Dobyns Extreme 743 4th of July Review

Started by ʇuǝɹq™, July 09, 2019, 12:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ʇuǝɹq™

So I participated in the 4th of July contest, and here's my review.

Rod: Dobyns Extreme 743
Reel: Lew's Team Lite
Line: 15lb Seaguar InvisX 

Baits:
3/16 oz. Outkast Tackle Shake 'Em Down Shakey Head with a Zoom green pumpkin trick worm
3/8 oz. Ike Mini Flip California Love jig
Strike King Tennessee Shad 3XD

Extreme 743:
The Extreme 743 is by far my most favorite rod for a shakey head. It has a great tip for skipping under docks, and the 3 power is more than enough to get them out. The sensitivity in the rod is perfect for feeling those real subtle bites.
I was curious too see how it would handle the Ike Mini Flip, and I wasn't disappointed. Just like with the shakey head, this rod performed flawlessly. I was able to make precise casts, and the rod had enough power to drive in the hook on long casts.
The 3XD was the odd ball in the group. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I was pleasantly surprised. The 3XD doesn't have too much drag, so the rod loaded up on it pretty well. It wouldn't be my go to rod for this technique, but it would work good if I was in a pinch or if I needed to rig up a second crank rod for a back seater.

Lew's Team Lite: The Team Lite works great for light baits whether I'm skipping under a dock, or making a long cast across a flat or point. Definitely cant go wrong with this reel. I have yet to find a technique or bait that I cant cast.

Seaguar InvisX: My all around preferred fluoro. I use it in 12lb all the way up to 25lb. Low memory, strong, low stretch, strong, durable, and strong.

3/16oz Outkast Tackle Shake 'Em Down Shakey Head Jig:
I have used many, many different types of shakey head jigs looking for one that fits me best. I throw mine on bait caster so I needed one that would skip well, and also have a strong hook that wouldn't bend. I found it with this one. I have caught numerous fish in the 5 to 7lb range on this jig head with no issues of the hook bending out like I have with others. I'm really impressed with the other products that Outkast puts out as well, and no, I'm not on their prostaff, I just really like their stuff.

Ike Mini Flip:
This jig is my favorite. Extremely versatile. I can flip it, swim it, or drag it out deep and the fish eat it (for me anyways). I always get great hookups, and the hook is strong. They're definitely the first jig I reach for when tying one on.

Strike King 3XD:
These baits have been reviewed a million times over. Not too much I could really dive into on these.

I hope you find this review helpful, and I'll gladly answer any questions.

zippyduck

You are qualified and Thanks for a nice clean report. Any pics?

I am going to have to look into the 743. It looks more versatile than I thought.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

MrSmitty

Great review, thank you!

I've been sitting on a brand new SV Tatula that needs a rod........I think I might have found it now.  Looks like it worked good with a shakey head,  what do you think about a 6/7 inch senkos?

D.W. Verts

Wow. I wasn't doing nothin' special when I picked a Dobyns!
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 09, 2019, 09:08:02 PM

No 4 out of 5 are Dobyns reviews so far. and I hear that there may be a few more.  ;)

Great minds think alike.  ;D
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ʇuǝɹq™

Quote from: MrSmitty on July 09, 2019, 06:40:20 PM
Great review, thank you!

I've been sitting on a brand new SV Tatula that needs a rod........I think I might have found it now.  Looks like it worked good with a shakey head,  what do you think about a 6/7 inch senkos?

I throw weightless and wacky rigged senkos on it all the time. It was the original reason I bought the 743, but then I realized how awesome of a shakey rod that is too.

ʇuǝɹq™

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 09, 2019, 09:08:02 PM

Best rods on the market!

ʇuǝɹq™

Quote from: zippyduck on July 09, 2019, 05:55:19 PM
You are qualified and Thanks for a nice clean report. Any pics?

I am going to have to look into the 743. It looks more versatile than I thought.

Zippy, I didn't take any pics. When I'm by myself I usually forget too unless its a rather large one.