Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baitcaster rod vs spinning rod  (Read 171 times)

RayWolly

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Baitcaster rod vs spinning rod
« on: June 12, 2019, 04:47:29 AM »

I don't know what is better for me, I mainly fish for Pike, Perch and Walleye (since I live in the Netherlands, we do not have Bass).

The baits I use are spinners, plugs, jerkbaits and shads.
Will a baitcaster rod suit me or should I stick with a spinning rod?

Thanks in advance!

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
Re: Baitcaster rod vs spinning rod
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »

I would choose a baitcaster over spinning. Both rigs have their place.

A baitcaster is a powerful winch, it will drag the beasts into the boat. You also have much better cast/line control by using your thumb on the spool, that makes it possible to place the bait in the water instead of plopping it into the target water.

Spinning reels generally require using lighter line and add twist to the line. Twist is a result of the design and with mono/fluoro it generally results in line coiling off during a cast eventually. Braid does work better on spinning reels because it's more resistant to line twist. With spinning rigs, the rod is used for the winching and the reel is used to take up the line.

I use spinning rigs primarily for finesse presentations using very light baits.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:54:51 AM »

I think braid is a game changer here, spinning generally likes a smaller diaeter line, depending on reel size. Spinning outfits are made to handle saltwater fish so there is no reason you can't find one to handle pike and other larger fish. If spinning is easier for you by all means use it. Ultimately it's not the rod/reel combo but the fish that will be remembered.
By the by, how about a few pictures of the fish you're catching?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »

I fish saltwater with both spinning and baitcasters, and can say that even the smallest spinning reel I own, a 2,000 series spinning reel will pull in just about anything I normally catch, although I do feel more comfortable with a little bit bigger spinning reel.  I try not to hookup on anything that is larger than 50lbs, with teeth.

Like Rodney said, modern Braid was the game changer.

You can do just about everything with a spinning reel that you can with a bait caster, it just takes a lot of practice and knowing how to work the spool.  I'm pretty sure you have a greater selection of spinning gear than casting gear available to you since most of Europe is using spinning gear.

Another advantage of spinning rigs is that it utilizes the rod and curve to it's best.  That is why under wraps are so popular with bait-casting guys now.

I personally would go with the spinning gear and braided line, there is just too much done with those reels recently that has put them ahead of the game for many presentations, but if you want to look into a new and challenging branch of fishing, then invest in the bait-caster and see the difference for yourself.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »

You also have much better cast/line control by using your thumb on the spool, that makes it possible to place the bait in the water instead of plopping it into the target water.

I agree with this statement, but wanted to add that I routinely do what I call feathering the cast on my spinning reel. As line comes off the spool I can hold the palm of my free hand at an angle in front of it and let the line coming off drag against my fingers to slow it down and ease the bait into the water if I want to avoid a splash. With feathering I get really good results, it even helps with landing a bait on target if I think I've overshot what I aimed for. I don't cast anything over 1/4 oz on spinning gear so large splashes aren't a huge concern most of the time, but this is one possibility for adding control normally reserved to just casting reels. One other thing I do is that I side arm cast a lot to keep the bait low and closer to the water during flight to avoid just plopping the bait down at the end of its travel. With this, and feathering, I can slip one in in virtual silence.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:56:47 PM by The Rooster »

Flat Rock

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »

Until this year I have always used a spinning outfit and yes you can use your figure to feather the cast to control your cast.   There has been a thing I haven't been able to reel in with a open face real, so I call BS on one reel is stronger than another.   I also find a spinning outfit to be a little better balanced then a BC.   

The only down fall with a open face reel is the line twist.  I think that is where the BC has an advantage over a spinner.  I will agree that a BC does work better for flipping and pitching, but don't think for a second that you can't do the same thing with a spinner.

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »

Obviously a spinning rod will do all you are looking for.  I grew up using spinning gear.  When I decided to get back into fishing locally, I decided I wanted to try a baitcast reel.  Love them!  Although I have purchased 10 spinning rods in the 10 1/2 years since getting back into fishing, none hardly ever see any use.  I hope to start using 3 of them more often.

A baitcasting combo should also work fine.  A lot is going to depend on lure weight.  The right rod becomes important when using light lures on a baitcast setup.  I've cast #5 Shad Raps (3/16 oz.) on 3 of my baitcast rods and have a couple more that should handle that weight just fine.  Such a rod will handle the larger pike if in open water.

Before quitting fishing a couple years after moving to this area, I did a lot of fishing with 4# XL.  Largest fish caught was 10 lbs.  Before that 8# XL was my choice.  Biggest fish caught was 35 lbs.  None of my rods were over Medium power.

I will say that getting into baitcasting outfits can be a slippery slope.  I don't want to say how many I've bought the last 10 1/2 years, but let's just say I have more than either of my local Walmarts....which suck when it comes to fishing gear.  I have enough to completely outfit several people, yet keep looking for more.  Bait Monkey is a B******.   lo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.