Line getting stuck between spool and frame...Help!! Tatula SV

Started by TrueGritAngler, June 10, 2019, 10:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueGritAngler

On my last outing I noticed line was getting wrapped around the inside of my spool. It seems the line has been making its way thru a small gap that is between my spool and frame. I had to remove the spool to get the excess line out. Does anyone know what's causing this?
Instagram @truegritangler

zippyduck

Are you feeling the line with your finger in front of the spool?

This can lead to the line not spooling correctly and excess getting in between the spool and frame.

The T-wing causes this, not my favorite Daiwa idea.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

TrueGritAngler

I do feather the line with my finger. I noticed when I adjust the spool tension that there is t much side to side play. Even at having it almost completely loose. I noticed on all my other daiwas that there wasn't a small gap between the spool and frame.

LgMouthGambler

You adjust the spool so there is no side to side play. That should solve your problem.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pferox

What weight and type of line are you using.

I have seen some reels which have tolerances that won't allow lighter weight braids and monos even to be used because of this problem.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Princeton_Man

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 11, 2019, 03:17:58 AM
You adjust the spool so there is no side to side play. That should solve your problem.

<")))>{
X2

With the spool play adjusted out, the line shouldn't get behind the spool.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TrueGritAngler

I've adjusted the spool play but I almost have to tighten it all the way down to where the lure won't even drop on its own. Even when I loosen  it up the spool play is very minimal. I'm using 10lb Seagar Red Label, maybe I should step up to 12lb? This reel is on my finesse set up, Don Iovino MajorCraft Finesse Rod. 

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: TrueGritAngler on June 11, 2019, 12:30:39 PM
I've adjusted the spool play but I almost have to tighten it all the way down to where the lure won't even drop on its own. Even when I loosen  it up the spool play is very minimal. I'm using 10lb Seagar Red Label, maybe I should step up to 12lb? This reel is on my finesse set up, Don Iovino MajorCraft Finesse Rod.

Taking the play out, and tightening it down to where the lure wont even fall on its own are not even close to the same adjustment. There must be something wrong.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lee Smith

Sounds like a level wind issue?  Or a bad frame/wrong spool?  Weird!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

TrueGritAngler

On my other Tatulas, CT, 200, and 100 there isn't a gap between the spool and frame. Only on the SV. Maybe my spool tension knob is working correctly. I know loosening or tightening the spool tension knob will close this gap but for some reason on my reel the gap won't reduce.

LgMouthGambler

TrueGritAngler

Here's a pic of the reel and the gap on the right side of the spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Can you move the spool side to side the way it is in that picture?

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 11, 2019, 03:39:06 PM
Can you move the spool side to side the way it is in that picture?
No sir, even if I loosen the tension all the way it barely and I mean BARELY moves side to side. In the picture the spool tension is tightened all the way down. When I fish I usually loosen it up pretty good., at least till the lure falls on its own.

LgMouthGambler

Without having the reel in front of me, I would have to say that the spool shaft is not sitting in the palm side plate all the way, causing the spool not to sit into the frame properly. Take the palm plate off and look where the spool bearing is. maybe take a picture of that.

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 11, 2019, 03:56:54 PM
Without having the reel in front of me, I would have to say that the spool shaft is not sitting in the palm side plate all the way, causing the spool not to sit into the frame properly. Take the palm plate off and look where the spool bearing is. maybe take a picture of that.
Well I hope I took the right pic. Thanks for your help.

LgMouthGambler

Ok, now you see that wire retainer clip? Carefully remove that (do it in a ziploc, or hold a finger over it so it dont go flying away  lo ), and pull the bearing out, maybe use a magnet to get it. Then, behind that are some spacers and such. You may need a pick, or toothpick to get them out. If you remove the spacers, lay them out in order and take a picture of that.

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 11, 2019, 04:12:36 PM
Ok, now you see that wire retainer clip? Carefully remove that (do it in a ziploc, or hold a finger over it so it dont go flying away  lo ), and pull the bearing out, maybe use a magnet to get it. Then, behind that are some spacers and such. You may need a pick, or toothpick to get them out. If you remove the spacers, lay them out in order and take a picture of that.
I have them laying out in the order the go. But here's what I took out.

LgMouthGambler

Put just the bearing back in place. See if t he spool sits into the frame.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 11, 2019, 04:50:18 PM
Put just the bearing back in place. See if t he spool sits into the frame.

Yep, it sits right inside the frame now with just the right amount of play when I adjust the spool tension knob

LgMouthGambler

Ok. Now take the bearing back out and just put the black disc in, then the felt ring, then the bearing and clip. Then try and fit the spool again.

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 11, 2019, 05:05:42 PM
Ok. Now take the bearing back out and just put the black disc in, then the felt ring, then the bearing and clip. Then try and fit the spool again.

It has a small gap still. Not as noticeable before. The spool still doesn't sit within the frame. I loosened the spool tension on my CT and the spool still sits in the frame with plenty of side to side play. If I loosen the SV all the way also there is a gap between the frame and the spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Try it without the felt ring.

TrueGritAngler

Maybe something going on with the spool not giving enough clearance??

TrueGritAngler