Shimano Bantam MGL

Started by LgMouthGambler, June 16, 2019, 07:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

I decided to take the plunge and take on the Bantam MGL as my new pitching reel. After having the Scorpion MGL rightfully taken from me, I had to do as we say in the racing world, build it "faster and stronger". MSRP of this Bantam is $350, and with that comes a strong one piece frame and palm plate construction. This reel reminds me of a BMX frame built by Haro bicycles called the Monocoque. The only removable piece on the palm plate is the round section in the middle that incorporates the braking system. Gears are micro module, and this particular model is the XG that I have purchased. I am not one for super high speed gears in my reels, but I figured I might as well kill 2 birds with one stone in my testing.  First testing is the reel itself with pitching baits with heavy mono. MGL spool, though made to be light and shallow to cast anything, is not being used in such the case here. The main downfall with the Bantam is the line guide being so close to the spool. Some say it hinders casting distance. I'm not really worried about it in this case. If I wanted casting distance I would have opted for the Metanium MGL, but I was looking for rigidity. People have been flipping, punching, and pitching with this reel and have had no issues, so I decided to fork up the money and go for it. And I sit and wait for the delivery...

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: zippyduck on June 16, 2019, 09:00:25 PM
Someone looking for another hand out.  ~roflmao
Hes pressing his luck if he tries this one. Lol!

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: zippyduck on June 16, 2019, 09:00:25 PM
Someone looking for another hand out.  ~roflmao
Lol!! Handout? Not quite. There was a nice trade made. ;)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 16, 2019, 09:14:25 PM
Hes pressing his luck if he tries this one. Lol!

Beautiful reel no doubt. But that's what I consider a rare air reel for me. I only own one of those, and that's good enough for me. Enjoy that beauty LMG, it's safe around me.

Sc Bassin

I am surprised you did not get the Japanese version. I saw it for about $270 shipped the other day.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Sc Bassin on June 17, 2019, 04:03:41 PM
I am surprised you did not get the Japanese version. I saw it for about $270 shipped the other day.
It's the same exact reel. But yes, my reel is coming from Japan. ; )

Lee Smith

send it on over here,,i'll break her in  ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 17, 2019, 04:48:16 PM
This might be a reel even YOU cant break. Lol. I'll bring it with me to Guntersville, amongst many others that are gonna come for the ride.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 17, 2019, 04:48:16 PM

This is how I ended up owning 3 of his Shimano's  ~roflmao

fishballer06

I've really wanted one of these ever since they came out, but I have yet to pull the trigger. My Chronarch MGL's and 13 Met's have been treating me so well.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishballer06 on June 19, 2019, 07:41:50 AM
I've really wanted one of these ever since they came out, but I have yet to pull the trigger. My Chronarch MGL's and 13 Met's have been treating me so well.
I almost pulled the trigger on a mint 13Metanium. Then I saw what I could get a new Bantam for, and decided it's now or never. I had the 15MetaniumDC, so it's time to try a different platform.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 19, 2019, 07:16:23 PM
I almost pulled the trigger on a mint 13Metanium. Then I saw what I could get a new Bantam for, and decided it's now or never. I had the 15MetaniumDC, so it's time to try a different platform.

I got that Metanium of you too...

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 19, 2019, 07:45:58 PM
I got that Metanium of you too...
Yeah. I know. You're like a 2nd hand enthusiast. Like my Luke Skywalker. Lol

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 19, 2019, 07:48:44 PM
Yeah. I know. You're like a 2nd hand enthusiast. Like my Luke Skywalker. Lol

Lol!! Pretty much.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 19, 2019, 07:16:23 PM

i do have a very minty metainium you should pick up from me. 
BeerMe

Aquaftm45

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 16, 2019, 07:53:42 PM
This reel reminds me of a BMX frame built by Haro bicycles called the Monocoque.

Reminds me of the PK Ripper, which I was very fond of, although I turned out to be a Kuwahara type of guy :)

LgMouthGambler

Its here!

Capt. BassinLou

Wow!! That was fast!! Great looking reel!! Enjoy!!

LgMouthGambler

I got followed outside, and I think I've lost my reel.

Capt. BassinLou

Lmao!! You can't catch a break!!

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 24, 2019, 05:51:06 PM
I got followed outside, and I think I've lost my reel.

lo lo lo ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ You didn't really want to use it did you?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 24, 2019, 06:19:11 PM
Lmao!! You can't catch a break!!

Apparently, this is why I fish alone.  ~roflmao

CraigP83

Why mono?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk