Alligator Alley 6/15/19

Started by Capt. BassinLou, June 15, 2019, 06:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Met up with Rick today and fished a stretch of the alley that I have never fished before. We launched at 645 a.m. and made a run to the East. I started with my Bomber top water bait and caught 2 little bass right away. Rick was connecting with fish as well. Fished the area for about an hour and caught 10 bass within that time frame.

I decided to check out the North Canal, and fortunately the fishing action was a lot better. I wasn't having much luck with the frog, which was disappointing, since I was breaking in a new reel, but Rick told me not to worry because I would figure out the pattern of the day soon enough. No sooner after Rick said that, I figured out the pattern for the rest of the outing.  lo lo

The weather was cooperative the entire outing, it was very hot and humid, but the rain and storms stayed to the South and North of us. At about 2pm a cluster of clouds looked menacing so we called the trip. We made it to the ramp, only to see those clouds move further West and dump rain a mile or so away. Looked at the fish counter and surprisingly we landed 64 bass. Considering the water levels are up significantly the bass were very active, but they will be migrating into the marshes soon enough if they haven't already begun to do so.

@ Rick, I know its been awhile since we haven't fished together, but as all ways, it was blast hanging out with you. We sure caught a mess of bass today.

Thanks for reading.

FLO GROWN

You guys slayed them!!! Wtg guys!!

"Tight lines"

SFL BassHunter

Thanks Lou for the invite. I had a great time!

I caught my fish on Senkos, uvibes and a bunch in the frog as well. It was fun having a frog bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

FlatsNBay

Dang, nicely done fellas. What was the trick with the frog? Did you have to fish it differently to figure out the bite or more of a location thing?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 15, 2019, 07:37:10 PM
Dang, nicely done fellas. What was the trick with the frog? Did you have to fish it differently to figure out the bite or more of a location thing?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Thanks Flats. It came down to location. The bigger bass were in the back holes behind the pads.

big g

WTG guys.  I knew with all the cloud cover you two would figure something out.  Considering the threat of rain the weather held most of the day.  Glad you two had fun.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Donald Garner

Guys congrats on the catching and sharing the photos with us  ~c~ ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

strkpr

Great report and great number of fish. I need one more trip out there before the water gets too high.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

no fish is to small to catch

SteveTX

Looks like a great day of fish catchin. Congrats on some fine specimens and thanks for the fish pics and report information.  ~c~

Whats that water clarity like? Its hard to tell in the pics. Oh and how deep is it where your catching them?

I haven't really tried a HB frog yet. But thought if I did they would be like yours backed up in the holes waiting to ambush. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on June 15, 2019, 08:23:54 PM
WTG guys.  I knew with all the cloud cover you two would figure something out.  Considering the threat of rain the weather held most of the day.  Glad you two had fun.

Thanks George.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: strkpr on June 15, 2019, 09:53:33 PM
Great report and great number of fish. I need one more trip out there before the water gets too high.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks Strkpr. The water is rising out there pretty quick, its not like last summer that's for sure.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteveTX on June 16, 2019, 12:46:53 AM
Looks like a great day of fish catchin. Congrats on some fine specimens and thanks for the fish pics and report information.  ~c~

Whats that water clarity like? Its hard to tell in the pics. Oh and how deep is it where your catching them?

I haven't really tried a HB frog yet. But thought if I did they would be like yours backed up in the holes waiting to ambush.

Thanks Steve. Water clarity wasn't bad yesterday considering all the rain we have been having. Visibility was about 3-4ft. As far as were I was catching these bass, you need to understand these canals. These canals have shallow flats or banks along their sides, and compromise of different types of cover and vegetation. One side of the canal borders the highway "Alligator Alley" and the other side goes into the marsh lands. When we have periods of low water, which we had recently, the water dries up in the marshes and all the fish congregate in the canals. During high water season, which we are transitioning into now, the water spills into the marshes again and the fish migrate out into the canals.
I was focused my attention into those very shallow pockets that had some bank as a back wall on the flats side of the canal. The bigger fish were using these area as ambush points. The depth of these pockets varied from inches to about 1ft deep. Made for some crazy blow ups!!  :o :o

big g

Well Sunday was to be the better of the two days this weekend.  It has monsoon rained here all morning, with occasional thunder.  You picked the better day for sure!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on June 16, 2019, 10:35:42 AM
Well Sunday was to be the better of the two days this weekend.  It has monsoon rained here all morning, with occasional thunder.  You picked the better day for sure!
Sorry to hear that George. It's been raining all morning down here. :(

LgMouthGambler

Well done guys!

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.