Friday frog free-for-all and more trolling on 7-19-19

Started by Cuervo Jones, July 19, 2019, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuervo Jones

All week I was jealous of the all the fun that bassinlou, coldfront, and geneinnc were having with frogs and topwaters. So I set my head to catching some frog fish on my day off work since my local lake has some prime frog water.

Last night I showed my wife my amphibian apartment and told her to pick one out for me to use.

I was on the lake just at sunup and went on the prowl. The water surface temperature was already 90. A really good fish ate my wife's chosen frog and I set the hook too weakly since I was caught by surprise. After burying herself in the weeds, she was gone. Crud. A little later, another one threw the hook on a jump. But the third time's a charm and Scum Frog scored.

An almost 21" fish right around 5#.

Sadly, the were no more frog fish for me today. But three and one in the boat is enough to make me happy any day. Time to go find some shad eaters. They weren't where I left them last time so I had to do some hunting. Out on the main lake points they were waiting for passing schools of threadfin in 17-22'.
They were eating trolled crankbaits like they're going out of style.

Today I used 2 rods. One I held and one in the holder.

The bass preferred the one I held.

But some ate from the holder.

Even one of these guys joined in.

By now it was HOT and my brain was starting to liquify. Before it got so bad, I decide to run for public office, I made the call and headed in.

At the ramp, a couple of guys hauled out behind me and one asked about what I was trolling and how I did. It was their first time to this water and they didn't catch much, but they saw me pulling in a couple. I shared what knew and wished them well. I hope you get out and stuck some frog or crankbait of any other kind of fish this weekend! Over and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quit reading this and go fishing!

SteveTX

Good looking waters and nice report. That frog fish looked healthy!  ~c~ Glad to have you helping out with this Texas Reports board.

Capt. BassinLou

Great report, great looking fish!! Thank you for sharing your report with us.  ~beer~ ~beer~

Cuervo Jones

Quote from: SteveTX on July 19, 2019, 02:17:23 PM
Good looking waters and nice report. That frog fish looked healthy!  ~c~ Glad to have you helping out with this Texas Reports board.
Happy to provide some content after enjoying all the reports and information you and others have shared. Besides, I can't let you and your Stanley toad have all the fun!  There sure are a lot of these guys around lately.

Heard them all morning in the reeds.

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching there.  Tks for sharing the trip and photos with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Cuervo Jones

Yesterday I bought some 50# braid and despoiled my reel. I've been using 20# mono  for years, but after missing the first two frog fish on this trip because of a bad hookset, I figured I need to give myself every advantage I can. Ready to roll for my next frogging foray. Now I just need to brush up on THINKING like a frog by watching this Sam Elliott classic.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Cuervo Jones on July 22, 2019, 08:13:15 AM
Yesterday I bought some 50# braid and despoiled my reel. I've been using 20# mono  for years, but after missing the first two frog fish on this trip because of a bad hookset, I figured I need to give myself every advantage I can. Ready to roll for my next frogging foray. Now I just need to brush up on THINKING like a frog by watching this Sam Elliott classic.

Oh man... if I would have known that little detail earlier, I would have told you to take off that 20lb mono a long time ago. Watch how your hookup ratio improves with 50lb. Night and day. Thanks for sharing.

Cuervo Jones

I'm what you call a slow learner. I've always used mono and did ok with it. But this year, I decided to try something "new." Got inspired by reading the reports here on UB actually. Hopefully I'll whack a few more frog-choppers next weekend!

BarryFL

If you've never fished braid, the sensitivity will be eye opening. It will also let you know how sensitive your rods are. The only downside is you cant break it off easily if you get really hung up. I wrap it around a boat cleat and and use the trolling motor to either snap it off or, most times, straighten out the hook.

~Barry~
~Barry~

mygreenihc

Very nice write-up CJ.  You will be happy that you changed to braid for frogging.  You hookup ratio will improve dramatically.  If you don't watch yourself,  your frog to the forehead ratio will go up as well.  =)

Brad