should keep in mind is most special trailer tires (ST prefix as in ST205/75R-15) have a max speed of 65mph. So while they are designed to handle a sometimes substantial load they aren't designed to do it at 75-85mph.

That may have been true at one time, but certainly is not anymore. Best Bet is to check the Manufacturer's Website for Specs, which should show the Speed Rating.

I have found several that have a Speed Rating of 99 mph. Many have 70-80 mph.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Deadeye on May 28, 2019, 08:15:05 AM
That may have been true at one time, but certainly is not anymore. Best Bet is to check the Manufacturer's Website for Specs, which should show the Speed Rating.

I have found several that have a Speed Rating of 99 mph. Many have 70-80 mph.
It's best to follow the speed rating on the sidewall of the tires. Some of the Chinese tires including stated that by increasing the maximum recommended tire pressure that they could be run at higher speeds but, it's not worth the risks.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Donald Garner

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 28, 2019, 09:47:12 AM
It's best to follow the speed rating on the sidewall of the tires. Some of the Chinese tires including stated that by increasing the maximum recommended tire pressure that they could be run at higher speeds but, it's not worth the risks.

Wow I just learned something from reading these postings.  I've never ever heard of a speed limit being posted for trailer tires.  My fishing trips aren't long distance for the most part and I drive the posted speed limits also.

Guys tks for sharing this information.  I'm going to have to check my Stratos trailer tires for this information.  Here the past couple years I've been running Firestone tires and haven't had any issues with them.  While my boats are in storage I keep the max air pressure in them.  Prior to any long trips I always get the air pressure readjusted for heat build up while traveling.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

apenland01

The nice thing about the Goodyear Endurance tire is that it has a speed rating of 87mph.  I bought these tires specifically because they had the highest load and speed rating for my trailer, since I was going to be driving it 14 hours home after I bough it and was going to be on the freeway the entire trip.....

Rangerman

Guys take it from me, I have pulled bass boats and other trailers for over 50 years, yes 50 years lo Always inflate your trailer tires to the max cold tire pressure cold for Max load. Under they heat and blow and wear out in and outside edges. Over the centers wear out.  Last but no least. NEVER RUN ANYTHING OF ST OR SPECIAL TRAILER TIRES ON A TRAILER. They have heaver side walls and take pot holes, ruff roads better, not as likely to break or bend wheels. Look for Load range C or better, D is better and F is more better. Any body tells you any else, turn and run they most likely a terrorist. lo An that's the Facts and nothing but the Facts.

Deadeye

In another thread I mis-spoke and said I was running Good Year Marathons- That was Incorrect. Mine are the Good Year Endurance like the others here have mentioned.

I always run the max rated 65 lb air pressure and once again today's Trailer Tires are rated above 65 mph. Still it is best to travel at the speed you feel is best.

Rangerman

For those running the Getto Wheels 17" Kenda is the only company that has a ST215/65R17 with ST.   ~shade and they just started making them.  Most likely have to get em thru Local Ranger Dealer :shocking: