Ultimate frog rod quest

Started by zippyduck, July 17, 2019, 12:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippyduck

I am headed to Guntersville in October, prime frogging time. So instead of taking just one frogging rod, I wanted to have a backup. But then I decided to buy the lightest high end rod for frogging I could find.
Well I have decided to buy a Dobyns Xtasy 755c as it is the lightest mag heavy rod with the length and castability I was looking for.

Now which reel to put on it. I have several I could switch over to it like a Daiwa SV103, an Abu Garcia STX, A Daiwa Zillion svtw, and a Daiwa Tatula ct Type-R. I know a strong build is most important but also I need lots of line capacity as the Toray guides on the Xtasy will allow really long casts.

So is there a perfect frog reel?
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: zippyduck on July 17, 2019, 12:09:47 PM
I am headed to Guntersville in October, prime frogging time. So instead of taking just one frogging rod, I wanted to have a backup. But then I decided to buy the lightest high end rod for frogging I could find.
Well I have decided to buy a Dobyns Xtasy 755c as it is the lightest mag heavy rod with the length and castability I was looking for.

Now which reel to put on it. I have several I could switch over to it like a Daiwa SV103, an Abu Garcia STX, A Daiwa Zillion svtw, and a Daiwa Tatula ct Type-R. I know a strong build is most important but also I need lots of line capacity as the Toray guides on the Xtasy will allow really long casts.

So is there a perfect frog reel?

There multiple reels that will serve you well for frogging applications. Keep this mind however. On the SV103, its a good reel for frogging, not great, but good, (I already sent mine to the reel DR.  lo ) the shallow spool will be a factor if you like bombing frogs. The braid you decide to use will have to be under 50lbs. Unless you use PP MaxCuatro, you will be ok. If you throw regular 65lb braid, you will spool the reel. Ask me how I know.  lo lo In your case Zip, since I see you are Daiwa fan, the Zillion or Tats will be just fine. I wouldn't go spending too $$ on a frogging reel, because the frogging is brutal on reels. Think workhorse reels and you will be happy. You can always modify the reel with better bearings and a longer CF handle with bigger knobs.

Bud Kennedy

Zippy, I have used my Daiwa SVTW104 reels at Guntersville on two separate rallies.  They performed just great and had absolutely no problems and did not have any issues afterward.  I do believe yours will be just fine unless you are just hankering to buy something new for your new Dobyns.  I used 50lb power pro each year and also did not have a problem.  It is possible to spool a shallow reel but unless you cast like Lee Smith I doubt it will happen that much.  I have not spooled by reels ever, so I don't even think about it anymore.

When Lee casts a frog it looks like it has rocket assist.

SteveTX

Lew's® SuperDuty G Model SDG1SH
I know its not the most expensive reel or the lightest weight although still a respectable 7.7 oz.. This is due to its very solid built design. Brass gears, 20lb drag, Braid-ready deep capacity spool, with a 95mm handle all designed for slop fishing. I have literally punished mine and it just begs for more. Still smooth as butter and it casts equally as well.

Dink Dawg

Hey Zippy,  The Xtasy is a little lighter than a " mag Heavy."  I'm not trying to sway you away but it's not a Champion 736. Just wanted you to know. It's still the most amazing build I've ever owned and and for contact stuff there's nothing better IMO. Torzite guides allow Long cast with braid. your STX would have more spool capacity.  The Tatula 150 would be awesome. I'm jealous......Gunterville. Too far to drive for this old Dawg.

mygreenihc

Zippy,  that is a question that I cannot answer.  They won't let my type in that section of the store.   ;D

Don't you come down there flashing that thing around and force me to upgrade all my junk.  I have been perfectly happy with my line of Extremes and Champions.....   ;D

Brad

zippyduck

Quote from: Dink Dawg on July 17, 2019, 02:50:48 PM
Hey Zippy,  The Xtasy is a little lighter than a " mag Heavy."  I'm not trying to sway you away but it's not a Champion 736. Just wanted you to know. It's still the most amazing build I've ever owned and and for contact stuff there's nothing better IMO. Torzite guides allow Long cast with braid. your STX would have more spool capacity.  The Tatula 150 would be awesome. I'm jealous......Gunterville. Too far to drive for this old Dawg.

Dink,

I knew I was wrong when I typed it but never got around to fixing it. And I have a DC736 and did not want another one. I like the 736 but think a long 5 power would be better for what I want to do. If not then I have another fantastic bottom contact rod.

zippyduck

UGH! I have to wait a month for the rod to come in.  :'(

Lee Smith

yo reel better have a good frame...just sayin'  ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

zippyduck

Quote from: Lee Smith on July 17, 2019, 04:46:58 PM
yo reel better have a good frame...just sayin'  ;)

My spinnin rod has a strong bail.  ;D

caddyjoe77

Shimano exsence DC but I spool mine pretty regularly with 65 pound braid on a 735 savvy.  Not much of a shimano guy except a couple and that's one of them no doubt.

Will get a new frog rod eventually I guess. Have a Denali rosewood with an exsence as well.

To me you want drag, a big handle and brass gear internals. Maybe a spool of 150 yards.
BeerMe