Merc's Fury three vs Fury Four

Started by oldgas, June 11, 2019, 07:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgas

Has anyone done any testing of Mercury's Fury Four vs the Fury Three?
I'm running a 24" Fury Three on a new 2019 ProXS V-8  and it's doing a respectful job.
Over the years I have been a big fan of the four bladed props due to their ability to produce a better hole shot, mid range, and hull lift in rough water.
I know that in the past we normally drop an inch or more in pitch size when switching from three to four blades. From what I have heard, this is not the case as much with the Fury Four vs the three blade.

Has anyone tested "pitch for pitch" Fury three vs Fury Four?

Mike Cork

I have only heard the same as you. Unfortunately I love my three blade and actually have two, a 25 and 26 pitch. But both are three blades. The cost of props now a days makes it so hard to buy another just to try. And like cars, once you drive it off the lot it looses 20 percent...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

oldgas

Yeah, I hear ya there......Whatever it's worth and at risk of boring you to sleep, I'll give you a little ancient  prop history.
Several years ago (I hate to count) I was a rep/sales/set-up guy for Predator Props.   We made props in one inch increments and diameters by 1/4", with several styles of blades.....three and four blades.
We built a four bladed prop for the V-6 motors from the larger V-6 gearcase only using the smaller prop-tube from the V-4 gearcase.
This allowed greater exhaust ventilation due to exhaust running over the outside of the tube. Very similar to Mercury's Trophy Plus available today
Those older two strokes weren't really known for their low end torque.  We could get by with a very high rake, large eared, heavy cupped blade due to greater venting.  These props were typically about two to four MPH slower on the top end but the "overall" performance in mid-range and acceleration and load carring ability was worth the loss in top end.  Besides, like a NHRA dragrace, you may be going faster (MPH) but I got there first .   We opened a LOT of eyes with this propeller.

It seems we will never be happy will we..........

Mike Cork

I never ran a predator prop (heard about them), wasn't my area I guess. I've always been more about comfort than speed. I used to laugh at the guys that spent a thousand dollars and got .9 mph on their gps ~roflmao

I've always run heavier boats and enjoyed the better ride, but I was also satisfied with 68 mph. The only time I pushed the envelop... I was early in my fishing and could only afford a 115 hp on a nitro. I did everything I could to keep up with the 150's and almost could but it cost a lot of coin in jackplates, props, and reeds.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dam0007

Heard the same, a local guy I know dropped from 25 to 24 with the 4 and he was over revving. On his last motor which was a Yamaha he said he did the same thing, dropped a pitch and it was perfect.
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass

oldgas

OK guys, here's some prop news for whatever it's worth.
  If you scroll up and read back you'll find that I started the thread asking anyone about Merc's Fury Three vs Fury Four.  You'll also note that a number of years ago I was in the high performance bass boat prop business, so this aint my first rabbit hunt. 

Anyway, if anyone out there is running a new Merc V-8 on a 20'+ bass boat and looking for a great performing propeller.....that being, tremendous hole-shot, great mid-range and load carrying, staying on pad at lower speeds, etc etc,  just overall better performance for the 90% of time we use these boats, and are willing to sacrifice a mile or two on the top end, go to Mercury Racing,  or, Brett Anderson at BBlade Propellers. Look at the Bravo 1 line.

I was running a stock Merc Fury Three Blade 24" pitch. Performance was......well, acceptable but left much room for "overall" improvement.

I got a Bravo 1 from BBlade Propellers (that's a four blade by the way) in the same 24" pitch.
"You" may need to change and/or remove some of the exhaust vent plugs depending on your rig, water and air temp and humidity, time of year etc etc.

My first test was with all four vent plug "in" (only 1/4' venting holes).  It preformed very much like the 24" Fury three other than the hole-shot was a little better, as well as mid-range......top-end and RPMs  were about the same as the Fury three.
With two plugs removed I saw a noticeable improvement in every category except top end speed and that was   m a y b e   down about a mile MPH....RPMs about the same

With all four vent plugs removed,  the boat JUMPS out of the water and accelerates to 70+ in a heartbeat!!!
The boat stays on plane at very low speeds, turns on a dime, carries a load better, and overall handling has greatly improved. 

I'm betting you've all been there when slowing down, nearly settling down, nose up etc, and you change your mind and want to put the boat back up on pad. 
With this prop, on my 20' 6"  boat,  a touch of the throttle and she springs back to life on pad in a blink of an eye.

I'm not totally sure what my top end speeds are going to be yet, I'm having too much fun driving a boat that handles like a Corvette!!!!

Anyway, Good luck, and I hope this helps anyone looking to narrow down their propeller research. These statements above are merely guidelines. If you are interested in knowing the exact set-up I am running, I'd be more than happy to share that with anyone.    I strongly urge you to test before you buy, or at least seek out someone who is running a similar rig.  These props aren't cheap......but they are the heartbeat of your boat's performance. 

Sandman7925

Speaking of boat props.  This looks like snake oil to me. http://www.sharrowengineering.com/the-propeller/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caddyjoe77

Hey OldGas

Completely agree with the Bravo 1 XS.  I had a 26 on my phoenix and it was great until I hit some rocks at idle.  I wasnt sure if i should get a 25 and I wanted to see what a 24 was like so I purchased a 24 and am getting the 26 worked to 25.

I believe the 25 once completed will be the perfect prop.

as you stated the handling is probably the best feature of the setup. 
BeerMe

oldgas

What model Phoenix are you running?
I have a 20 PHX, 250 V-8 Merc and swinging a 24" Bravo from BBlades.  For the 95% of my use the 24" is more than enough prop.  I can still get 70+ out of it if I run down the lake far enough, but the midrange and handling far out weigh my top end needs.     The bass seem to like it too (:   

caddyjoe77

Quote from: oldgas on August 14, 2019, 07:02:09 AM
What model Phoenix are you running?
I have a 20 PHX, 250 V-8 Merc and swinging a 24" Bravo from BBlades.  For the 95% of my use the 24" is more than enough prop.  I can still get 70+ out of it if I run down the lake far enough, but the midrange and handling far out weigh my top end needs.     The bass seem to like it too (:   

21 PHX with a verado.   Agree. The midrange and hole shot are something else with this 24.
BeerMe

Rangerman

OK here the dope lo Ran the Fury 24 3 blade on Opti 250 on Ranger Z520C rpm was 58-5850 and had a 4 second hole shot loaded. When to the Fury 24 4 blade and the hole shot was 3 seconds,  mid range and the top end increased 2 mile per hour due to the increased rpm 6000-6150 due to load. Now I purchase a New Mercury 250 V8 and props run the same on two stroke and four stroke.  The big deal is the 4 blade carries the boat better for climbing the ruff water when you get caught out in it.  No or very little Yaw or side to side rock in big water. The 24 Fury 4 is getting up close to Rev Limiter now the water has cooled and temp dropped.

The Fury 4 have somewhat of a bad rep due to early one slinging blades, No problem so far after 3 years.  The New Hot Ticket seems to the be the Bravo 1 4 blade, I did run one of the Bravo XS which is the same as the Bravo FS (four stroke) Gee Whiz got a faster hole shot a 1001,1002 and gone making HP. It like to run higher on the jack than the Fury.  The 24 Bravo is almost all over the rev limiter which I want due to these engines make the HP at higher rpms.  I don't rum a boat much at WAO any more, and propped at the limiter give better bottom, mid, and top end handing and speed.  Thats my two cent for whats it worth.  Got a Cherry 24 Fury three blade for sale or swap local.  Going to a Bravo I when I sell a few of my other props.  Can't run but one at a time. lo For a Ranger, Caymas, and some the the bigger heavier boats think the Bravo 1, Fury 4 is going to be the deal.  Some of the locals running Mercury Revolution 4 blade going to borrow one from and friend and check it out in the next few months.