Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

Wizard

The Yellow Magic popper has been around for a couple of decades. It has always been expensive. Bone is a great color and comes in two shades. Old guys called the shades old bone and new bone. Bud's lure is old bone. New bone is an almost white color.

Wizard

Smallie_Stalker

I don't know about newer ones but the older ones were a bit different than the Pop-R. The cupping in the face was shallower so it spit more than popped, and the overall profile and sides were thinner. Plus the feathers vs. the what is used on the Pop-R. The Yellow Magic could be fished with a faster forward motion than a standard Pop-R and they seemed to walk with less of a twitch of the rod tip.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

I have been fishing Yellow Magic for a number of years.  I have some 1/4oz and a 1/2oz in my stash but wanted another 1/2 oz of the old style if I could find it.  I was pleased to find this one in Michigan and jumped at the chance to buy.  He only had one that was New In Box and I wanted it.  As smallie mentioned it does have a different cup in the front that creates a totally different "spit" and the angle when sitting in the water is a bit lower than the newer versions even though the differences are small.  The big deal with this lure is that the hooks are wicked sharp and each lure comes with point protectors on the trebles to protect the points until ready to use.  FYI the 1/4oz is a tough deal in the wind thus the 1/2 oz is a better choice in most conditions.  This lure is not good to tough grass.  It snags up an everything it comes near due to the mega sharp hooks.

Oldfart9999

Is it similar to the Rico that Clunn dotes on? He tends to fish it fast, made a lot of money with it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.