Nolan Lake Ft. Hood Texas 7 Jun 19

Started by Donald Garner, June 07, 2019, 11:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings to all,

I made an afternoon trip to Nolan Lake over at Ft. Hood, TX after work today.

I fished from 4:15pm - 7:45pm under partly sunny skies and 91dgrs.  The lake is stained and the water temps varied 83 - 85 dgrs depending on your location.  The wind was out of the West at 6 - 10 mph.
There were a lot of bank fisherman out when I got there.  I got launched and decided to just fish the Western end of the lake due to the bank fisherman being out. 

I mostly junked fished the shoreline vegetation with soft plastics, frog, spinnerbait and a rattle bait.   I didn't have a lot of strikes during this trip.  I managed (2) bites with one fish making it to the boat.  My only fish was caught at 7:30pm off the Southeast corner of the small island.

Nolan Lake 19.5in Largemouth

This island is one of the best spots on the lake.  On the North side of the island is the main creek channel.  On the South side is a large flat with submerged grass and isolated submerged tree limbs.

Location where fish was caught.  Grass island with vegetation mixed in.

I was waking a Double Colorado Wahoo Firetiger Spinnerbait through that sparsely vegetated area off the end of the island in 5ft of water.

Modified Wahoo Double Colorado Firetiger Spinnerbait

Equipment and tackle used during this trip 
Spinnerbait setup:  Rod > BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) casting rod; Reel > Abu Garcia Black Max 6.4:1 Low profile casting reel; Line > Berkley Big Game Clear Mono 20lb; Lure > Modified Academy Wahoo 1/4 oz Firetiger Spinnerbait

Boat
G3 1548 Alwed Jon Boat; Motor Guide trolling motors, Humminbird PiranhaMAX 4 Electronics

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

coldfront

Capt. BassinLou

WTG Donald!! That's a chunk of a bass right there.  ~c~

Stren_g

zippyduck

That is a fat fish for June in Texas. nice catch Don!  ~c~
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

apenland01

apenland01

And thanks for all the details in your post!