Best Baitcaster reel (and possibly rod) for relatively light lures

Started by RayWolly, June 26, 2019, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayWolly

Hi guys, I am aiming towards buying a baitcaster and was wondering what would be the best reel for lures from around 20 grams (~0,75 oz) to 60 grams (~2,25 oz.)
Mainly for Pike fishing, in creeks, lakes and rivers
And what would be a good suited rod for that, and btw, I have 0.18mm braided line, will that be sufficient?

Edit:
There are not many baitcaster reels available in my country, the ones I found in my price range:
Abu Revo 4 Winch
Abu Revo 4 X
Abu Toro Max 51
Daiwa Prorex 200HLA
Okuma Ceymar LP C-266WLX
Spro Rpt Baitcaster

Rods:
Spro Bait Shaft Blade Bait 180cm 20-85g
Savage MPP2 7'3\" 221cm Trigger (20-60 grams OR < 80 grams???)
Fox Rage Warrior 2 Pike Casting 225Cm 20-80g

LgMouthGambler

Thats 3/4oz-1.5 or so, thats not even close to light.  lo But just about any baitcaster will do for that.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pferox

I thought you were doing this with spinning gear?

Start out with mono or co-poly line until you learn how to cast flawlessly with that bait-caster because it can get expensive during the learning curve.  12 to 20lb test don't know what the mm equivalent would be, sorry.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

RayWolly

Quote from: Pferox on June 27, 2019, 08:35:34 AM
I thought you were doing this with spinning gear?

Start out with mono or co-poly line until you learn how to cast flawlessly with that bait-caster because it can get expensive during the learning curve.  12 to 20lb test don't know what the mm equivalent would be, sorry.
Yh but my friend just bought a baitcaster (black max combo) and I kind of like it. So I want to buy one too, he has 0.20mm braid on there and I used it for about an hour without getting any birds nests. So I am very tempted to buy one.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: RayWolly on June 27, 2019, 09:27:45 AM
Yh but my friend just bought a baitcaster (black max combo) and I kind of like it. So I want to buy one too, he has 0.20mm braid on there and I used it for about an hour without getting any birds nests. So I am very tempted to buy one.
I'd steer away from that and go for the Revo X Winch. I've had a BM low pro and it was fine for casual fishing. As soon as I started fishing regularly, it crapped out. Pinion yoke cracked, ground down the gears a bit, then I discovered the frame was flexing a LOT, and seemed permanently warped. I suspect that had something to do with it.
If you're only fishing occasionally for bass, I'd say it'd be fine. But pike? I'd give it one season, maybe. Then again, I may have just gotten a dud.

I currently have the Revo X HS and Winch. Love 'em both.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk