Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaner and Meaner  (Read 244 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Leaner and Meaner
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:36:00 AM »

For the past 4 years, all of the reels I have been using are Daiwa SVTW103s.  The rods I have been using are LSCR and Dobyns. 

I have not really thought much about my other rods as they mostly take up space in my rod rack.  The recent addition of another Daiwa reel required me to re think what reel should be on what rod.  This decision obviously was made based on the specific need of each rod.  Fact is I had to put one of my older rods back into service until I can acquire another LSCR or another Dobyns. 

Previously all of my reels were Lew's and they too have been sitting on the old rods and have not been used in 4 years.  After going through all of my older rods, I finally settled on the rod that I was going to use for my senko and wacky prensentation styles.  The first thing I noticed about my old rods and reels is how heavy they felt.  I was also aware that the over all balance of the rod/reel combo were not nearly as good as the LSCRs or the Dobyns.  Truthfully I really noticed this years ago but now with better rods and reels it is quite noticeable.  The newer stuff is certainly lighter and the balance of the combos makes it feel even lighter.  I guess I am spoiled.

OK back to the senko rod.  I have made the selection and was very surprised that the rod I choose to use was a Wright McGill product marketed under the Skeet Reese logo.  It was the only rod that felt light enough and the guides were right for what I expected.  The other rods in the rack range from older Shimao Rods like the Compre and the Sellus.  I also have a couple ABU rods and Quantum KVD tour rod along with an old Fenwick rod from my New England smallmouth days.  It is interesting how all of this worked out but it goes to show you that the newer stuff has benefited from the improvement in materials and quality.  This goes for both the rods and the reels.  I guess it is a good exercise to revisit some of your older stuff from time to time.  You might just find a treasure or you may confirm that your new stuff was well worth the expense.  It all depends upon how you look at things I guess.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Re: Leaner and Meaner
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »

I know exactly what you are saying. I picked up one of my Shimano Compre rods with a Revo SX and it felt like an anchor. It also felt like the butt was dragging on the ground. This was my jerkbait rod.
Now I have an LSCR for jerkbaits and will never look back.

And you haven't touched the subject of sensitivity. Every Dobyns rod I own puts me on sensory overload. I had to get used to the feel to quit setting the hook everytime the lure bumped a rock or wood.
Dobyns Rods fish all day
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:21:45 AM »

I've given most of my old stuff away, it was just going to gather dust so get it into somebodies hands that can use it. I have one outfit, about 20 years old that I just can't part with, it gets used, it's not a bass rig. It's an orginal Lighing Rod, spinning 6 foot lite action with a 10 series Quatum KVD reel, I use it for perch and crappie and just love the action of it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:01:07 AM »

My senco rod is hvy 7'3" fast action 65# braid....wif a frog tied on it  ~roflmao  ~roflmao  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »

My senco rod is hvy 7'3" fast action 65# braid....wif a frog tied on it  ~roflmao  ~roflmao  ;D
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 02:41:54 PM »

I just ordered a rod myself, and its a bit out of my element in a way. Its not a Dobyns, Shimano, or St Croix. Or for that matter a LSCR, but in a way Lee had a part in why I chose this rod. Its made by Phenix, which he had built me a rod on a Phenix blank. Its called the M1, and hopefully should be up to my expectations in what I think its gonna be like based on what I have read about them. So lets see what the factory Phenix builds are like. After all, you need a new rod for a new reel, right? Since a certain frogging guru has stolen my new Scorpion MGL.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 02:49:27 PM »

I just ordered a rod myself, and its a bit out of my element in a way. Its not a Dobyns, Shimano, or St Croix. Or for that matter a LSCR, but in a way Lee had a part in why I chose this rod. Its made by Phenix, which he had built me a rod on a Phenix blank. Its called the M1, and hopefully should be up to my expectations in what I think its gonna be like based on what I have read about them. So lets see what the factory Phenix builds are like. After all, you need a new rod for a new reel, right? Since a certain frogging guru has stolen my new Scorpion MGL.

Stop spendin' my inheritance  ~xyz  ~rant  :fishy :-X  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »

Stop spendin' my inheritance  ~xyz  ~rant  :fishy :-X  ~roflmao

Blame Lou. Its his fault.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:38:28 PM »

Blame Lou. Its his fault.  lo
.... you knew that reel was mine as soon as I paired it with my LSCR right?
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 03:42:12 PM »

.... you knew that reel was mine as soon as I paired it with my LSCR right?

YOU did.  lo

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »

I've given most of my old stuff away, it was just going to gather dust so get it into somebodies hands that can use it. I have one outfit, about 20 years old that I just can't part with, it gets used, it's not a bass rig. It's an orginal Lighing Rod, spinning 6 foot lite action with a 10 series Quatum KVD reel, I use it for perch and crappie and just love the action of it.
Rodney

Wow.  The only rod I kept...and still use...from the old days is a 6' Lightning rated 1/8-3/8 oz.  Except mine has a Penn 430SS reel on it.  Both are over 40 years old.  Never will get rid of either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 23 queries.