Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some advice on possible purchase and motor problem  (Read 477 times)

Greendog0125

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Need some advice on possible purchase and motor problem
« on: July 03, 2019, 02:51:29 PM »

I found a 95 Champion 190 Elite that is in amazing shape-mint. But has issues with the motor. It's a Johnson 200 Venom. Compression works out on all 6cyls- Range is 105 to 115. Here is what I know...

They just put in a brand new VRO pump (it was leaking) and that is when this air leak showed up. The mechanic put on a brand new ball and that didnít do it. The motor would stay primed. Mechanic had it running at low rpms but thatís it. Ball wonít stay hard. He believe an air leak but could not find it.

They used it all spring and it was running fine until the vro pump started to leak. Was still running but noticed gas in the water when motor was stopped. Then took the cover off and squeezed the ball and saw a small drip from vro.

They mentioned a Crankcase leak but not sure. Their Mech wasn't sure either. My question is with the Compression being good would it be worth it to Dump cash into it. Never rebuilt and they have taken Really good care of it. It is MINT condition. I could prob get it for 4500$

Thank you.

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
Re: Need some advice on possible purchase and motor problem
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:59:09 PM »

First, welcome to UB!  On your issue, I'm always scared about purchasing a boat that isn't running as it
should, because honestly, there is so many things, "it could be" and the major cost is always in the motor

For me, it would be a pass, just because there is no way to know if the motor is "fixable"  and you could easily end up with a $4500 hull.

That's just my thoughts, others may have a different look on it.

Again, welcome to the site!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Greendog0125

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »

Thanks Lee..  I know what you are saying and this isn't my 1st boat but damn she is a beauty for a 95. lol.. That's what makes it so tempting.  All updated and new gear- gauges.   Iv'e always been a gambler on these things and I'm trying to talk myself out of it :) but having a hard time. Thanks for the welcome to!

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »

I'm with Lee, it could go as deep as a crack in the block behind the VRO. That's worst case but possible.

I'd take it do a different mechanic and get a solid troubleshoot on it and go from there. It it takes $500 to fix it, get that knocked off the overall...
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.