Reel Recommendation

Started by FishinBuck07, June 17, 2019, 06:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishinBuck07

Ok folks, I need some reel recommendations.  I am putting it on a Fury 703C and I use this rod for a lot of my moving baits.  Baits like buzzbaits, spinners, chatterbaits, and other topwaters.  I would like to stay under $150, right now I have a Gen 1 Abu Revo STX on it but yesterday I noticed it was making some noises I hadn't heard before.  I bought this off a buddy of mine for $50 and it was my first baitcaster, he used it for a few years before I got it and I have used it for 3 years now.  I think I have gotten my moneys worth out of it, so wanting to get something new.  So throw out your favorites, or what you think would be the best for what I am using it for.

zippyduck

Get yourself a Daiwa Fuego on Monster fishing and get 50 lb J-braid freee. right now. All for $99.99.
It comes in 7.3:1 which is the perfect speed for what you want it for.

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

Zippyduck found a nice set up  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

I'm a shimano fan and would recommend a Citica, I really like the new ones but they are at the top of your budget at $149. I've also been impressed with the Shimano SLX at $99.

The SLX is smooth and great right out of the box. While I don't really recommend it because it's great out of the box, some guys are buying these and swapping a couple bearings and getting a $2-300 performance out of them.

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Shimano-SLX-Low-Profile-Casting-Reels-p/shimano-slx-reel.htm

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Mike also has a great suggestion. Both options will not let you down.

FishinBuck07

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 17, 2019, 09:14:58 AM
Zippyduck found a nice set up  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

I'm a shimano fan and would recommend a Citica, I really like the new ones but they are at the top of your budget at $149. I've also been impressed with the Shimano SLX at $99.

The SLX is smooth and great right out of the box. While I don't really recommend it because it's great out of the box, some guys are buying these and swapping a couple bearings and getting a $2-300 performance out of them.

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Shimano-SLX-Low-Profile-Casting-Reels-p/shimano-slx-reel.htm
You are correct Mike I already have a SLX on a 7'5 SLX rod.  That reel at $99 is amazing so I may just get another one of those to put on the Dobyns and call it a day.  I can also palm it better than a lot of other reels with my tiny hands, or as my buddy calls them girl hands.  haha.  Oh and Zippyduck thanks for taking the time to respond, it is much appreciated.

Mike Cork

Let us know how it works out :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Anytime, enjoy the new reel. Nothing wrong with it.

LgMouthGambler

You can get the Citica I for $99.95. Zippys suggestion with the Fuego CT and the braid for free is a great deal as well. The SLX is a great reel as well. I own all 3, lol. If I can help with any questions as far as build quality, and or on the water performance, I'll help all I can.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FishinBuck07

Any of you know anything about the 13 fishing Inception?  It kind of caught my eye, going tomorrow to my local shop to look at some reels.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FishinBuck07 on June 17, 2019, 07:57:43 PM
Any of you know anything about the 13 fishing Inception?  It kind of caught my eye, going tomorrow to my local shop to look at some reels.
Stay with the other options. Trust me. Chinese reel company makes the 13 reels. Not the highest of quality.

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FishinBuck07

Thanks for the warning! 

ike8120

I will probably get bashed for this post , take a look at the KK Assassin or the other higher end KK.
Remember just about everything is made overseas. Some items are better then others. Bottom line it depends on your budget and what you like.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

FishinBuck07

Quote from: ike8120 on June 18, 2019, 07:26:35 AM
I will probably get bashed for this post , take a look at the KK Assassin or the other higher end KK.
Remember just about everything is made overseas. Some items are better then others. Bottom line it depends on your budget and what you like.
No bashing from me at all, my little brother bought one over the winter and really likes it so far.  I try not to buy online as much as possible.  I have a very nice local shop where all the people are bass fisherman and know their stuff.  So I buy from them as much as possible.  I like to keep my money local where they know what works best for our area.

ike8120

Quote from: FishinBuck07 on June 18, 2019, 07:51:13 AM
No bashing from me at all, my little brother bought one over the winter and really likes it so far.  I try not to buy online as much as possible.  I have a very nice local shop where all the people are bass fisherman and know their stuff.  So I buy from them as much as possible.  I like to keep my money local where they know what works best for our area.
Always nice to purchase locally my closet is a DSG.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

FishinBuck07

Quote from: ike8120 on June 18, 2019, 08:05:21 AM
Always nice to purchase locally my closet is a DSG.
Yeah these guys are just a bunch of guys that fish the local tournaments around here and seen the need for a tackle shop focused on bass fishing in the local area.  Their selection and prices are top notch and their service is better than anyone else I have dealt with so spending my money with them is a no brainer for me!

FishinBuck07

Well I went with the Lew's Tournament MB to put on my Dobyns rod!  It is butter smooth, checked out the Daiwa reels in the same price range and liked them also but they didn't have the gear ratio I wanted in stock!  Plus the Lew's fit my little hands just right!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FishinBuck07 on June 18, 2019, 06:59:31 PM
Well I went with the Lew's Tournament MB to put on my Dobyns rod!  It is butter smooth, checked out the Daiwa reels in the same price range and liked them also but they didn't have the gear ratio I wanted in stock!  Plus the Lew's fit my little hands just right!
Good deal. The MB is actually a nice reel for the money. Dual brakes help for a multitude of applications on the same rig. Catchem up brother!

caddyjoe77

of all the Lews I used to have the tournament MB was definitely my favorite
BeerMe

FishinBuck07

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on June 18, 2019, 08:35:25 PM
of all the Lews I used to have the tournament MB was definitely my favorite
I tied a 3/8 oz jig on it last night sitting in my chair just messing around and all I can say is wow that thing is smooth!  I am afraid I am going to like it too much and want to replace other reels with one.  lol

Oldfart9999

You may want to have Mike or Matt go through that reel, they'll make it better than new for a good price and you'll have an excuse to buy a new rod.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FishinBuck07

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on June 19, 2019, 07:30:49 AM
You may want to have Mike or Matt go through that reel, they'll make it better than new for a good price and you'll have an excuse to buy a new rod.
Rodney
You talking the Abu?  If so I may think about that down the road, but right now I don't need another rod.  I know famous last words right before you go buy another one.  I fish from a float tube so three rods I carry now is pushing it.  Plus that Abu is huge and my hands are tiny, another reason I wanted the new reel.  I fished most of the day Sunday with the Abu and when I was done my hand hurt so bad from stretching to palm it, that I almost wanted to cry.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: FishinBuck07 on June 19, 2019, 06:20:21 AM
I tied a 3/8 oz jig on it last night sitting in my chair just messing around and all I can say is wow that thing is smooth!  I am afraid I am going to like it too much and want to replace other reels with one.  lol

before you decide on them strictly...you should check out a daiwa SV series.  I speak from experience :)
BeerMe

FishinBuck07

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on June 19, 2019, 10:01:15 PM
before you decide on them strictly...you should check out a daiwa SV series.  I speak from experience :)
I have not decided on anything strictly I promise!  I have three five different brands of reels between my spinning rods and casting rods.  Abu, Shimano, Daiwa, Lew's, and Pflueger, so yeah I am not what you would call brand loyal like some of the guys on here and friends of mine.  haha ;D