How many of you use non-ethanol gas

Started by saltystick, May 27, 2019, 08:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltystick

I've read articles that are strongly against using ethanol gas for 2 or 4 stroke engines.
Should I only use non-ethanol gas?

Bud Kennedy

I believe you will find most of us use non ethanol in our boat motors.  I also use it for my small motors for the lawn equipment.  I don't use it in the cars mostly due to cost.  I do use fuel treatment in addition to the non ethanol gas.  The treatment of choice is Startron.  It was recommended by a mechanic years ago and I have stuck with it. 

Princeton_Man

I've never knowingly used ethanol fuel in any of my boats, power equipment, or tractors. That's not to say it isn't possible someone may have been selling fuel as pure 100% gasoline when it wasn't but, I don't believe any of mine have ever tasted ethanol. I'm very confident that my primary fuel supplier here is selling pure gas.

I'm also very picky about additives and fuel stabilizers. I only use Startron. I used Stabil Red for many years and I feel it is also very good. The Stabil Marine is intended for ethanol laced fuel so I have never used it. Other than Stabil and Startron most all the other additives actually contain ethanol.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

saltystick

Thanks for the input. There's only one gas station that sells non-ethanol and it's out of the way. An though I also use the additives mentioned, the boat's back in the shop for carb. problems. Wondering if a change in motors would be long overdue....especially to a 4 stroke.

BTW, forgive me for not remembering posting this question in Jan. At 70, the mind concentrates more on the immediate present rather than yesterday or even an hour ago (which is probably why I misplace things constantly  :-\). In any case once I get the boat back, I'll only use non-ethanol gas plus additives.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: saltystick on May 28, 2019, 07:11:49 AM
Thanks for the input. There's only one gas station that sells non-ethanol and it's out of the way. An though I also use the additives mentioned, the boat's back in the shop for carb. problems. Wondering if a change in motors would be long overdue....especially to a 4 stroke.

BTW, forgive me for not remembering posting this question in Jan. At 70, the mind concentrates more on the immediate present rather than yesterday or even an hour ago (which is probably why I misplace things constantly  :-\). In any case once I get the boat back, I'll only use non-ethanol gas plus additives.

I face a lot of the same issues with an old carb motor.  Last year I had the fuel lines replaced from the motor to the tank to include all new connectors.  Made a lot of difference in overall performance but still have some carb problems.  Motor currently in the shop for a carb rebuild.  I just could not spring for the $15K for a motor replacement although I would like to have a 4 stroke too but just can't see the cost at this time.  At my age and having a 29 year old boat and motor it does not seem logical to put on a new motor.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: saltystick on May 28, 2019, 07:11:49 AM

BTW, forgive me for not remembering posting this question in Jan. At 70, the mind concentrates more on the immediate present rather than yesterday or even an hour ago (which is probably why I misplace things constantly  :-\ ). In any case once I get the boat back, I'll only use non-ethanol gas plus additives.
Not sure if you're able to store some extra fuel or not. I usually keep about 30 gal stored in 5 gal cans. It's treated with Startron and I rotate throughout the year using it in power equipment and sometimes topping off the boat. I think the longest any of it has gone before using is about 6 months and that's not generally an issue with pure gas in a sealed container anyway but the Startron helps make sure it isn't.

If you've been using ethanol fuel and are going to switch to pure gas, you should have the tanks completely pumped out and I would have the lines, primer bulb, and even filter replaced if you have one. If that's not done you could have ethanol sludge in the bottom of the tanks and fuel line/component deterioration just waiting to contaminate some fresh gas.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 28, 2019, 07:54:40 AM
Not sure if you're able to store some extra fuel or not. I usually keep about 30 gal stored in 5 gal cans. It's treated with Startron and I rotate throughout the year using it in power equipment and sometimes topping off the boat. I think the longest any of it has gone before using is about 6 months and that's not generally an issue with pure gas in a sealed container anyway but the Startron helps make sure it isn't.

If you've been using ethanol fuel and are going to switch to pure gas, you should have the tanks completely pumped out and I would have the lines, primer bulb, and even filter replaced if you have one. If that's not done you could have ethanol sludge in the bottom of the tanks and fuel line/component deterioration just waiting to contaminate some fresh gas.
Now you tell me!!! ~rant ~rant lo lo ;) I switched about 3 years ago.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Donald Garner

I had stopped at Wal Mart to by gas a couple weeks ago and notice they now sell Regular Gas there.  I also noticed it was much higher than the Unleaded gas I purchase.

I've often thought about switching to Regular Leaded Gas but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Goldstar225

I used non-ethanol exclusively in my boat and lawn equipment.  I keep 20 gallons on hand treated with Stabil and rotate it.  I've had no fuel related problems since I started doing this many years ago.

"Leaded" gasoline hasn't been available for what, 40 years?  It's all either ethanol or non-ethanol unleaded in various octane levels.

gatorglenn

Like already mentioned. I to go out of my way to a fuel station that sells 90 octane non-ethanol unleaded gas. I run it in my boat and lawn equipment. I do run 87 10% ethanol in my vehicles. Mainly because the fuel system in them are now made to handle it. And I don't keep a tank long enough to get faze separation. I use StarTron and Seafoam in the 3 5gal tanks. Seafoam has a great lubricantion factors in it. That's really good for the seals and O-rings in the fuel system, like injectors.

My rule of thumb is if it has rubber for all its main fuel delivery lines. Then no ethanol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

Deadeye

Once a local station went up that was selling Non-Ethanol Gas, that is all my Lawn Equipment and Boat Motors have ever got.

I have seen first hand the damage that ethanol does to the insides on gas lines, especially those built earlier that were not made Ethanol Compatible.

The insides all dry up and crystalize then flake off in tint tiny chunks that will clog all the ports in your Carbs and Injectors. I ended up replacing all the lines to get rid of it.

When I got my new to me Ranger I pulled the lines and replaced them all, as it was right on the edge of the Marine Switch over. I've had no issues at all with it.

As to additives, I use Star*Tron for a stabilizer (had bad issues with Stable clogging a Carb years ago) and also use a product from Star*tron that is a Ring Cleaner. Run it proper measure every fill up.

It must be working. My Marine Tech asked me what I was doing, as my motor was the cleanest he said he had ever seen.

Rangerman

Ding Dong guys I will not even park my boat next to a boat with ethanol lo lo run the real gas in all lawn mowers, weed eaters etc. ~sun sure it cost more but as more and more stations putting in back end price will drop.  Local Speedway station putting it in the end pumps marked by Blue Handle on pump. It's a pay me now or pay me mucho later lo lo Now what is crazy the Fed pays distributors 54 cent a gallon to add the crap to the gas to keep price.  I say quit pay em and use the 54 cents to fix the pot holes and do away with the toll roads lo  Go get em Donald ~c~