Braid scissors review

Started by WTodd, June 07, 2019, 06:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTodd

Ok I know most everyone has a pair of braid scissors that they're happy with or at least use a pair that's serviceable. For those searching for a really good pair, I recommend these made by Gerber.

The handles are a little uncomfortable but since I only have them in my hands for a few seconds it's not a big deal. As you can see they're not pointed but that hasn't been a problem either. The blades are serrated so you don't have to hold your line tight to make a clean crisp cut. I've had these for several months with no degradation in performance. I think I paid about $10 for them on Amazon and they're very heavy duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Good to know, thank you for sharing Walt.  ~beer~

Thornback

On your recommendation I just ordered a pair from Amazon, $20. Guaranteed delivery tomorrow. I can't wait to try them out.

Bud Kennedy

The pit bull cutters from Monster are with out a doubt the best I have ever used.  Great size and the cuts are clean and can be done without having tension on the line.  Just snip and you are done.  I think a lot of other folks on UB will tell you the same thing.

Smallie_Stalker

I haven't tried the ones the OP recommends but I do own the Pitbulls and I agree with Bud. Best braid cutters I have owned so far.

Plus I like the padded grips on the Pitbull and the fact that I was able to attach a coiled lanyard to the spring so I can secure them to my belt loop. I've had scissor types but I usually end up losing track of where they are or they end up in the lake.

If anyone ends up with both the Pitbulls and the ones the OP posted a side-by-side comparison would make a nice review that could be really helpful to the rest of the members here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

I use the Pit Bulls I received as a Christmas gift (thanks again Bud). I will say they are better than any other cutters I have tried. Im going on my second year with my first pair. Once in a while I get a bad cut but its not often enough to make me think bad of them at all. Since Bud was gracious enough to have gave me 2 pr for Christmas It seems I will be using Pit Bulls for quite a while more.  ;D

The Pit Bulls have a serrated edge as well. I was told or read not to use them on anything except braid because of this edge. Are the Gerbers only to be used only on braid as well or can they work on mono and fluro with no detrimental effects?

merc1997

i bought a pair of cuda's at wally world for $4.99.  after a year of use, they still cut even the smallest braid with a simple snip on limp line.

could not see that anything does a better job.  i make a lot of snips in a year.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

WTodd

Quote from: SteveTX on June 08, 2019, 01:47:34 PM
The Pit Bulls have a serrated edge as well. I was told or read not to use them on anything except braid because of this edge. Are the Gerbers only to be used only on braid as well or can they work on mono and fluro with no detrimental effects?
Don't remember if it said not to use on mono or fluoro but I don't use either except for fluoro leaders sometimes

FlatsNBay

I'm with Bo. I've got a pair of the Cuda braid scissors that I got on closeout for $2 or $3. I've had them a couple of years and they still cut braid like butter even with no tension on the line. I'll probably buy the Pit Bulls one day for comparison but I'm not in any hurry because the Cudas have been so good for me.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

I want a pair that can do it all. None of that one pair for braid another for mono and fluoro stuff. I've got limited space. 1 pair needs to get the job done. Still in search for the right one. Lol

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on June 10, 2019, 06:04:43 AM
I want a pair that can do it all. None of that one pair for braid another for mono and fluoro stuff. I've got limited space. 1 pair needs to get the job done. Still in search for the right one. Lol

Here ya go.

https://www.dancopliers.com/

Bonus, they're also pliers. They'll cut what you want to cut. I haven't cut any wire with them, scared I'll knick the blade. My leatherman has replaceable cutters for that sort of thing. But braid, mono, fluro, it'll cut.
Know how many braided lines have a sample tag hanging off the package? I found the cheaper model of these pliers in Academy and tested them out on the spot, trimming about a 1/4" off the sample tags. It cut through all of them easily.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Thornback

As I said earlier --based on the OP I ordered a pair from Amazon for $20. They arrived the next day so I tried them on my #30 braid and was totally satisfied. They are now mounted for easy access in my boat. Went Fishing yesterday and my buddy also uses #30 braid and he was so impressed he's going to order a pair. 

WTodd

I use them on 40 & 50 lb braid

Deadeye

I tried a couple of different pairs and had so-so success. Then I tried a pair that the wife had bought for in the Kitchen.

They are made by the Pampered Chef company and they cut everything. I think they were made to cut vegetables, but I don't know for sure.

We had two pair, since she got the pair her mom had when she passed. I claimed one. Been using them for 2-3 years now and they must be stainless as there is no rust showing at all and they still keep cutting.

I use Mono, Floro, and Braid and they cut them all like a hot knife through butter. 

SteveTX

Quote from: Deadeye on June 16, 2019, 06:48:36 AM
I tried a couple of different pairs and had so-so success. Then I tried a pair that the wife had bought for in the Kitchen.

They are made by the Pampered Chef company and they cut everything. I think they were made to cut vegetables, but I don't know for sure.

We had two pair, since she got the pair her mom had when she passed. I claimed one. Been using them for 2-3 years now and they must be stainless as there is no rust showing at all and they still keep cutting.

I use Mono, Floro, and Braid and they cut them all like a hot knife through butter.
You got a link to them or some pictures?

Deadeye

Quote from: SteveTX on June 16, 2019, 03:09:12 PM
You got a link to them or some pictures?

I have no link. I think they were sold in home party's at one time.

They come in the holder. Just had the name Pampered Chef on it and "Stainless made in Portugal" on the blade.

SteveTX

Cool looks like they have a little newer version. Still looks very similar on the blade portion.
https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Cutlery/Shears/Professional+Shears/1088

Deadeye

Wouldn't doubt it, she has had these for years.