Best Rods $100-$200 range

Started by Karizmo, June 04, 2019, 12:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karizmo

I'm trying to figure out what the most promising rods out there are currently. I'm currently looking into MHF rods. Supposedly those are your "do it all" rods which I want since I'm not exactly what you'd call a seasoned veteran. 

The budget is $100-$200 dollars for solely a rod (not a reel combo). I was looking at a St. CROIX bass X but I'm unsure if that is my best option given my budget. If you recommend something slightly over $200, I'd still consider it. 

Any insight would be appreciated  ~gf

ʇuǝɹq™

Like most people on here, I'm a huge fan of the Dobyns lineup. You should take a look at the Dobyns Fury and Sierra lineups.

loomisguy

Right now, I think the best rod in the $200 range is the Mega Bass Levante.
For a do all type of deal I like the Diablo Spec R. The rod could really sell for more.

zippyduck

The very best all around rod I have ever used is a Dobyns Sierra 734C. this rod is the best let alone in that price range.
Jigs, t-rigs, spinnerbaits, topwater, skipping senkos, well skipping anything.
I have used it for jerkbaits also.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

DX 704C Champion Extreme!
Oh yeah that is a $339.99 rod.
But hold on there is one for $220 right here8)
This will be a great rod. You will not have regrets later that you should have bought a higher price/grade rod.  ;) I have several that just sit as I started with some not so great equipment. Had to go spend more to get a quality piece and now these others are just collecting dust. 

Karizmo

Quote from: SteveTX on June 04, 2019, 09:44:22 PM
This will be a great rod. You will not have regrets later that you should have bought a higher price/grade rod.  ;) I have several that just sit as I started with some not so great equipment. Had to go spend more to get a quality piece and now these others are just collecting dust.

This is a Heavy rod. Would this limit what I can do with a MHF rod?

Cant deny it's a great deal though.

zippyduck

It is called a heavy action but it is more MH. This rod will not limit what you can do at all.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Karizmo

Quote from: SteveTX on June 04, 2019, 09:44:22 PM

Well, I now own a Dobyns Champion Extreme. 😉

coldfront

Quote from: zippyduck on June 04, 2019, 05:41:05 PM
The very best all around rod I have ever used is a Dobyns Sierra 734C. this rod is the best let alone in that price range.
Jigs, t-rigs, spinnerbaits, topwater, skipping senkos, well skipping anything.
I have used it for jerkbaits also.

versatility is key in most rods.  I never got going on the Dobyns 'train' as I'm a 'hold it in my hands' before I buy it guy.  so I ran across Powells at my local sportsmans warehouse a few years back.

bought the HD max MH 755 CB (composite rod, little more 'bend').  this thing does great with everythng from t-rigs to squarebills, 1/4 oz popRs.  it tosses the norman dLN like a dream (no 'helicoptering'!)

I'll move to the 765 (handles heavier baits) for jigs, heavier trigs, c-rigs and frogs.  also for the bigger heavier crankbaits like the 10xd's.

I'm not hung up on Powell vs Dobyns, but with about 15 rods, and as a guy who likes consistency, it's tough to change 'em all out.  those powells are about $150.

so focus on those 'lengths' 'powers' and 'actions'.  some great rods out there in the price point you're looking at.  I like st croixs, but i also like 'more' rod guides and 'for the money' you can get more than st croix (IMO)

guys here will do a great job of steering you toward Dobyns.  Some might even have you reach out to the owner and ask Gary directly.  there's a LOT of value in that.  being able to do that.  you tell him what you want, he'll get you in the right rods.

now, all this said, I've learned I don't need a ton of rods with different actions.  sure a little specialization happens.  heavy rod for punching, tossing big swimbaits.  longer, stiffer MH xfast for slow moving 'feel' baits, but can also throw those bigger crankbaits, c-rigs and so on.

for me, i want graphite, higher modulus, more sensitive rods.  exposed blank under reel-seat.  really like the new trend to removal of cork foregrip, let's me also have finger touching blank ahead of reel,  then right lengths (7 to 8 foot for me - just better leverage, control of fish from casting through hook sets and playing them).  break it down to what you want; rods will be a lot less confusing with regard to all the selection choices.

it can at times feel a bit 'over-complex'.

Oldfart9999

The BPS CARBONLITE is good rod well within that price range.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

Quote from: Karizmo on June 05, 2019, 02:44:52 AM
This is a Heavy rod. Would this limit what I can do with a MHF rod?

Cant deny it's a great deal though.
Sorry getting back late to answer your question. You said you wanted a "do it all" type rod. Its almost unanimous that a 4 power casting rod is the rod that fits this bill. Search the forums and I believe this has been asked numerous times.

Also the [http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-704c/url=]DX 704C techniques are listed on Dobyns website[/url] but it is not limited to only those. But even if it was that is one heck of a laundry list you get.
QuotePRIMARY TECHNIQUES: Carolina Rigs / Horny Toads / Jigs / Spinnerbaits / Texas Rigs
SECONDARY TECHNIQUES: Buzzbaits / Chatterbaits / Spooks

I think you will find its a extremely versatile higher quality rod.  ;)

camelcluch

Mega Bass Levante makes a tough argument in this range.

FLO GROWN

Dobyns Champion 734 you can get it on Amazon thru American legacy for $208 that rod can do just about anything,very sensitive,very light, all high quality components,great warranty but if you buy one Dobyns you will end up buying alot more, trust me

"Tight lines"