Power Pro braided line thickness

Started by RayWolly, June 21, 2019, 07:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayWolly

Hello!

I need help with the thickness of my braided line.
I fish with a spinning rod of casting weight 15-40 grams.
And I mainly focus on pike, perch and walleye/zander, I will use a leader.
Mostly I used baits around 30 grams, will a diameter of 0.15mm be enough with Power pro braid?

Thanks in advance!

LgMouthGambler

On smaller spinning reels, 10-20 is ideal line size. 30 would be max I would think.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pferox

.20mm to.27mm is the range you should look into, based on a Power Pro size chart I looked at.  It is also the range that LMG mentioned.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

coldfront

you guys!  have to be capable of converting english to metrics and back again!
lo

RayWolly

Quote from: Pferox on June 21, 2019, 08:08:08 AM
.20mm to.27mm is the range you should look into, based on a Power Pro size chart I looked at.  It is also the range that LMG mentioned.

The guy at the store said that 0.23mm was way too thick for my 15-40grams spinning rod..

coldfront

40 grams is about an ounce and a half.  a rod that can handle that weight, seems like you might 'want' the heavier braid.

as for rod, I'd think reel would be most important to 'right size'?

SteveTX

Spinning reels usually have the line specs that work best with it on the reel. If not look up the reel online and it should have some sort of guidelines on what it would work well with.

Pferox

Quote from: RayWolly on June 21, 2019, 09:01:19 AM
The guy at the store said that 0.23mm was way too thick for my 15-40grams spinning rod..

I've never seen guides that small.  Believe me I seriously doubt that that line is too big for your rod.  The reel might be a little small, but I also doubt it too, unless it is a 1000 series or maybe 2000, but I doubt you have gone that small for pike.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

RayWolly

Quote from: Pferox on June 21, 2019, 11:30:48 AM
I've never seen guides that small.  Believe me I seriously doubt that that line is too big for your rod.  The reel might be a little small, but I also doubt it too, unless it is a 1000 series or maybe 2000, but I doubt you have gone that small for pike.
I actually have a 2000 series reel for pike, is that not enough?

Pferox

Yea .23 would be too much for a 2000 reel.  I found a more accurate chart and discovered that 20lb line is .18 mm and is great for most fresh water fish around your way.  Your rod should handle it no problem, it is the reel capacity that is the concern, not the reel's strength, it should handle a pike fine.

I have a couple of 2000 series reels with 20lb braid on them and they work fine with what I catch inshore around here.  The reel I have has a rubber coating on the inside of it so I can tie braid directly to the spool, if your reel isn't braid ready you will have to use a short piece of mono line as backing, usually enough to wrap around the spool a couple of times. With that setup you could even handle some mid sized carp around the margins if the need arose.

I usually use a 3000 or 4000 series with braid when I'm targeting larger fish and or fish that can run a lot.  The runners usually see 20lb braid line spooled, the heavier fish will see 30 or 40lb braid line.

RayWolly

Quote from: Pferox on June 22, 2019, 02:21:40 PM
Yea .23 would be too much for a 2000 reel.  I found a more accurate chart and discovered that 20lb line is .18 mm and is great for most fresh water fish around your way.  Your rod should handle it no problem, it is the reel capacity that is the concern, not the reel's strength, it should handle a pike fine.

I have a couple of 2000 series reels with 20lb braid on them and they work fine with what I catch inshore around here.  The reel I have has a rubber coating on the inside of it so I can tie braid directly to the spool, if your reel isn't braid ready you will have to use a short piece of mono line as backing, usually enough to wrap around the spool a couple of times. With that setup you could even handle some mid sized carp around the margins if the need arose.

I usually use a 3000 or 4000 series with braid when I'm targeting larger fish and or fish that can run a lot.  The runners usually see 20lb braid line spooled, the heavier fish will see 30 or 40lb braid line.

Thanks for the reply, so a 2000 series reel is no problem for pike and walleye (in creeks, lakes and rivers) if I will use braided line of 0.19mm thickness?

Pferox

Yea that would work well.  If you already have the lighter line you can use it, I seriously doubt you will run into fish weighing more than 10lbs, it just won't last as long as the heavier line, Dragging in a fish covered with weeds does get heavy and can put a strain on your lighter line, but if you are very careful, you can get some use out of it.

Go fishing, catch fish, take pictures of where you are fishing, Post them on the site, we can then give you better ideas on gear, although I am quite sure that is a great zander rig for sure.