Anyone Hydro Dipping Reels?

Started by Brian in VA, July 10, 2019, 01:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian in VA

I ask because I have a few ideas for fundraiser for a charity bass tournament coming up in November, and wanted to see if this was something anyone was doing that I could speak with. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Brian in VA on July 10, 2019, 01:07:49 PM
I ask because I have a few ideas for fundraiser for a charity bass tournament coming up in November, and wanted to see if this was something anyone was doing that I could speak with.

Never heard of this until right now. Interesting.

Brian in VA

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 10, 2019, 01:24:25 PM
Never heard of this until right now. Interesting.

Ive seen people hydro dip everything from Yeti mugs to gun barrels - I figured reels could be done too.

ike8120

Don't want to sound ignorant but what is Hydro Dipping?
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

DonM

Quote from: ike8120 on July 10, 2019, 02:33:45 PM
Don't want to sound ignorant but what is Hydro Dipping?
Me neither.  Here's what I found.
Hydrographics or HydroGraphics, also known as immersion printing, water transfer printing, water transfer imaging, hydro dipping, watermarbling or cubic printing, is a method of applying printed designs to three-dimensional surfaces. The resulting combinations may be considered decorative art or applied art. Wikipedia
DonM

Mike Cork

It wouldn't be hard to do along with a cleaning or anytime you have the reel taken apart. The problem is the equipment. I've thought about getting set up to do it but have only had like three people ever ask.

It would probably be best to contact anyone that does the dipping and ship them the parts. Not sure what the cost would be.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Mike over at HawgTech used to do it. He did some crazy carbon fiber dip to one of his Quantum Accurists. Its pretty neat, and durable. He actually still has the reel, and he showed it to me the other day. Maybe give them an email and ask him.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

I've seen everything dipped you can imagine. A guy I know leased out a building to some guys that started a dipping business. The process is pretty fascinating or it was for me. The drawback is there can be a ton of prep work and finish work as well depending on what it is your coating.

I've seen almost entire side by sides dipped, all kinds a guns, PC parts like cases, keyboards, and mouse. Car wheels, mirrors, the inside of headlights, and other lights, engine parts on show vehicles, interior parts of cars and trucks, etc etc. Seriously just about anything can be dipped if your machine is big enough. As the part has to literally be able to be "dipped".

The thing they said, and I see this with reels, is things with precision fit like guns they wanted to do the assembly. When you dip things like say a side cover, and the the frame of a reel it adds a thin layers to each component. This could make the side cover extremely tight or even not fit. So when you start coating things like slides on pistols they wanted to be the ones to put everything back in tolerance. They actually had certified gun smith licenses from some school so they were able to do guns. That was one of the biggest complaints people sending in parts to guns and then when they got them back everything was too tight.