Bow Trim Switch on Tracker Boats

Started by Kaptag, July 19, 2019, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaptag

New to this site, thought I would share some info and save someone else some time.  I currently own a 2017 ProTeam 195txw.  I previously owned a 2006 ProTeam 175txw.  I have now had this issue with both boats.  This morning I went outside to put my boat cover on as it was supposed to rain.  I discovered my Mercury 150 was buried in my asphalt driveway by at least an inch.  Because I didn't have the pin in the transom saver the motor jumped up, slamming the transom saver into my reflecors on the trailer and then buried the skeg in my driveway.  Found the engine battery was completely dead.  Charged it up while at work.
Came home, hooked the cables back up to the battery and I could hear the trim motor just a spinning.  d/c the battery.  Went to the front of the boat, removed the trim switch.  Shook it a little, hooked btry back up w/o the switch installed.  No whining on the trim motor.  Reinstalled the trim switch and now the trim is working again. 

Cause:  Moisture in the trim switch at the bow due to compartments being closed.  These Tracker Boats retain moisture in them if you leave the compartments shut.  I had the cover off for the past couple days and had all my compartments locked shut.   

If you discover your trim is acting funny or not working at all, try drying out this trim switch on the bow! Use a blow dryer or heat gun on low setting.  Hope this helps someone and saves them some money.  If someone has an idea on how I can lock up my compartments and not suffer this fate again, please let me know!  My rods, reels and lures are expensive but I can't lock up my boat just for this reason.  Oh and before you suggest it, my boat is too big for my garage.  Thanks,

Mike Cork

This is awesome intel, thank you for sharing ~c~ ~c~ Sorry you had to deal with it twice though, great troubleshooting.  ~bb

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Why are you getting moisture in the boat, a leak or getting caught in the rain? Can you open the compartments for a few hours or are you in a neighborhood where you need to be outside to be sure prying eyes stay away?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Oldfart9999

I forgot to mention being sure to raise the bow when you have it in storage, plug out of course.
Rodney

Kaptag

Just getting back to this.   My neighborhood is safe, and I keep the bow of the boat up with the plug out all the time    This is a common failing with the Tracker ProTeam boats, nothing I'm doing, other than leave the cover off with the lids locked for a couple days (builds up moisture).  I appreciate the advice on storage and you don't know me so your advice is "sound" for most newbies :)  So, some background on my boating history is appropriate.  Started fishing in 1983 with a 1950 14' Fiberglass Rowboat with a 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp bought from Dick's Sporting Goods Store #2 brand new by my grandfather (in-law).   Have since owned a myriad of vessels, too many to list here, and I'm not done yet LOL. . . Keep the advice coming, any and all ideas on how I can get some ventilation in the boat so I can lock my lids is appreciated.

Princeton_Man

When I owned my Tracker I kept the cover on and the lockers open. At times I'd use a piece of PVC under the cover on the stern to allow more air flow.

What I thought about and never got around to doing was install a hull ventilation blower under the console (blowing under the front deck) and a louvered vent in front of the passenger seat. If you wanted to get fancy you could install a humidistat switch inside the hull to switch the blower on when moisture was detected.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Kaptag

I do the same thing, covered all the time with the lids propped open, btw I had some 1" pvc laying around, cut 5" long sections for each of the lids and keep them all propped open.  I had 3 days, that I left the cover off with the lids locked and the switch shorted out as I was doing some reorganizing (perservernce is the secret). Will try to find a hull ventilation blower.  I like this PT195 on account of the size of the front deck and the big 150 four on the back pushes it plenty for me, and the pricetag of these compared to a Nitro can't be beat (the deck is as big as whats on a Z20).  Saw on here a guy doing a complete rebuild on a 2006 PT175 due to moisture (I owned the exact year and model previously).  That will not be me in 10 years, need a solution.  At least with my PT175 it was small enough for me to keep in my garage, I left it uncovered with the lids open after every trip and I could go out in the garage and work on my tackle anytime.  New idea, buy a bigger house with a bigger garage LOL PoPo   That PT175 could run all summer on a tank of gas and I could keep it in my garage.  Great little boat. This is a great boat also with the one exception -  both boats have moisture build up unless you keep lids unlocked and propped open.

Princeton_Man

We built a garage a little over 3 years ago. I have a 20 inch fan mounted above the window behind the Stratos that runs 24/7. It helps dry out any dampness from backwash or rain when I return from fishing.

With the Stratos, before the garage, I used full lengths of PVC pipe to make arch supports that lifted the cover to form sort of a tent above the decks. That helped prevent moisture buildup and helps keep snow from building up on it during Winter.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

A small fan on the deck during storage might work also, turn it on for a few hours then shut off. I use the pvc pipes also Jim, I use a tarp in the winter so I build a framework out of pvc pipe to keep everything in order and dry.
Rodney

Bud Kennedy

This post makes me think about the house we rented in Florida this spring.  The owner was a bass fisherman and had a Ranger that he kept in the garage.  The garage was nice and deep so the boat fit easily.  He had installed two ceiling fans over the area where the boat was parked.  I thought that was a great idea to assist in drying out the boat on those days where you get caught in a bit of rain that I am sure is fairly common in Florida.  He also had stops in the floor aligned with the trailer tires and that was a nice touch.  The garage also had two floor drains and a shop sink on one end to aid in the boat cleaning and maintenance.  Very well done.  I especially liked the two ceiling fans.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I return you now to your station.   ~b~

Kaptag

Seriously considering purchasing this and installing it underneath the starboard console: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WU4K4NW?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=AS93B26RGQRSBB9W5TKP

If I do this, I'm hoping I can plug it in when I get back from fishing, keep my compartments locked and get rid of the moisture.  This unit comes with a humidistat which would be a huge plus! 

Thoughts?

Kaptag

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on August 07, 2019, 12:02:15 PM
A small fan on the deck during storage might work also, turn it on for a few hours then shut off. I use the pvc pipes also Jim, I use a tarp in the winter so I build a framework out of pvc pipe to keep everything in order and dry.
Rodney

Oldfart, we need to hook up, I'm 2 hours east of you in Syracuse.  Then I'll be able to find out if you really are an oldfart or just a stinky one LOL.

Ron Fogelson

Need a battery kill switch or if you have one run the trim through it as well,,,, wont fix your moisture issue but it will prevent the motor from eating the driveway in the future. 

Also, Welcome to UB, glad to have you  ~c~

Kaptag

A kill switch is a good idea!  Also found this https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Ventilation-Temperature-Hydroponics/dp/B07JNNC3TZ/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BEXVF61GWC20PQQ2R211  For the money, I think I'm going to try it as the fan speed is controllable.  These fans look like the same thing as what's in a desktop computer.  Maybe put one in for the forward hatches and one in for the rear.  Plug them in when I'm not using the boat.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Kaptag on August 07, 2019, 07:16:34 PM
Oldfart, we need to hook up, I'm 2 hours east of you in Syracuse.  Then I'll be able to find out if you really are an oldfart or just a stinky one LOL.
Both. You have a boat?
Rodney

Kaptag

Spent the day in it today!  Boy I gotta tell ya, that PT195 is an awesome machine!  Lake was rough 3 foot waves, minimum.  Rockin and a rollin in the waves, not a single bite.  But I had fun.  Going out the waves weren't bad, hit 64mph heading out to my fishing spot.  I'm going to get this moisture issure resolved and this boat just may be my last boat.  BTW bought this boat at Bryce Marine in Rochester ~cf

Oldfart9999

I've bought a couple of motors from Bryce, no complaints. Were you on Oneida? Haven't been there for several years, always liked the lake. Takes me just a bit over an hour to reach Oneida Shores to launch.
Rodney

Kaptag

Steve3860

I used to have an oversized garage but like you my current home the garage is not deep enough...so I bought a portable garage so in the winter can keep in there with trickle charger on it...
Here is a thought tho to your problem....isn't there a spray to keep  moisture off electronics ?
I remember years ago they made the stuff to spray distributor caps on cars ....
Maybe pull the panel back enough be able to spray some of that in there ?
I may look into this since I store mine outdoors the rest of the seasons ....
Quality time is fishing time 😊