Braid on baitcaster

Started by c4mpbell, June 08, 2019, 11:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4mpbell

I’m new here, hopefully someone can help me out.

I’ve been using a baitcaster for the past 3 months with 12lbs mono line on it. I feel really confident with it now.

Yesterday I finally decided to buy braid and oh boy what a mess!

I bought 30lbs power pro.

Firstly I tried tying it onto the spool, really struggled to get a knot in it and it kept slipping. Then I tried taping it, didn’t work. I did end up getting it tied onto the spool tight though and when I took it off the tie was still in good shape

Then came the spooling, when spooling it seemed to favor one side and that’s never happened whe I spooled it with mono. I manipulated the line with my fingers when feeding and that eliminated that problem. I put the line through all the eyes of the rod and the gears were cleaned

I watched loads of tutorials and  think I got it spooled even and with the right tension.

Was out yesterday, after about and hour I felt like it was coming loose deep inside the spool, like there were knots under knots. I would pull the line out (massive big pile at my feet) and there would be a slack of around 4mm, like a little loop. I could feel them with my thumb.

It wasn’t like I was backlashing all the time, it just gradually got worse and worse.

I have my thumb o the spool even when retrieving, maybe that’s the problem

Then came the worse knot on the spool. Never experienced anything like it, seemed to slip Under 4 lines on the spool or something. Couldn’t get it out, had to cut it off.

Well I really need help, should I be using 50-60lbs test with a thicker diameter? The power pro spool said 8lbs diameter and 0.28 mm diameter.

The braid when working was fantastic though, you really can feel everything on the end of your line. I just cant keep buying $13 line every time I mess it up.

Thanks everyone

Smallie_Stalker

First let me say welcome to the UB family!

Two quick suggestions. If the line is still slipping down near the spool you can get these problems. Try using a small amount of mono as a backing tying it to the spool with an arbor knot then tie your braid to the mono with back to back unit knots.

After you get the braid spooled back on tie the end to a fence or a tree, put the reel in free spool and walk until all the line is out. Then reel your way back to the fence/tree keeping full tension on the line. This will make sure it is nice and tightly wrapped on the spool.

What reel model is it? Some reels have holes in the spool that you can pass your line through before tying the knot and this can help to keep your braid from slipping too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

c4mpbell

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 08, 2019, 11:56:00 AM
First let mr say welcome to the UB family!

Thank you for the kind welcome.

I will try backing with mono then finishing with braid.

Tying to a tree and keeping tension on? Oh maybe I didn't originally spool it tight enough. There was no way when i spooled it i had that much tension on it.

and the reel is a abu garcia black max, it does have the holes, but they dont go all the way through the spool. I'll look up a tutorial on using the holes.

Thank you

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: c4mpbell on June 08, 2019, 12:18:59 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome.

I will try backing with mono then finishing with braid.

Tying to a tree and keeping tension on? Oh maybe I didn't originally spool it tight enough. There was no way when i spooled it i had that much tension on it.

and the reel is a abu garcia black max, it does have the holes, but they dont go all the way through the spool. I'll look up a tutorial on using the holes.

Thank you

Welcome to UB, just like Smallie said, use a few yards of mono for backing. Mono is more forgiving and will not slip as bad as braid on the spool. Careful with 30lb braid. It will dig on you. As far as the reel, make sure you are adjusting the spool tension and brakes properly. Once you fix your issue and get some more practice time in, you will find braid is great option of line to fish with. Good luck!!

c4mpbell

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 08, 2019, 12:32:17 PM
Welcome to UB

Thank you.

use a few yards of mono for backing

Does the thinkness of the mono make a difference? I have 8,10 and 12 lbs mono.

Careful with 30lb braid. It will dig on you.

I think thats exactly what has happened to me. As I said I didn't feel like i got any backlashes, it gradually built up over time.

As far as the reel, make sure you are adjusting the spool tension and brakes properly.

I feel confident with the rod and reel, I've been using it for 3 months and feel like I've passed the tipping learning point with it.

you will find braid is great option of line to fish with. Good luck!!

Well that's how i felt yesterday, I mean with braid i could feel everything, anytime i got a bite it felt awesome. I just dont want to be paying $13 every time i mess it up.

What Braid would you guys recommend, I'm bank fishing with no surface weeds. 50lbs?

Capt. BassinLou

For backing I match the mono's diameter to that of the braid I will be using on that spool. Using the 30 lb braid you currently have as the example. 30lb PP diameter is equivalent to about 8lb mono. Me personally, I would simply use any cheap 10lb mono, with an alberto knot to join the 2 lines and spool from there. I personally use 40 lb PP for my bank fishing outfits. Imho, 30lb braid digs too much for my preference. 40 lbs no where near as much. Again.. imho. I still think you need some more practice time with the line you are currently using.

rb-nc

I use braid to a leader on every setup I throw. Go to BPS or Academy and get several spools of their brand mono and use it for backing. I feel mine almost half way with the backing. You'll be set. Learn that Alberto knot

merc1997

to go along with the mono backing advice, here is another tip.  use a 6lb or 8lb. test backing.  why?  because it create a smoother surface for the braid to lay down on, that will aid is casting and also with the braid digging into itself on hook sets. 

braids fluffs up very easy and on the cast, the smoother the braid is laid down on your spool, the better results you will have.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

SteelHorseCowboy

C4ambell, they've got it covered with the mono backing to braid. You'd be so surprised how many experienced fishermen forget to do that.

I personally like Power Pro Classic and Daiwa J-braid X8. The j-braid X8 is quieter and smoother, but on your first few outings everything's gonna get covered in green mess, some of the dye coming off the line. I use 40#. Thin line can cause a lot of trouble on bait casters, so I'd be wary of anything with less than a 12# mono diameter equivalent.

Your reel. I'd say it's a good budget beginner reel that will teach you how to use a bait caster, but as a former disgruntled owner of one I recommend upgrading whenever you can. I was recently given a Silver Max by another forum member, it's a nice upgrade over the BM but still affordable. I've become such a fan of the Revo X that I just bought a second one yesterday. There are lots of good options out there in the $100 range and they WILL make your outings more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

c4mpbell

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 08, 2019, 05:24:34 PM
I recommend upgrading whenever you can.
That'll be the next thing. Maybe after I get over this braid hurdle on my current reel I will. I originally bought the rod 3 months ago on a bit of a whim and I wouldn't go back to openface, it's just so much more fun and you can be far more accurate.

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 08, 2019, 01:03:38 PM
Again.. imho. I still think you need some more practice time with the line you are currently using.
Thanks, I'm going to try Braid again tonight then I'll go back to Mono. Issue is I feel I've hit the ceiling with mono and wanted to try something different. I could stand and cast all day with mono but I wouldn't be learning anything.

I know now I've definitely done the right thing spooling it up with mono 3 months ago. If I would've started out with braid I would've given up.

Quote from: rb-nc on June 08, 2019, 01:12:54 PM
Learn that Alberto knot

Done, not as simple as a double uni but seems worth it. Thanks

[/quote]
Quote from: merc1997 on June 08, 2019, 02:06:13 PM
why?  because it create a smoother surface for the braid to lay down on, that will aid is casting and also with the braid digging into itself on hook sets. 

I get it, makes good sense. Seems to be the way to go.

c4mpbell

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 08, 2019, 05:24:34 PM
I recommend upgrading whenever you can.

I actually just remember I have a Shimano Casitas I picked up at a flea market last year. I never used it because it was a left hander. Will definitely spool it up now.

Amazing how something can just jog your memory.

Pferox

I guess I'm the weird one posting here, first, all I fish is saltwater, and I use 20lb braid most of the time.

Oh Before I forget, welcome to the site, there is a lot to learn and we like to teach while learning ourselves.

My experience with braid and baitcasters is pretty simple, lay that line on that spool tight.  Only time you have too much tension is when you snap line.  My spools are hard as rocks when you feel them.  And here is the reasoning behind it.

You are working a winch and each time winch line is deployed it will uncoil slightly in the spool.  When you wind the line back on, you will tighten the "slack" slightly, but never completely.  As time goes on this "slack" will loosen enough to start giving you problems like digging in, and stuff like that.  That is when you go back and respool your line, using the tree trick works great, BTW.

The next thing is to properly set the drag so it will break before the line digs into the spool.

The final thing is actually a wind knot trick for spinning gear that works great with baiticasters too.  Stop the line movement just before it runs out of motion.  This will tighten the line all the way down to the spool and allow you to wind in with no slack.

There was a time where you had to use your thumb to stop the spool on the end of a cast.  Now a days with advancement in breaking, thumbing isn't as critical and some people don't even use much thumb breaking at the end of a cast, this causes looseness in the line and speeds up the need to re-spool.

I wanted to add that using some 8 or 10lb mono line is a great Idea.  For me, if I get a runner I can't control, and get spooled, it is easier and less damaging to snap 8lb line then 20 lb and up braid line.

All lines will have a few quirks, any limp line will have spooling challenges, but hey in the long run it is worth it.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Bassinkorea

The only thing I can really add to all the comments so far is to possible up-size your braid. I use minimum 50lb braid on my baitcasters, and very rarely have any issues. My 14 year old daughter also uses braid with 50lb braid and a short fluoro leader without any issues.

One extra tip I'd like to give you is, if you get your lure snagged with your braid, try not to just pull it free by putting pressure directly onto the reel. Find a smooth piece of wood or other and wrap the braid around the wood and pull with the tension on the wood instead of the reel. This way the line won't dig into itself on the reel, thus adding to your issues.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

c4mpbell

Quote from: Bassinkorea on June 09, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
One extra tip I'd like to give you is, if you get your lure snagged with your braid, try not to just pull it free by putting pressure directly onto the reel. Find a smooth piece of wood or other and wrap the braid around the wood and pull with the tension on the wood instead of the reel. This way the line won't dig into itself on the reel, thus adding to your issues.

Done, that's in the memory bank

Quote from: Pferox on June 08, 2019, 10:34:38 PM
The next thing is to properly set the drag so it will break before the line digs into the spool.

Makes sense, will do that

Well I was out last night with a mono backer. Difference is night and day. Had no issues with 50lbs braid with a 10lbs mono backer last night and was very enjoyable.

Thank you to everyone that has commented you've all really helped me alot.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: c4mpbell on June 08, 2019, 07:07:39 PM
I actually just remember I have a Shimano Casitas I picked up at a flea market last year. I never used it because it was a left hander. Will definitely spool it up now.

Amazing how something can just jog your memory.

I use left hand retrieve reels and I wish I could find something like that at a flea market near me. They rarely if ever have any fishing gear at all. When they do have a reel or two they are always right hand retrieve.   ~xyz
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

TNDiver

I use 30 lb braid for my crankbait rod.  Like others said, spooling it tight is critical.  After a while too, you might have to redo it.  Line conditioner helps too.  I think I use Reel Magic.  Works great and it helps.   Like others said, practice really helps
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus