Email to Power Pro....

Started by FiveAlive, May 13, 2006, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigCheese

Quote from: Basser56 on May 15, 2006, 04:58:29 PM
  But you should still try the McCoy  braid. It's better than Power Pro.

Sir I would be interested to hear you opinion on why you thing McCoy's Braid is better than Power-Pro.  I know McCoys makes a good line and I do use it myself for some applications but is there something we are missing when it comes to braid?  The reason I'm asking is because I noticed that you are associated with the company in some way and I would like to hear why it's a better line. 

FiveAlive

I agree BigCheese, I too would like to hear what he has to say about McCoy.

I am waiting to hear what is said from Power Pro. I may have to switch to the rubber stoppers. My question is, once you insert them, do you trim them? I know they are pretty long. I may move up to 65lb and go to a palomar knot. I'm using a uni-knot now and I'm going to start adding super glue to my knots also. We'll see what Power Pro has to say, I'm hoping for an email sometime this week.
Chasin' the dream.

BigCheese

Yessir trim the ends of the rubber stop.  I buy the ones from BPS that cost something like $6 for 100 of them. The reason I like them better than a tooth pick is they will slide up the line when I hook a fish witch I think helps with hook penetration.  You will need to make a little tool to get them out of the weight if you plan on changing sizes, but to re-tie just slide it up cut about a foot or so off, re-tie and slid it back down.  I just cut the wire on an old spinner bait took the pliers and made a little circle end and jam the other end in the weight to get the stopper out. I glue my knots sometimes but the hooks I use the line tie is crimped down with no gap or very little.  If I notice a little gap I'll use pliers and crimp it down so it touches.  Check your hooks because I have had them slip through the line tie and came back with a my knot and no hook or bait.  I tie a palomar knot on 95% of my baits IMO it's the best knot out there for strength and it's easy to tie but with braid use a longer tag end(Braid tends to slip against itself).  I probally leave 1/2 tag with doesn't matter because it going to be between the bait and an ounce of tungsten anyway.

JayPea2006

It was a very good letter. I had similar problems with another brands product and was contacted almost immediately requesting the lot numbers and production run numbers on the line I had in my stock. It was promptly replaced with new product as well.

My point is when you inform a manufacturer of a potential problem in a productive manner, they are more apt to help you in any way. You did that, and professionaly to add. Now let's see if they come through for you!

~c~

FiveAlive

BigCheese, I use BPS tungsten weights and they have an insert in them. Is that going to make it more difficult to use the rubber stopper?

Jay, I hope they respond soon.  ;D
Chasin' the dream.

BigCheese

I don't think so I have some weights from Bitter's Tackle shop with the plastic insert and the rubber stops work fine in them.

LoonyToon

;) If I might be able to add my $.02 worth into this discussion I would just say.....................

Power Pro
Spiderline Stealth
Stren
Fireline
and all the others are good in their place........99.9% are made from spectra fibers, but it is in the weaving and coating that makes the difference............

PowerPro has been using five (5) seperate fibers and interweaving them to a  cylindrigal shape and then using a wax composition to hold them together.........After alot of usage you get the nylon effect---a runner/snag with pulling................

Spiderwire Stealth: uses 6 individual spectra fibers and rolls each fiber cylidrical and coats each strand with teflon before interweaving, then adds another coat of teflon to the finished rounded product................

Spiderwire Original Braid: used 5 indiviual strads and it was not totally circular which caused problems with the older type guides, and cutting

Stren is starting to use 6 strands now as they have been aquired by Pure Fishing, but had used 5 strands and the wax type process as all the others.........

The problem may lay not in the line/nor the peg  if this line is used in other applications to no consequence.............It may lie in your guides.........You might want to really check the upper 1/3 of your guides and see if there is a minute nick/scratch/indent.....even stainless guides will aquire these from Hooks, other rods, etc.....not necessarily from the line cutting them.......Just look is all I ask??

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

GotstaFish

I have been using Power Pro for 3 years and only recently noticed the quality has changed. I am curious to see what they say. It seems like the color fades faster and it frays sooner. I too have had more break-offs this year than in the past. I usually use 20# on most of my rods and 30# on my flipp'in and frog rod.
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

FiveAlive

I have looked at my guides and there are no cracks or anything of the sort that I can see.
Chasin' the dream.

OutdoorFrontiers

FiveAlive,

You won't be able to see many of the minute cracks that can occur in a guide.  The best way to check is to rub a Q-Tip around the inside of each guide, then carefully check for pulled strands of cotton swab.  If you see ANY cotton strands at all, the guide insert has a crack and that will wear on the line.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

FiveAlive

Will have to do that tomorrow then
Chasin' the dream.

topcat

OutdoorFrontiers....the Q-tip is the way I check all of my guides....... ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ .......

Topcat

Blake R.

Taylor, you cant use a rubber peg with the XPS Tungstens. I tried that, and it pushes the plsatic insert out because the diameter of the peg is bigger than the insert. The inside of teh XPS Tungsten weights are very sharp too... if your insert slides up it WILL fray and cut the line. I really want to try some of the Tru-Tungsten or Penetrator weights... I like tungsten alot, and the idea of no insert really appeals to me.

My bait is bigger than your bass!

JayPea2006

I have been using the 30# power pro on my flipping/pitching stick for the past 2 months without a problem.

One thing I have noticed though, and may be what is causing your problem, there have been times when I notice that the knot gets twisted through the eyelet on the hook and gets knicked from where it is crimped in manufacturing. In my last tournament a couple weeks ago I noticed this when I removed the hook from the fish's mouth. I cut it and retied. The line diameter was thin enough to get wedged between the hook eyelet crimp, so check it often for fray or damage.

Creel Limit Zero

Never heard the Q-tip trick to check your guides before.   :-*  ~c~  Great tip, going to do that when I go home tonight.   ;D 

By the way, nicely constructed email Five.  I think that should get their attention.  Might not get them up to sending you another spool of braid, saying you may have a bad batch, but they should have a nice response to you at the minimum.  Thanks for sharing, let us know the results...

Basser56

Okay, the reason McCoy Mean Green Braid is better than Power Pro.

Power Pro has a waxy coating on it. As you use the line, the waxy coating wears off, letting the line soak up water. As the water soaks in, the line gets weaker and frays easily at the knot and causes it to become less abrasion resistant.

McCoy Braid has reinforced each spectra fiber with the same polymer process, Reinforced Polymer Saturation, used in their nylon co-polymer lines.This reinforced polymer saturation process protects the line from water absorption, UV exposure and resistance to breakdown or deterioration.

And yes, I  am sponsored by McCoy. But I have been using the line for over 5 years, and have only been sponsored for a few months. I have tried other lines, but haven't been able to find any others that I am satisfied with. I only use the products I like, and won't back any I don't. I have to look at myself in the mirror each morning, and won't sell my integrity for product. Maybe for a bunch of money. ;)
Randy Lyman
2000 Champion 203/2012 Merc 250 Pro XS

BigCheese

Thanks for clarifying the difference for us.

bulldog

A thought here...

tie on your weight and setup...set the hook in a place on dry land to see where the break occurs.   you may have to wet the line pretty good to get the same effects as you do when you are on your boat.  also try different rigging techniques.  this experiment will tell you exactly what is happening when you set the hook and break the line.
Bulldog                                          Member
                                                    B.A.S.S.

OHbassaholic

Quote from: Basser56 on May 16, 2006, 08:56:07 PM
McCoy Mean Green Braid.

What retailers carry this product Basser56?

BigCheese

Quote from: OHbassaholic on May 18, 2006, 10:06:54 AM
What retailers carry this product Basser56?

Go to the web site and click on retailers.

T1A

ahem...cough...cough..... ~shade  I might be able to help :-*

BigCheese

My bad brother.....I have a hard enough time getting you to bring down a bait or two from time to time so I figured you would not wanna ship to OH  ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

scwildbill

:shocking: OUCH!!! :shocking:

Triton1a I just want you to know that I Appreciate when you bring me orders...

Yes!!!... I am sucking up!!! :roll2: :roll2: :roll2: ~beer~
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

bass1cpr

Blake let me spare you some grief. A peg it and a TruTungsten = line fray. No way around it without an insert, Tungsten is just too hard.
   Here's my secret. I use an improved clinch knot or Trilene knot if you will. I put an extra wrap in it to make it longer. Here's the neat part you don't need a peg just slide the weight down to the wraps and turn it like your screwing it on the wraps. Pegged.
   This works great for line up to about 14# test. For heavier line I use my Mojo pegging tool and a couple of strands of living rubber.
   The pegging tool slides thru the insert with ease and usually three strands of rubber pulled thru doubled is sufficent to keep the weight in place and still be able to slide up the line when the fish shakes his head. You want the weight to seperate from the hook so it makes it harder for the fish to throw the hook.
   Give it a try and I think you'll be happy with the results. Good Luck.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

topcat

Great Informations Bass1cpr.....that should stop the fraying of the line by the weight.........

Topcat