Rods, Are We Over Doing It ?

Started by Bud Kennedy, July 17, 2019, 03:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I realize that I am just a joe schmo angler.  My skills are not all that great although I do like to buy quality products.  Sure enough I have a couple Lee Smith Rods and a few Dobyns rods.  So now after using these products for a few years, I have come to the conclusion that while these rods are different, in many ways they are the same.  LSCR owners will tell you that their rods are works of art and and produced at the highest quality based on the selections we specify.  Truthfully no "rack" rod could ever match the thrill of something made just for you.  My Dobyns rods are high quality but not the upper end variety.  All of them ae Fury models and they are solid performers.  The only rod that I have ever purchased as a presentation specic purpose was a Dobyns 735C purchased just for use as a frog rod.  Since owning it I have used it for many other presentation styles from Pitching to spinnerbaits and on through lipless cranks and other crank baits.  It works well for all these things.

All of my other rods have also found their way onto the deck because they do many things not just a specific presentation.

I don't think I could tell the difference between a 703 and a 704, do I really need both?  I guess I have come to the conclusion that most of my rods have versitility traits far beyond the original reason to purchase.  Perhaps the one rod challenge of July 4th may have revealed some of the same thoughts that are on my mind today.

Bottom line is .....Do I really need a 703 when I already have the mac daddy of rods in the LSCR that already performs this service.  Tomorrow I will have three rods on the deck.  One for plastics, one for chatterbaits and cranks.  The third rod will probably just go along for the ride but could be for Weighted craws.

Wizard

I'm in total agreement, Bud.  If there were industry wide agreements on power, flex and materials we would know how every rod should perform. Few custom rod makers build their own blanks. Most buy blanks from manufacturers.
There are two schools of thought in deciding between a rod manufacturer and a custom rod maker. A rod manufacturer such as Dobyns, builds quality rods and gives them a number designation. A Dobyns 735 will have the same quality, power, flex and materials as any other Dobyns rod labeled 735. You are paying for quality and consistency in a Dobyns rod.. A custom builder will make a rod to YOUR specifications. He will build for rod length, power, flex, component material, graphics, handle design and length, in essence a custom maker will build your dream. Given that blanks and blank costs are equal, a custom rod will cost more. As an example, my custom rods have unique graphics and threading. The threading alone takes 10-12 hours. Counting component cost and labor, a custom rod can be expensive.
Another decision to make is too be technique specific or have all rods the same. An individual decision for all anglers.

Wizard

zippyduck

Bud,

Sometimes I have the same thoughts but then look at my deck and it is always close to the same lures on each rod every trip.
LSCR has a jerkbait or Locket Lures Psycho shad swimbait. Not what I bought it for but it has found it niche there for me.
Dc744c has a jig always. Whether a hula grub or Nu-Tech.
Dc735cb has a squarebill or a chatterbait.
SA734 is my wild card it has something as a back up for other rods or a spinnerbait.
DC736c has a frog or t-rig depending on the fish.
Sa703sf has a dropshot or splitshot rig.

Then my old rods when they make the trip
Abu Villain MH has t-rig or jig
Shimano Compres MH have a whopper plopper or senko. Seldom make the trip anymore.
Lews Speedstick that white rod has never even had a reel on it. Still has the tags on it.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Donald Garner

Bud interesting article here. 

I have (22) rods I have on hand that I use for fishing.  (2) of the rods are my Lee Smith Custom Rods (LSCR's).  The other (20) rods are all BPS Extreme 7ft Casting Rods in Med Action, Med Hvy Action and Heavy Action.  All of the BPS rods have split grip cork handles with fast tips.

I keep them stored in each boat already to head out to the water.  I don't have to unload and reload the boats.  I just hook up to which ever one I'm fishing out of that day.

(12) of these BPS Extreme rods are kept in the Stratos and used for as listed below.
(3) Med Action used for fishing 1/4 - 3/4oz Crankbaits
(5) Med Hvy Action used for fishing 1/4 - 3/8 oz Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Top water, Jerkbaits, Jigging spoons, Jigs, Texas Rigged Tubes, worms, craws and creature baits
(4) Hvy Action used for Flipping and pitching>>> Big Texas Rigged Soft Plastics Worms, Tube baits & Lizards, Jig & pigs, Frogging

Lee Smith Custom Rods (LSCR's)
(1) LSCR 7ft (MH) used for fishing Texas Rigged Soft Plastics
(1) LSCR 7ft (H) used for fishing Texas Rigged Soft Plastics

( 8 ) of these BPS Extreme rods are kept for use in my G3 or when Co-Angling with some one.
(6) Med Hvy Action 1/4 - 3/8 oz Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Top water, Jerkbaits, Jigging spoons, Jigs, Texas Rigged Tubes, worms, craws and creature baits. Also used for fishing 1/4 - 1/2oz Crankbaits.
(2) Hvy Action used for heavy cover flipping and pitching soft plastics and frogging.

There are times when I'll have multiple rods rigged with the same type of bait ie.  Spinnerbaits > 1/4 oz Double Colorado Firetiger / Bleeding Shad.  A 3/8 oz Willowleaf w/ Colorado blade in Firetiger / "woops"y Shad / Bleeding shad. 

I'll do the same thing with crankbaits also ie. 1/4oz on one rod, 1/2 oz on another and 3/4oz on another all the same type ie "woops"y Shad.

My LSCR's depending on the season I'll have a Texas rigged Lizard rigged on one.  The other one will have a Texas Rigged Beaver type bait.  Or I'll have the same bait tied on but in different colors.

Quote from: Wizard on July 17, 2019, 05:00:50 PM

Another decision to make is too be technique specific or have all rods the same. An individual decision for all anglers.

Wizard

I'm of this mindset  ;)

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

2 pros, Rick Clunn and Denny Brauer are or were advocates of keeping all the rods the same because the only difference would be the weight of the bait, just pick up a different outfit and your casting remains the same. I look at someone like KVD and he's got different rods, same manufacturer  but different actions, length and material. The three of them are some of the very best to fish for a living, different thoughts, take your pick.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

I have an arsenal of different rods, from different manufacturers. They all have their pros and cons. I will usually buy them when I find them on a good deal. For instance, I recently got a ARK Sniper rod. I wouldnt normally buy this rod at the $200 MSRP price, but I got it for $90 shipped to me brand new. EVA grips, and stout blank, good guides, and a nice reel seat. I actually took it out Wednesday night with me to drag a worm under the bridge. I wanted to see what it was like sensitivity wise. I was quite surprised at how good this rod was. Even felt the "thunk" of a 5lber eat the worm. She shook off, but it was a good experience with the rod.

Youll never know what you are gonna get, or are getting until you get the rod in your hands, and on the water. Its kind of half the fun, and the main reason why I always just look for a deal, then give it a shot.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

coldfront

5 basic rods now.
801 (8 foot heavy action):  swimbaits, punching
7.5 foot rods, MH action, xfast:  heavier apps.  jigs, trigs, crigs, big cranks.  swimbaits (lighter), frogs
7.5 rods MH action, fast:  squarebills, buzzbaits, bladed jigs, swimjigs, weightless soft plastics, topwaters.
spinning rods:  6'10" dropshots, small swimbaits, finesse trigs

so I carry typically 8-10 rods in the boat on any given outing.  mix/match line sizes/types (braid, flouro, mono) depending on what I am planning on doing.

have about 20 combos 'on the rack' as part of the 'stable'.

but just 4 basic rods.  plus a few in the 'short' version (7 footers)

I like fast actions, xfast actions and stiff, sensitive rods.  I can adapt my hands, 'feel' to keep them buttoned up.  but if I can't feel them, it's hard to set the hooks.  and if the rod is too soft, it's hard to set the hooks.

hog head

Don't know much about custom bass rods.  I have 4 different dybons champion extreme XP rods and have used some of my buddies different rods and wouldn't trade my rods for anything . I do know I started fly fishing and bought medium level rods and was happy until I casted my buddies sage rod what a difference.  Then I found a custom rod maker his rods are the same or less than a sage depending on model and I think having a rod customize to you is the way to go. Every bit the quality of a high end sage less money and built how I want. I wish i didn't come across this thread now i will be looking into custom bass rods lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hog head

Texted my fly rod builder last night and he said he builds bass rods too. I'll be calling him today.

coldfront

Quote from: hog head on February 20, 2020, 09:18:51 AM
Texted my fly rod builder last night and he said he builds bass rods too. I'll be calling him today.

you just had to go there didn't you?

lo

hog head

You guys started it lol

Jacobguy

Quote from: coldfront on February 20, 2020, 09:21:04 AM
you just had to go there didn't you?

lo
This is the best laugh I've had all week. I have 2 rods soon to be 3 once I get around to order the dang thing. First I wanna say I have a Fury 734C, I use my brothers BPS Carbonlite somtimes and dont get me wrong it's a nice rod but the Dobyns is just truly a step above IMO. I would like to get one more outfit past my current rods specifically for frogging, pitching, and heavy grass. Other then that I'll be set for a while, atleast that's what I tell myself now. ;)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

hog head

A while is usually 1 or 2 fishing trips then you find a way to justify the next rod lol

zippyduck

Quote from: hog head on February 20, 2020, 08:04:49 PM
A while is usually 1 or 2 fishing trips then you find a way to justify the next rod lol

Every fishing trip reminds us of what we don't have.  ;D

I have a small arsenal of Dobyns and one Custom and if the guy ever starts to make more costoms I will have more.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: zippyduck on February 20, 2020, 09:14:44 PM
Every fishing trip reminds us of what we don't have.  ;D

I have a small arsenal of Dobyns and one Custom and if the guy ever starts to make more costoms I will have more.
A SMALL arsenal??? Yeah, and I'm skinny.

And I agree with you about that guy. I have 2 of his custom builds (neither of which is anywhere close to as nice as yours) and I would have a few more if he ever starts building again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FD

A note about custom rods vs high end manufactured rods.

I build custom, high performance, super sensitive rods for a select few clients, that rival the high end $400 St Croix's at about 70% of the cost.

These are not works of art with complicated thread weaves or machined aluminum real seats. But these are super light, make a thousand casts a day, tourney rods.

This is not solicitation for my rod business, I just wanted y'all to know there are options.

Honestly, if you knew how easy it is to build them, you would build your own.

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

TNDiver

Quote from: FD on February 21, 2020, 11:03:52 AM

This is not solicitation for my rod business, I just wanted y'all to know there are options.

Honestly, if you knew how easy it is to build them, you would build your own.
Good to know, but I had to laugh when I read this at the end:

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right... ~roflmao
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

FishinBuck07

Quote from: Jacobguy on February 20, 2020, 06:10:58 PM
This is the best laugh I've had all week. I have 2 rods soon to be 3 once I get around to order the dang thing. First I wanna say I have a Fury 734C, I use my brothers BPS Carbonlite somtimes and dont get me wrong it's a nice rod but the Dobyns is just truly a step above IMO. I would like to get one more outfit past my current rods specifically for frogging, pitching, and heavy grass. Other then that I'll be set for a while, atleast that's what I tell myself now. ;)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah I said all of the same things about 5 rods ago!   ~roflmao

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Donald Garner

Dale, tks for sharing the article with us. ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Captsteve

Thanks DW

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Dink Dawg

In the 80's and 90's I built my own rods because I couldn't get what I wanted from a manufacture at a price I was willing to pay. That went for fly rods, steel head rods and especially bass rods.  Bass fishing became so much more popular and with it manufactures of rods have expanded exponentially. I can't build a rod for the same cost as I can buy them off the shelf.

As far as going overboard regarding the necessity of multiple rods for various techniques, that's up to your demands and budget.  Finding consistency in powers and actions industry wide will not happen. The ratings used by manufactures are too ingrained in the industry. I like Dobyns rods. That's no secrete.  There are several reasons why.  One to focus on is the CONSISTENCY in the progression of the powers. I can choose a power and know how it will feel.  When I bought a 733C I knew what the 734 would feel like and then the 735 and so on. No surprises. The actions only vary by series because the materials are different but those differences are minimal. When I ordered my 805CB glass I was confident in how it would feel in power and action because I have a 705CB Glass. I was spot on.

I like the OPTION to fish with a rod model that enhances the effectiveness and efficiency.  I'm lucky that I had the finances at the time to acquire rods I felt would do the best job. I could loosen and tighten numerous size nuts with a crescent wrench and it will work but having a set of box end wrenches is better. That's just me. When I back seat, I have to pick a limited selection of rods that allow me to fish several lures and techniques out of necessity.  If I'm in my boat or know the water to be fished, I will choose the optimum tool for the application.  One more lengthy tutorial from Dink Dawg. Sorry

1ReelFanatik

As a youngster I made do with one rod for many years.  I hope I never have to go back to that.  I admit to being one of those guys who like to try different brands.  When I got back into fishing and started buying more gear, I went for versatility.  Probably my first technique rod was a crankbait rod.  MY MFs pulled crankbait duty before that.

I have more combos than needed, but I like keeping rods set up with different lures so I can keep retying to a minimum.  I have come to the point where I use some of those versatile rods for specific lures.  Doesn't make them technique specific rods.

I will agree that having just a few rods makes things much less...what is a good word here....stressful, confusing, simpler, easier???

Heck.  I stress on which reel to put on a specific rod.  I'd have no such problem if there were only 5 of each in my arsenal.

Double heck.  I might even feel better if that were the case.  I'd be able to take every combo with me anytime I went fishing.

Deadeye

There was a time when I used a 6 ft 6 inch Zebco Lancer Spinning Rod with a Mitchell 308 Reel spooled with 8 lb test mono for everything I fished for.  Caught Freshwater Trout, LM Bass, SM Bass, and Panfish with it.

Times and Things have changed.

Now I have multiple Rod and Reel Outfits, well because I can.

Seems like every couple of weeks a Thread gets started about the theme of "why do you need more rods, I don't". A lot of it really really depends on HOW you Fish and WHERE you fish.

That old Spinning outfit, well I still have the Rod but the Reel finally gave out and I replaced it with an efficient but not expensive Shimano and still use it. Actually did a week ago today with a Shaky Head when it was Cold and the Bite was tough. But this week I replaced that 8 lb with some Big Game 12 lb so I could do more with it.

But it isn't the first rod I grab anymore.

I have outfits set up to fish the way I like to fish and can do so without having to stop, cut off a bait and retie with something different. I can go from Punching Heavy Cover to Cranking to Swimming a Worm in a matter of setting one down and picking up another. I like that because I don't get the time to fish lately like I'd like to, so I make the MOST of the TIME I get.

I remember the Days of picking which 5 to take with me on my small boat that had no rod storage. But with my 185VS Ranger I can store 10-15 Rods in my Port Side Locker and have 5-8 more in my Starboard Side Locker, so I can literally choose "on the fly" what I want for that Day and Moment.

I bought some so called Technique Specific Rods, but rarely use them for what they were "designed for". An example is a "Worm and Spinnerbait" rod that I find works excellent as a Crankbait Rod, but lacks the Backbone for a good hookset with a Spinnerbait- yet has the Perfect "give and bend" to keep a Crankbait's hooks buried without pulling them out. Another is a labeled "Medium Light" that is another excellent Crankbait rod and yet also works perfect with Topwater.

Even "Heavy Action Flipping" Rods are not always that. I have one made by Falcon that just has to much "give" in it and it has cost me way to many fish due to the lack of a good hookset in cover. But it seems to do well as a Frog Rod. But I rarely miss a Fish with my Carbonlite 2.0 Flipping Rod.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Don't let what SOMEONE ELSE thinks you should do keep you from doing what is Best For YOU.

Find Your Style and Mix of Outfits be that 1- 3- 5 or 25, and figure out How to Use Them in a way that makes you a better Fisherman.

TNDiver

Deadeye, you raise a good point, we are all different in what we like and how we want the bait to present and what feel we are looking for and will choose a rod based on those characteristics.  I still consider myself a newbie, but I am getting to where I am realizing what I like in a rod for different applications and will keep buying different ones based on that.  I find it is the same for other sports.  Do you know there are different wrestling shoes based on style?  I preferred a spilt sole, others hated them.

And scuba diving??  Oh man, the different set ups are astronomical!  But the same thing, you have to find what fits your frame and style of diving.  Talk about another expensive hobby! :o
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus