The Vexus Chapter begins!!

Started by Capt. BassinLou, August 08, 2019, 08:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman7925

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 01, 2019, 07:37:09 AM
Nice to hear you took the boat out, sorry to hear about the bugs you are having to deal with. Is your dealer far? I saw what you have had to deal with so far. Those RPM's seem pretty low to me. Although mine is a 115, I'm maxing out 6000 give or take.

Yeah their 3 hours away. I think I fixed the drain plug.
One of the latches broke in half. The one on my glove box. I could see where it was glued together from braking previously. Either from dealer or manufacturer. Temporarily just stole the latch off the ice chest (which by the way will not drain water) while I order a new one.
Measured prop to pad. Leveled everything out and I seem to be at 5 1/4" second hole from top. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman7925

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 01, 2019, 07:37:09 AM
Nice to hear you took the boat out, sorry to hear about the bugs you are having to deal with. Is your dealer far? I saw what you have had to deal with so far. Those RPM's seem pretty low to me. Although mine is a 115, I'm maxing out 6000 give or take.

One of the latches broke in half. The one on my glove box. I could see where it was glued together from braking previously. Either from dealer or manufacturer. Temporarily just stole the latch off the ice chest (which by the way will not drain water) while I order a new one.
Measured prop to pad. Leveled everything out and I seem to be at 5 1/4" second hole from top. 

Capt. BassinLou

Dang Sandman, sucks you have had several issues in such a short amount time.

My dealer is 3.5 hrs away also. But I'm waiting to go over my bug list with the dealer when I go up for my 20hr svc.

Capt. BassinLou

Update

Took the boat out on a big lake for the first time yesterday. Went out on Lake Okeechobee and gave the boat quite the workout. I quickly learned how shallow I need to be to go from a stationary position to get on plane. The boat handled chop well. Trimmed out correctly she ran smooth and we stayed dry during our runs. Riding through or over boat wakes were not bone jarring, and the boat didn't rattle all over the place like my previous boat did. The Power Pole is a handy tool, but I quickly learned why people prefer 2 poles on windy days. All in all, the boat did great and I'm very happy with my purchase. After yesterday I'm about 1 hour or so away from completing the break in.  ~c~

Bud Kennedy

Lou, once you get it broke in and the motor has been reset after breakin.  I am anxious to hear the performance numbers on the Vexus.  Things like  GPS speed, time to plane, handling, RPMs etc. 

It is no surprise about your power pole but I am sure it still helps.  Everyone I know who started with one quickly went to the second pole when they were able.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 08, 2019, 03:27:50 PM
Lou, once you get it broke in and the motor has been reset after breakin.  I am anxious to hear the performance numbers on the Vexus.  Things like  GPS speed, time to plane, handling, RPMs etc. 

It is no surprise about your power pole but I am sure it still helps.  Everyone I know who started with one quickly went to the second pole when they were able.

Will do Bud.

Wolf_man

Now that's one good looking boat!! Congrats on your purchase.

Deadeye

Quote from: Sandman7925 on September 01, 2019, 10:23:51 AM

My Motor (Ranger 185 VS) is set up on the sae hole and I got 4.75" Prop to Pad.

I called Ranger and asked the and he told me that the motors come in Bolted to the Top Hole in the Crate and it is standard for them to set them up on the 3rd hole down. With mine he figured the Original Dealer set it up with one of his motors and did the 2nd hole down.

My RPMs are low. My Optimax has a 5700 max rating and I get about 5250 at the best trim setting. My Prop is the suggested prop & pitch for my boat.

I do not have a Jack Plate, so my only option is to raised it 1 hole which will still be low or 2 which may be to high (be about 3.25 and from my research 3.5 seems to be the best average for my boat) and my WP may suffer, something I don't want.

Getting a Jack Plate is the best option and I might if  find the right one for the right price. The only reason I haven't yet is I plan to add a PP or Talon eventually and will need to pull the motor then to add the plates (or Jack) so figure to do it Just Once.

If your Boat has a PAD Bottom you can figure about 3.5 as a great starting point. If it does not then it will be more, just the nature of the beast.

In any case I'd be contacting your Dealer about the broken parts and get them replaced at their cost not mine.

Sandman7925

Quote from: Deadeye on September 11, 2019, 06:10:49 AM
My Motor (Ranger 185 VS) is set up on the sae hole and I got 4.75" Prop to Pad.

I called Ranger and asked the and he told me that the motors come in Bolted to the Top Hole in the Crate and it is standard for them to set them up on the 3rd hole down. With mine he figured the Original Dealer set it up with one of his motors and did the 2nd hole down.

My RPMs are low. My Optimax has a 5700 max rating and I get about 5250 at the best trim setting. My Prop is the suggested prop & pitch for my boat.

I do not have a Jack Plate, so my only option is to raised it 1 hole which will still be low or 2 which may be to high (be about 3.25 and from my research 3.5 seems to be the best average for my boat) and my WP may suffer, something I don't want.

Getting a Jack Plate is the best option and I might if  find the right one for the right price. The only reason I haven't yet is I plan to add a PP or Talon eventually and will need to pull the motor then to add the plates (or Jack) so figure to do it Just Once.

If your Boat has a PAD Bottom you can figure about 3.5 as a great starting point. If it does not then it will be more, just the nature of the beast.

In any case I'd be contacting your Dealer about the broken parts and get them replaced at their cost not mine.

I raised it one hole and picked up 100rpms and 1.5mph. Which tells me I need to keep going. So Friday she's going to the shop to have some atlas jack plates installed. Just gonna get it over with.

Sandman7925

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 08, 2019, 03:27:50 PM

I have to ask what you mean by "reset after break in"? 
Is there something required? Will the motor perform different?

Bud Kennedy

I don't know mercury warranty requirements but if I recall after 20 hours they require some sort of service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 11, 2019, 06:11:39 PM
I don't know mercury warranty requirements but if I recall after 20 hours they require some sort of service
Yes, the outboard requires change of oil(s). Lower unit included. After that, service is required every 100 hrs.

WTodd

Every 100 hours or annually or whichever occurs first?

Sandman7925

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 11, 2019, 06:17:31 PM
Yes, the outboard requires change of oil(s). Lower unit included. After that, service is required every 100 hrs.

My manual and dealer says that is no longer required. Just the every 100 hours.
Maybe different for a pro XS vs four stroke though.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Sandman7925 on September 11, 2019, 07:25:44 PM
My manual and dealer says that is no longer required. Just the every 100 hours.
Maybe different for a pro XS vs four stroke though.

My Pro-Xs is a 4 Stroke CT, and my manual says 20hr svc then every 100hrs or every year which ever comes first

Capt. BassinLou

O.B is almost officially broken in.

Capt. BassinLou

As I mentioned little while ago, I'm just about complete with my 10 hour break in. Which basically means that I can run at WOT throttle if I chose to for long periods of time versus less than 5 minutes at a time. Truth be told, the boat runs great 3/4 WOT throttle, and if I had to really get somewhere a little bit faster, its good to know the option to faster is there if I needed it. Trimmed out just right the boat cruises great, and in the windy conditions I have encountered on Lake Okeechobee and Lox, the runs have been dry.

I'm still getting used to and learning new routines. For example, just yesterday, I know many of you will laugh at this, but I'm still adjusting to having a power pole. Note to everyone.... lo do not try to throttle up and move locations with out first raising the power pole.  lo lo I also need to remember to turn off the graphs when I trailer the boat.  ~b~ But like I said, just a new learning curve when you own a boat with more gadgets. But!! I'm enjoying these new gadgets, they have added a whole new dimension to my bass fishing experience. I'm LOVING this new boat!!  ~heart  :)

Lipripper

Lou glad your liking your new boat and with time you will get use to all the new stuff and get in a routine of dong things and then most of the time you will remember to pick up your PP before taking off and to turn off your electronics . You noticed I said most of the time cause no matter way we still forget sometimes.  ~roflmao ~roflmao 

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lipripper on September 22, 2019, 02:25:12 PM
Lou glad your liking your new boat and with time you will get use to all the new stuff and get in a routine of dong things and then most of the time you will remember to pick up your PP before taking off and to turn off your electronics . You noticed I said most of the time cause no matter way we still forget sometimes.  ~roflmao ~roflmao

Thanks Lip, there is 0 doubt in my mind anyway, that I will forget something. Hell, I forget to raise the TM every once in a while until the spray of water hits me from the bow of the boat. Doh!!  lo lo

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 22, 2019, 02:27:27 PM
Thanks Lip, there is 0 doubt in my mind anyway, that I will forget something. Hell, I forget to raise the TM every once in a while until the spray of water hits me from the bow of the boat. Doh!!  lo lo
~roflmao ~roflmao  When I'm on my spring Crappie fishing trip with John in his 2014 Bass Tracker I have to go behind him all the time and check everything cause he has been known to leave stuff switched on or forgets to put the plug in the boat.  lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Received an email today that the Power Pole cover that has been on backorder for quite sometime has been put back in stock, and on sale to boot at over 50% off. I went ahead and ordered myself one and now the boat, outboard, and PP are completely covered.  ~c~

zippyduck

Lou,

Growing pains are to be expected. I once graphed My entire route home from Erie to Pittsburgh.

The trolling motor thing happens to everybody.

It is great to hear how much you enjoy the mew boat and gadgets.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Capt. BassinLou

Power pole cover arrived!! Fits great!!

WTodd

Lou - I have the same ones and if you store your boat outside they WILL fade.  I just spray painted mine; you'll see them at the Classic.

Capt. BassinLou

Interesting weekend running the boat. 2 things happened. 1. My engine break in is complete. Just in time for our FLBR Classic on the Kissimmee Chain of Lakes next month.  ~c~ 2. I made my outboard cry.  :( The area I fished on Saturday was shallow and very grassy. In one instance while leaving an area and attempting to get on plane, grass must have obstructed the cooling port and the engine began to beep a couple of times and almost went into security mode. Yikes!! The good news is, I saw and heard what was happening and immediately throttled down and kept the OB in neutral and sat for while monitoring the situation. Fortunately the OB was peeing strong, and the beeping didn't continue. I proceeded to deeper water in low throttle and once I reached the deeper water opened her up and off she went. Checked my mobile smartcraft app and indeed a fault was registered. The computer picked up that the intake was obstructed causing the alarm to go off.

What did I learn? 1. These four strokes OB's have pretty good safety measures in place to prevent engine damage.  2. The mobile smartcraft module is excellent diagnostic tool to have on board. 3. I'm learning the limitations of my ob and I have learned a great deal about this motor in these first 10 hrs.