ICAST Cup Toho Report

Started by FlatsNBay, July 09, 2019, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

I had the chance to fish the ICAST Cup bass tournament today on Lake Toho as a member of the media. The way it works is a sponsor sets up a team with a pro, representative from the sponsor and member of the media for a 3 man team. There was a 5 fish limit for each team. FLW handled all of the logistics for the tournament including the weigh in that was live streamed. All proceeds from the tournament was donated to the Keep America Fishing organization. This year, the total amount donated exceeded $10,000! The tournament was 0630-1030.

The day began with a check in at 0530 then a rules briefing by FLW tournament director Bill Taylor. Our team sponsor was an auto body dealership in SC and Travis Weathers and teammate Josh were both from SC as well. After launching, all boats gathered up at the marina for an invocation from FLW tour Pro Blake Smith along with the national anthem. It was so cool and felt it like we were fishing a big time tournament!

And now to the fishing. We were boat 2 so we got our pick of the spot. We ran Travis' brand new Phoenix to a grass island that was really good to him and Josh during practice. We worked the outside grass line with worms and swimbaits and picked up a few here and there, all small. You could tell that it was a pretty good spot because one of the local guides showed up and camped out on the point of the island. We worked back and forth and it was slow going. We moved back into the island and caught a couple of fish that culled smaller ones. We finished our day weighing in 7-9. It was slow for us.

The highlight of the day was walking across the big stage and being interviewed about our day. I had a great time fishing with both Travis and his buddy Josh. They are really good guys. We had a great time and shared a bunch of laughs. Im not sure what the winning weight was or how we placed, but it was fun none the less.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Sounds like fun!! Thank you for sharing FLATS. Did anything jump out at you at this years show?

FlatsNBay

The show starts tomorrow. Peter T's team from Lew's fishing won with 20-4.

We came in 31st.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

BarryFL

Very nice! Water is a little low and FWC just pulled several acres of hydrilla out of the north end. Glad you caught some fish and hopefully learned something from the pros.

~Barry~

~Barry~

LgMouthGambler

That's awesome. Looks like it was a great time.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

Flats,

That sounds like a really fun day. It is always fun getting to fish with a pro.

Thanks for the write-up.

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire