First Glide Bait and Big Swimbait Setup

Started by caddyjoe77, June 16, 2019, 12:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddyjoe77

Quote from: TrueGritAngler on August 28, 2019, 06:06:53 PM
I use the Leviathan Levante 2019 series, paired up with the Tatula 200 and love that combo. I throw mostly treble hook swimbaits, like glides, and wakes.

Awesome!!  That's the version I have. 

What bait(s) are those?
BeerMe

TrueGritAngler

In the picture is the Breamslide, Creep 6.5, 316 Lines Thru Rising Son, and Working Class Zero Citizens.
Instagram @truegritangler

caddyjoe77

Actually, I dont have the levante, I have the 2019 orochi Leviathan.  Hard to keep their lines straight sometimes. 

Mostly I have a few hudds, a good bit of deps in 175 and 250 and some 6th sene glides.  Looking forward to trying out the Arashi ones coming out this fall.

how do you like that bluegill? 
BeerMe

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on August 28, 2019, 10:55:26 PM
Actually, I dont have the levante, I have the 2019 orochi Leviathan.  Hard to keep their lines straight sometimes. 

Mostly I have a few hudds, a good bit of deps in 175 and 250 and some 6th sene glides.  Looking forward to trying out the Arashi ones coming out this fall.

how do you like that bluegill?
The Orochi is a nice rod! The Breamslide swims like the Gantarel, I'm thinking about adding a weight to tune it to XSS, but I haven't done it yet. I honestly haven't been fishing it much. But it's a good bait. I like the UFO's gill profile better but those are wake baits.
Instagram @truegritangler

caddyjoe77

Quote from: TrueGritAngler on August 28, 2019, 11:44:26 PM
The Orochi is a nice rod! The Breamslide swims like the Gantarel, I'm thinking about adding a weight to tune it to XSS, but I haven't done it yet. I honestly haven't been fishing it much. But it's a good bait. I like the UFO's gill profile better but those are wake baits.

Ok so literally I just started getting into this.  What is XSS?
BeerMe

caddyjoe77

Had a follower today, wasnt a giant(probably a 4 pounder) but still a follower on a Deps 175.  Getting to be the right time. 
BeerMe

coldfront

caddy,
would you consider discussing the when, where you like to toss a glidebait?

I've had some fun tossing them around big floating docks during shad spawn and in fall with shad moving back in pockets.

differences in glide baits like the s-waver vs bullshad?

Smallie_Stalker

Here is a video you guys may find interesting. There is some underwater footage of various swimbaits. Check it out --->Here

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

caddyjoe77

Quote from: coldfront on October 20, 2019, 12:24:24 PM
caddy,
would you consider discussing the when, where you like to toss a glidebait?

I've had some fun tossing them around big floating docks during shad spawn and in fall with shad moving back in pockets.

differences in glide baits like the s-waver vs bullshad?

Sure.

Since I am relatively new to this  lo I dont have a helluva lot for ya!!  lo.

My thought is they are mostly for "big meal" time -- Spring and Fall mostly but to be honest I could see them working in the summer and winter as well. 

Right now I try to find a hard grass edge near the river channel and work my way back along the creek channel that I can identify.  As we all know, bass try to find edges, and the hard part is determining which edge.  In Guntersville, that is going to be grass more often than not in my opinion and I might very well be wrong on that thought.  This opinion is based on a couple things -- mostly Florida bass which we know like grass (and in my opinion its in their Florida genes), second thing is I have fished numerous rocks and trees with very little success here, maybe a spotted bass or two. This is quite the contrast from the northern lakes where you might look for a transition of some kind in the rock -- now I look for transitions along the grass line. 

so once i find a decent grass point or edge I try to find a path that I think could be used as a migration path on the map.  This is where I struggle the most so I look for ledges and the like.  I personally need some more map study time.   :-* 

from there i look for the shad in that area -- hopefully finding a mother lode shad school -- but even then sometimes the bass are not there (yesterday was a great example of that -- I found 2 GIGANTIC shad schools -- not a single bite and I tried many things and also no feeding activity -- could have been a timing thing?)

For Docks, I happen to be in a several mile cove and there are a ton of docks -- I have been pitching the 175 back there but nothing yet.  In the summer though I have seen big ones in the shallows so I know they are there.

One thing I want to check out is bluff walls -- Brandon P seems to have success there. 

S-Waver versus Bull Shad?  No idea -- still learning about the different ones.  Some of the ones that I do like to throw are 6th Sense gizzard glide, the Deps 175, and the S-Waver. 

its a new learning process to me.  Will probably take a long time to get a good pattern dialed in of when and where. 

When do you like to throw them?
BeerMe

coldfront

caddy,
I actually have a trip scheduled to go out with a local guide (captain Billy wheat).  it's a trip that came out of conversation on an earlier outing.  billy talked a bit about a glide bait bite in the fall.  some specific structure type/locations.

I asked if he'd take me out and show me a bit of it.

going in a couple weeks.  will see what I can share.

as for those bullshads:  I think i'm working them too slow.
s-wavers:  again, around cover where shad spawn (during shad spawn).  herring spawn/herring lakes.
and around those black sponsons under floating docks when water temps get cold in winter.

as I work through this, I'll share observations, thoughts.  feel free to chime in.  there's no right/wrong here.