Dobyns Dc744c W/ Daiwa Sv103 review

Started by zippyduck, July 04, 2019, 09:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippyduck

I decided to put the Dobyns DC744C W/ a Daiwa Sv103 to the test. The line I chose was Senshi 20 lb. for the other techniques.

I needed a pitching rod for the bank fishing I was doing. And it is my favorite rod bar none.

Of course I started by pitching a 1/4 oz Nutech Elite into brush, caught one small one and I mean 8 inches small.
Well I quickly put the jig away as this rod is a jig fishing machine in and out of cover. I tied on a senko as my wife lost a good one minutes before. I love to fish a senko weightless t-rigged and the rod had trouble pitching it because of the extra fast tip. But it skipped extremely well. Fished it for about an hour before I had enough of waiting for it to sink.
I soon realized that the fish trying to catch dragonflies were bass. Time for a topwater. Reached into my bag of tricks and pulled out a torpedo, again the weight of the lure was a little bit of a problem till I started to make sidearm casts. Keeping the little bass hooked up was not a problem though.

After the topwater bite slowed down I tied on a an underspin with a Lockett lures psycho shad. The combo handled it like it was built for it. I unfortunately missed the only bite.

The Daiwa SV103 handled every weight and technique with very little tuning between them.

I am sure that this rod was not meant for most of what I used it for and if I wanted an all around rod I would have chosen differently. But I knew I needed the power to get fish out of the cover.

I would use this rod again for most of what I did but would make sure that everything weighed more than 1/4 oz.

Now I have to say this:

Thank goodness I have many different rods as this is crazy!!!!!!!!!! ~roflmao
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

MrSmitty

I have the same setup and it is awesome. I'm running a zillion sv on my 744c with 20 lb sniper. The other day I ended up running a 1/2 oz swinging jig head w/ a 8 inch worm.  I do love this setup!

zippyduck

Quote from: MrSmitty on July 05, 2019, 10:23:19 AM
I have the same setup and it is awesome. I'm running a zillion sv on my 744c with 20 lb sniper. The other day I ended up running a 1/2 oz swinging jig head w/ a 8 inch worm.  I do love this setup!

Yes it is awesome!
I run of course jigs, but also t-rigs, c-rigs, wobble heads, and underspins with it. It just gives me the feel I want for bottom contact. The Daiwa Sv103 is the 7.9:1 version which helps me stay in contact with the lures.

caddyjoe77

An SV 103 on pretty much everything is the way to roll.

That reel just freaking does everything well.
BeerMe

zippyduck

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on July 05, 2019, 11:17:32 PM
An SV 103 on pretty much everything is the way to roll.

That reel just freaking does everything well.

I wish I could find more of them.  ~xyz

Bud Kennedy

Are you guys talking about the Steez? or the TW

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 06, 2019, 09:30:03 AM
Are you guys talking about the Steez? or the TW
They are talking about the SV103 that has been discontinued.

Capt. BassinLou

It's a nice reel, I haven't used mine for a while, but its caught me a bunch of frogging bass. ;)