Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Email to Power Pro....  (Read 4996 times)

FiveAlive

• Ultimate Basser
  • Just flippin'.
Email to Power Pro....
« on: May 13, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »

Haven't been very happy with my Power Pro lately, thought I would inform them of this. Was nice as I could possibly be, what do you guys think?
Dear Power Pro,
My name is Taylor Willis. I'm a central Florida native and an avid bass angler and also an avid tournament angler. I am writing to you with a concern about your product.

Here in Florida we like to do what we like to call "Flippin'" which is a technique where we take a heavy weight and place a craw or creature type bait into heavy matted grass or in or around clumps of heavy reeds. I like to use Power Pro braid, 50 pound test, because the small diameter and strength allows me to place a bait into heavy matted grass with ease and horse out a lunker with no problems.

My main concern is lately I have been breaking off with Power Pro quite often. Within the last month I have broken off 3 times with 50 pound Power Pro, one of which was in a bass club tournament. Today, trying to learn a local area of the St. Johns river I was fishing isolated clumps of reeds, felt the fish, and went to set the hook, but came up with nothing but snapped Power Pro. I was very disappointed because I have lost a $2 tungsten weight. There was no fray in my line, just a clean snap.

This was one of two incidents I had today with my Power Pro. I also have a very good friend who fishes a local bass trail that is dissatisfied with his Power Pro. He has broken off while flippin' and while fishing Power Pro with a topwater frog.

I was just expressing my concern to your company in hopes of letting you know what is happening with your product. I would like to let you all know that I am seriously considering changing to another brand of braided line relatively soon if my Power Pro does not hold up to the standards. I have not had any problems with Power Pro in the past.

I hope that you will take these concerns into consideration. In the mean time, Tight Lines.
Sincerely,
Taylor Willis

Chasin' the dream.

Kal-Kevin

• Bass Fishing Junkie
  • Ultimate Basser
  • Member of Kal-Valley Bass Club
Re: Email to Power Pro....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:39:36 PM »

look good to me and you said it with out be rude which is real good.

topcat

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 04:55:14 PM »

~c~ Very well written concise and to the point...and as Kevin said
it does not depict any anger or rudeness....I think you will be heard

Topcat

Chemdawg

• Smallmouth
  • A blessed morning.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »

I have never used braided line...a mono man myself ;D  In your best guess how do you think it is flawed? My fishin' bud loves braid and everytime he gets his lure caught he pulls the boat right to the stuck lure and he uses 20lb I believe. I could not imagine 50lb ever snapping. Is it getting rubbed somewhere frayed or anything?
"We sleep safely in our beds because brave men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm." George Orwell

Blake R.

• Ultimate Basser
  • 2015 Bassmaster Classic Champ
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »

I have had 50 pound Power Pro snap on the cast several times... lost a few buzzbaits and retired it ^-^

My bait is bigger than your bass!

topcat

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:05:40 PM »

FishAlive.....I have been thinking about what you said about the Power pro breaking....

you said there was no fray in your line....could the lack of a insert and sharp edges on the inside of the weight be cutting into your line........

Topcat

spetro

• LM Community Diplomat
  • U.S. COAST GUARD, Safety Instructor,Inspector, AUX
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »

you go boy  ~shade

FiveAlive

• Ultimate Basser
  • Just flippin'.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 08:24:53 PM »

Thanks Steve...

Topcat, the tungsten weights that I am using HAVE the inserts. I'm using BPS brand tungsten and pegging them with bobber stops, so that couldn't be the problem.
Chasin' the dream.

Eric B.

• Lunker
  • JU!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »

Actually that bobber stop could be your problem. Because when u peg the weight ur putting pressure on that point in the line and there for weakning that point in the line because when u put pressure on  a piece or rope/braid u flatten the strand out therefor un raveling that point in the line causing it to lose its power thats IMO. I may be wrong tho

Official Member of the MLSC

A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live

topcat

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 12:21:39 AM »

Eric... I think you are right those bobber stops must be causing the problem...or he has got a bad spool of  line ...which he should get replaced at no cost.........

Topcat

Fishaholic

• Fisher Person
  • Fishin' is my Mission!
    • FishingLURA
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 01:14:23 AM »

Actually that bobber stop could be your problem. Because when u peg the weight ur putting pressure on that point in the line and there for weakning that point in the line because when u put pressure on  a piece or rope/braid u flatten the strand out therefor un raveling that point in the line causing it to lose its power thats IMO. I may be wrong tho

I myself had problems with the Power Pro and went to the Stealth braid...I've pegged it with no ill effects, even if it frays a little it doesn't break.

When I complained about the Pro junk they didn't do anything about it other than tell me it was probably a bad batch and to buy some more  lo who are they kiddin' here...why would I buy more if I had so many problems with it? I simply switched to a brand that's been working just fine and is able to pull pigs out of the thickest slop without breaking...I'm more worried about possibly breaking a rod on the hookset than I am the line breaking.  ;)

silversalmon

• Ultimate Basser
  • Slaying the Salmon.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 01:44:21 AM »

Nailed it Fish, switch lines man. If this is happening more often than not. You will be glad you did in the long run ~c~

United States Air Force 1994-present

Blake R.

• Ultimate Basser
  • 2015 Bassmaster Classic Champ
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 07:33:14 AM »

Well what do yall think is a better braid than Power Pro? I have heard good things about Stren Super Braid and also Sufix Braid.

My bait is bigger than your bass!

Kal-Kevin

• Bass Fishing Junkie
  • Ultimate Basser
  • Member of Kal-Valley Bass Club
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 07:49:28 AM »

I made the switch to stren last year and never had one problem with it. The one thing I noticed was it did not discolor as much as the power pro did. It seamed to hold up as good if not better then the power pro did.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 07:57:15 AM »

Five Alive, I like your email but I would ask then what there thoughts are about why I am having a problem. Instead of just telling them your problems and threatning to switch brands, give them and opening to address a problem they have seen in your region (maybe several others from your area are having the same problem, the bad batch thoery). Other than that excellent writing.

Also, are you leaving a tag end on your line. Any braid will slip. What kind of knot are you using and do you at a drop of glue to it? If you are using any braid, no matter what knot, if tournament fishing glue on the knot is a must.

I have lost two fish recently with Power Pro and it was because my knot slipped. Just something to watch for.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

T1A

• Ultimate Basser
  • President of the Palmetto Posse
    • Cooper River Bassmasters
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »

Well what do yall think is a better braid than Power Pro? I have heard good things about Stren Super Braid and also Sufix Braid.

McCoy's super braid

FiveAlive

• Ultimate Basser
  • Just flippin'.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »

I've never had any problems with the bobber stops before? :-\
Chasin' the dream.

Chris

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 10:19:42 AM »

I am not by any means a big braid aficionado but I use Stealth and have never had a break on it . I use 50 pound for my Texas rigged soft plastics and 65 pound for my frog rod. I have broken off on the hookset with Power Pro in the past so I switched.

silversalmon

• Ultimate Basser
  • Slaying the Salmon.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »

Glue on the knot for sure, good call Mike. Forgot I do that too, keeps the knot protected, especially in 40 degree water temps  :shocking:

United States Air Force 1994-present

fishforfree

• Ultimate Basser
    • How To Get Sponsored ForTournaments
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with what Cork wrote.  ~c~

I've always flipped with 20 or 25 pound Big Game and never had a break off.  My two cents as far as the line is concerned.

FiveAlive

• Ultimate Basser
  • Just flippin'.
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 08:47:38 PM »

I love the braid for the sensitivity, strength, and allowing me to flip the thick stuff, but not if it's gonna break off on me.  ~sweat
Chasin' the dream.

topcat

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 08:55:32 PM »

FiveAlive I was just at Bass Pro ordering a reel and some weights and saw this review...I thought it might help you with your dilemma...I will paste it
Overall Rating:  
 1 out of 5 

Tungsten XPS, April 5, 2006
By Z from Natchitoches, La.

"I like the fact that the weights are smaller, however I have been breaking 80lb braided line with the XPS. I believe the lack of a insert and sharp edges on the inside of the weights is cutting into my line."

What is your favorite type of fishing?: Freshwater
How many times a month do you fish on average?: 5+
Do you own a boat?: Yes

Was this review helpful to you?  Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

apparently some of the weights were made without the inserts or the inserts was not all there...so the problem might have been in the weight..there may have not been a inset or a partial one in your weight......hope this helps

Topcat
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 07:17:04 AM by topcat »

FiveAlive

• Ultimate Basser
  • Just flippin'.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 05:32:47 AM »

Thanks Topcat. I'm waiting to see what Power Pro has to say. Hopefully will have an email waiting for me this afternoon.
Chasin' the dream.

BigCheese

• Ultimate Basser
  • Team Keelshield
    • Cooper River Bassmasters.Com
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 03:49:52 PM »

I'm interested to hear what they say...Reason being this is one of the very few complains I have heard about this product.  I have used Power-Pro for the last three years for flipping and frog applications and have never had a problem.  Actually I had one 1oz. Penetrator weight that I used for about 6 months.  I would be willing bet I caught well over 100 fish and never changed the line once, but did re-tie often.  The reason I did re-tie is because I set the hook pretty hard, I probally go through 15 Superline EWG hooks a month because I end up either bending hook points or straighten them out on hook sets.  No matter how peg your weight it is still going to rub on the inside edge and sooner or later weaken what ever brand braid you are using.  My advice would be to peg you weights with rubber stoppers and re-tie before you go out and at least once during the day.  I have used other braids before and was not impressed.  Please keep us informed on what happens.

Basser56

• Largemouth
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 04:58:29 PM »

McCoy lines has a better way to peg your sinkers. Instead of using it as shown in the paragraph below for Carolina rigs, you can put it above your sinker to act like a peg. But you should still try the McCoy  braid. It's better than Power Pro.

The “McStopper” is an adjustable weight stop with just one step. It eliminates swivels and two knots, the weakest point in Carolina rigging. Fast, strong, and easy to adjust leaders to any length without additional line or time to cut and tie knots. Simply squeeze the "McStopper" with needle nose pliers. When the slit in the center opens to an oval, thread the line through the opening and release the pliers.
Randy Lyman
2000 Champion 203/2012 Merc 250 Pro XS
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 23 queries.