Rod suggestions

Started by Jacobguy, July 11, 2019, 02:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacobguy

Hey everybody I'm looking for a rod to start out, I'll mostly be fishing out of the Inland lakes of Michigan and every so often the big lakes. Whay kind of rod do you guys think I should get? I want somthing that's pretty wel rounded that I can still use for bass, walleye, pike, salmon ect. all the usual freshwater fish. I've been looking at the uglystik medium 6.5 and 7's. Am I heading in the right direction? Should I be looking at lights? Heavys? Ultralights? Medium heavys? I just figured medium would have me the most well rounded. Thanks so much for the insight guys. Also should i be looking for a spinning rod or baitcaster?

Thanks

Jacobguy

Added note I'm only 16 and my price range is fairly low let's say 0-90 but I suppose with some sweet talk my parents might let me drop more money.

zippyduck

Oh my!

What you are asking for does not exist. A salmon rod needs to be a moderate action to handle long runs and to keep them pinned.
A bass rod for all applications is tough to find and is no where the same as a salmon rod.
A walleye rod is much closer to a bass rod but usually a lighter action.
Pike are on another level also. A big heavy action rod is a must to get them out of the weeds they live in.

Throw out the Salmon in this equation and a Mh 7'-7'6" should be able to handle most of what you need.

How much do you have to spend on the rod and then how much for a reel?
We will work from there.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Jacobguy

@zippyyduck Lol, mind my lack of knowledge I apologize for it I'm just getting into the sport and learning. My budget is let's say 200 for now but I'll have to play it by ear with my dad. I have the money its just if I'm allowed to spend the money. Thanks! Let me know what you think.

gtrpickr

Get a Dobyns Fury or Colt 734 and a Daiwa fuego ct or Shimano SLX
you should be able to get this setup for under $200 and would be a good all around rig to get you started.

Jacobguy

Yes I was looking at the dobyns too would I be better off spending the extra money for a colt or go with the fury? Im thinking a medium fast action 7ft rod unless you have better advice? And it seems either the shimano or daiwa baitcasters are pretty good?

Thanks.

Capt. BassinLou

Jacobguy welcome to UB. Since I have never fished for 3 out of the 4 species you plan to fish for, I cannot be too much help, but since you mentioned bass fishing. The Dobyns Fury 734/735 models are pretty solid MH rods. Pair it with a Shimano Citica I and you will have very good setup pretty close to your budget range. Good luck, and please report back when you decide on what you are going to get.

Jacobguy

Hey Bassinlou yes I was just looking at the 734 also suggested by gtpickr, so you guys would reccomend a heavy? And this could still handle smaller baits for bass? I was under the impression you couldnt use things like tubes/smaller lures with heavy rods although I have no idea what I'm talking about you guys do just clarifying. And yes of course I'll report back I plan on sticking around in this forum to learn. After this I'll post a new thread in the reel section asking about the daiwa fuego ct/ shimano slx/ shimano citica I'm not sure what's better so I'm out to learn. Thanks so much everyone.

gtrpickr

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 11, 2019, 04:20:11 PM
Jacobguy welcome to UB. Since I have never fished for 3 out of the 4 species you plan to fish for, I cannot be too much help, but since you mentioned bass fishing. The Dobyns Fury 734/735 models are pretty solid MH rods. Pair it with a Shimano Citica I and you will have very good setup pretty close to your budget range. Good luck, and please report back when you decide on what you are going to get.
+1 on the citica, I found mine new for $100 I dont think you can go wrong with either a Shimano or Daiwa reel.
If you can swing the extra $$ for the Fury I would do it I have a Fury 734 and it is a really nice rod. I have handled the colts at the store and they seem like really good rods for 80 bucks

gtrpickr

Quote from: Jacobguy on July 11, 2019, 04:27:39 PM
Hey Bassinlou yes I was just looking at the 734 also suggested by gtpickr, so you guys would reccomend a heavy? And this could still handle smaller baits for bass? I was under the impression you couldnt use things like tubes/smaller lures with heavy rods although I have no idea what I'm talking about you guys do just clarifying. And yes of course I'll report back I plan on sticking around in this forum to learn. After this I'll post a new thread in the reel section asking about the daiwa fuego ct/ shimano slx/ shimano citica I'm not sure what's better so I'm out to learn. Thanks so much everyone.
even tho the 734 says it's a heavy it handles more like a med hvy and I have not had any problems fishing 1/4 oz t-rigs and spinnerbaits with it.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Jacobguy on July 11, 2019, 04:27:39 PM
A 734 may be listed as H rod, but when compared to other brands it's a MMH if that makes sense. The 735 is more like a MHH. Hopefully that makes some sense.

gtrpickr

zippyduck

I highly recommend the Colt 734 and it will work for everything except the Salmon. I have caught the other three on a 734.

Now a reel is between the Daiwa Fuego or a Shimano Citica. To keep in your budget and still get a quality reel.

Spend some time on Ebay to find a good deal on them.

I did not recommend anything till I was sure I knew what you needed.

Capt. BassinLou

As far as reels go, my best advice is be patient, research, ask questions, and go handle the reels you are shopping for if possible. Reels may look awesome on paper or in the screen in front of you, until you handle one. You may find that one brand doesn't palm right for your liking and vice versa.

Jacobguy

Thanks guys for the help it's looking like I'll probably be getting the dobyns colt 734c and the daiwa or shimano citica (if I can find a deal). Now I have another question is it ok to buy used? Theres a lot of "like new" Citicas on ebay what could be the risk? Thanks. And I cant feel the feel myself like bassinlou said to see if it sets right with me.

zippyduck

Go to a store that has them and ask if you can put a reel on a rod to feel it. They generally don't have a problem with it.

Jacobguy

Alright that's perfect theres a bass pro near my house I'll go after I get back from vacation. 5 minutes ago we actually just booked a charter for bay fishing in maryland, should be a lot of fun.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Jacobguy on July 11, 2019, 05:14:02 PM
Alright that's perfect theres a bass pro near my house I'll go after I get back from vacation. 5 minutes ago we actually just booked a charter for bay fishing in maryland, should be a lot of fun.

With a BPS that close to you, you will definitely have the opportunity to check out several reels. Unfortunately you won't be able to handle any Dobyn rods while you are there however. But... if you have an Academy sporting goods in your area, if I'm not mistaken, some of their locations do carry Dobyn Rods. Happy hunting!!  ;PEP)

zippyduck

Another place to look at Dobyns for sale is on facebook.
Dobyns has a Dobyns sale site and a Dobyns Rods Community.
Lots of rods are put up for sale on these sites.

Jacobguy

Thanks guys, also so buying used stuff is fine? What line should I use? And I'm a righty do I buy a left hand reel or right hand reel?
Thanks

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Jacobguy on July 11, 2019, 06:52:48 PM
Thanks guys, also so buying used stuff is fine? What line should I use? And I'm a righty do I buy a left hand reel or right hand reel?
Thanks
Buying used has its pro's and con's if you know what to look for. By the sounds of it, you are very new to baitcasting reels. Imho I wouldn't go the used route just yet, unless your buying from a trusted source and have some sort of warranty. I would say get some time under your belt and buy new. There are several great reels at or under $100.

As far as line. Get yourself some cheaper monofilament line and practice with a casting plug. Practice... practice.. .practice... then start to experiment with other lines.

As far what side the reel handle should be on..... this topic always brings up hearty discussions... lol

I'm from the rule of thought, if you are right arm dominant, then use your dominant arm to handle the rod. Which would mean buy a left handed reel. If you are left arm dominant like me for example, I use right handed reels. But like I said, this is hot topic for many, so many will disagree with this suggestion.

Hopefully this info helps you a bit. Good luck!!

Jacobguy

Perfect a left handed reel is what I've always used so that's great. Any specific brands you have in mind for the monofilament line? Thanks.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Jacobguy on July 11, 2019, 07:30:59 PM
Perfect a left handed reel is what I've always used so that's great. Any specific brands you have in mind for the monofilament line? Thanks.
There are so many to choose from... for $10 at Walmart, you can buy a big spool of Big Game Trilene and that will last you for a long while. I would start with 12-15lb line.

Jacobguy

Thanks so much so I think I've got down what I'm going to get

Dobyns Colt 734c $79.99

Daiwa Fuego CT LH $74.99

Monofilament line 12-15 lb $12

I'm going with the daiwa because I cant afford the citica new, from what I've learned here it's still a great bait caster.

I've attached this screenshot of the reel because I'm not sure which one to get in the future, they're both Daiwa Fuego CT. Sorry I had to crop it so much to make it fit.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Jacobguy on July 11, 2019, 07:47:44 PM
Thanks so much so I think I've got down what I'm going to get

Dobyns Colt 734c $79.99

Daiwa Fuego CT LH $74.99

Monofilament line 12-15 lb $12

I'm going with the daiwa because I cant afford the citica new, from what I've learned here it's still a great bait caster.

I've attached this screenshot of the reel because I'm not sure which one to get in the future, they're both Daiwa Fuego CT. Sorry I had to crop it so much to make it fit.
Your budget dictates what you can get, and from the list you have, you got yourself a nice starting outfit. Enjoy!! Remember to come back and report on your new outfit.