Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merc's Fury three vs Fury Four  (Read 314 times)

oldgas

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Merc's Fury three vs Fury Four
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:54:08 AM »

Has anyone done any testing of Mercury's Fury Four vs the Fury Three?
I'm running a 24" Fury Three on a new 2019 ProXS V-8  and it's doing a respectful job.
Over the years I have been a big fan of the four bladed props due to their ability to produce a better hole shot, mid range, and hull lift in rough water.
 I know that in the past we normally drop an inch or more in pitch size when switching from three to four blades. From what I have heard, this is not the case as much with the Fury Four vs the three blade.

Has anyone tested "pitch for pitch" Fury three vs Fury Four?

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Re: Merc's Fury three vs Fury Four
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:53 AM »

I have only heard the same as you. Unfortunately I love my three blade and actually have two, a 25 and 26 pitch. But both are three blades. The cost of props now a days makes it so hard to buy another just to try. And like cars, once you drive it off the lot it looses 20 percent...
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

oldgas

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »

Yeah, I hear ya there......Whatever it's worth and at risk of boring you to sleep, I'll give you a little ancient  prop history.
Several years ago (I hate to count) I was a rep/sales/set-up guy for Predator Props.   We made props in one inch increments and diameters by 1/4", with several styles of blades.....three and four blades.
 We built a four bladed prop for the V-6 motors from the larger V-6 gearcase only using the smaller prop-tube from the V-4 gearcase.
 This allowed greater exhaust ventilation due to exhaust running over the outside of the tube. Very similar to Mercury's Trophy Plus available today
Those older two strokes weren't really known for their low end torque.  We could get by with a very high rake, large eared, heavy cupped blade due to greater venting.  These props were typically about two to four MPH slower on the top end but the "overall" performance in mid-range and acceleration and load carring ability was worth the loss in top end.  Besides, like a NHRA dragrace, you may be going faster (MPH) but I got there first .   We opened a LOT of eyes with this propeller.

It seems we will never be happy will we..........

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 03:51:23 PM »

I never ran a predator prop (heard about them), wasn't my area I guess. I've always been more about comfort than speed. I used to laugh at the guys that spent a thousand dollars and got .9 mph on their gps ~roflmao

I've always run heavier boats and enjoyed the better ride, but I was also satisfied with 68 mph. The only time I pushed the envelop... I was early in my fishing and could only afford a 115 hp on a nitro. I did everything I could to keep up with the 150's and almost could but it cost a lot of coin in jackplates, props, and reeds.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dam0007

• Smallmouth
  • Smalljaws
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »

Heard the same, a local guy I know dropped from 25 to 24 with the 4 and he was over revving. On his last motor which was a Yamaha he said he did the same thing, dropped a pitch and it was perfect.
BASS & FLW Angler - Dobyns Rods, Woo! Tungsten, Thayers Marine, Triton Boats, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Ardent

IG: @dam0007bass

oldgas

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 05:42:58 PM »

OK guys, here's some prop news for whatever it's worth.
  If you scroll up and read back you'll find that I started the thread asking anyone about Merc's Fury Three vs Fury Four.  You'll also note that a number of years ago I was in the high performance bass boat prop business, so this aint my first rabbit hunt. 

Anyway, if anyone out there is running a new Merc V-8 on a 20'+ bass boat and looking for a great performing propeller.....that being, tremendous hole-shot, great mid-range and load carrying, staying on pad at lower speeds, etc etc,  just overall better performance for the 90% of time we use these boats, and are willing to sacrifice a mile or two on the top end, go to Mercury Racing,  or, Brett Anderson at BBlade Propellers. Look at the Bravo 1 line.

I was running a stock Merc Fury Three Blade 24" pitch. Performance was......well, acceptable but left much room for "overall" improvement.

I got a Bravo 1 from BBlade Propellers (that's a four blade by the way) in the same 24" pitch.
 "You" may need to change and/or remove some of the exhaust vent plugs depending on your rig, water and air temp and humidity, time of year etc etc.

My first test was with all four vent plug "in" (only 1/4' venting holes).  It preformed very much like the 24" Fury three other than the hole-shot was a little better, as well as mid-range......top-end and RPMs  were about the same as the Fury three.
With two plugs removed I saw a noticeable improvement in every category except top end speed and that was   m a y b e   down about a mile MPH....RPMs about the same

With all four vent plugs removed,  the boat JUMPS out of the water and accelerates to 70+ in a heartbeat!!!
The boat stays on plane at very low speeds, turns on a dime, carries a load better, and overall handling has greatly improved. 

I'm betting you've all been there when slowing down, nearly settling down, nose up etc, and you change your mind and want to put the boat back up on pad. 
With this prop, on my 20' 6"  boat,  a touch of the throttle and she springs back to life on pad in a blink of an eye.

I'm not totally sure what my top end speeds are going to be yet, I'm having too much fun driving a boat that handles like a Corvette!!!!

Anyway, Good luck, and I hope this helps anyone looking to narrow down their propeller research. These statements above are merely guidelines. If you are interested in knowing the exact set-up I am running, I'd be more than happy to share that with anyone.    I strongly urge you to test before you buy, or at least seek out someone who is running a similar rig.  These props aren't cheap......but they are the heartbeat of your boat's performance. 

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »

Speaking of boat props.  This looks like snake oil to me. http://www.sharrowengineering.com/the-propeller/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
  • Working too much, more fishing time needed!!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:55 PM »

Hey OldGas

Completely agree with the Bravo 1 XS.  I had a 26 on my phoenix and it was great until I hit some rocks at idle.  I wasnt sure if i should get a 25 and I wanted to see what a 24 was like so I purchased a 24 and am getting the 26 worked to 25.

I believe the 25 once completed will be the perfect prop.

as you stated the handling is probably the best feature of the setup. 
BeerMe

oldgas

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »

What model Phoenix are you running?
 I have a 20 PHX, 250 V-8 Merc and swinging a 24" Bravo from BBlades.  For the 95% of my use the 24" is more than enough prop.  I can still get 70+ out of it if I run down the lake far enough, but the midrange and handling far out weigh my top end needs.     The bass seem to like it too (:   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.