What brand braid are u using?

Started by nob, August 16, 2019, 07:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nob

I've been sticking with the regular popular ones.  Power pro,suffix, and Spiderwire.  I just watch guys using these Chinese brand on youtube.  Runcl,kastking, and so one.  Anyone use these.  I see they are alot cheaper.  I spool buddies rods up.  They dont know the difference. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

I have been getting Spectra straight from the source. 1000M for about $20
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Princeton_Man

I use Power Pro, I love the way it casts and performs. I used SpiderWire for years but it frays more easily and I got tired of the wind knots.

I base my line choices solely on performance not cost and once I'm completely happy with it's performance I don't usually shop others unless the performance changes. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

I use both Sufix 832 and Power Pro. Both perform great. I watch for sales and pick up either of the two when I can.

LMG should PM me that connection.  ;)

bigjim5589

I've tried different brands and settled on the Sufix 832. As has been said, performance is what counts, and I like this braid better than others. I also try to buy it when it's on sale.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Capt. BassinLou

I'm currently using 2 brands. My long and trusted brand of Power Pro Regular and MaxCuatro, the other brand that has been treating pretty well is Bull Buster braid (40lbs)

merc1997

i use spider wire stealth hi-vis yellow.  it is easy to see in the daytime, and at night it lights up in the black light.  it seems to be very fray resistant, is very quiet coming through the guides.  i use lb. tests from 10 up to 50.  the 10 or 15 works great for fishing the "ned".  i use 20 lb. for fishing spoons and for fishing swimmers on jig heads.  we catch a lot of bass in the winter 50 ft. deep or deeper.  with the 20 lb. braid, i can make a looooong cast, let it go straight to the bottom 50 ft. deep, pick that swimmer up and get bit first movement, and instantly stick that GrassJig through their head.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

cookieman

I have been using Bass Pro  yellow Hyper Braid 10lb on my spinning reel and love it. use it for wakey rig and yum dingers. Use Power Pro 30lb on my baitcaster . Like it also

chadyp

DonM

Quote from: merc1997 on August 16, 2019, 11:27:22 AM
i use spider wire stealth hi-vis yellow.  it is easy to see in the daytime, and at night it lights up in the black light.  it seems to be very fray resistant, is very quiet coming through the guides.  i use lb. tests from 10 up to 50.  the 10 or 15 works great for fishing the "ned".  i use 20 lb. for fishing spoons and for fishing swimmers on jig heads.  we catch a lot of bass in the winter 50 ft. deep or deeper.  with the 20 lb. braid, i can make a looooong cast, let it go straight to the bottom 50 ft. deep, pick that swimmer up and get bit first movement, and instantly stick that GrassJig through their head.

bo
Bo, I had bad experience with that line.  It broke very easily.  Maybe I just had a bad batch.   Will try it again, because I like the way you can see it.
DonM

ike8120

I started using Kast King Super Power Braid not bad for the price point.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

FlatsNBay

Quote from: chadyp on August 16, 2019, 12:21:12 PM
Long time user of Tuff Line XP
I've always loved Power Pro but that was before I won a spool of Tuf-Line. I've been using Tuf-Line ever since. I actually did a review on it for Ultimate Bass some time ago.

I like both Supercast and Domin8 for spinning applications. They are both an 8 strand braid with excellent handling.

I like XP and 4orce for flipping frogging and worming in the grass. They are both a 4 carrier braid.

Tif-Line is American made too.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

BarryFL

Quote from: SteveTX on August 16, 2019, 08:21:20 AM
I use both Sufix 832 and Power Pro. Both perform great. I watch for sales and pick up either of the two when I can.

LMG should PM me that connection.  ;)
These are the only two I will use. I bought 3000yds spool of Power Pro 40lb for $105 delivered off eBay last year. It will probably last me the rest of my life since I use it twice by spooling to another reel and using backing where I only put on about 80yds at time.

Kastking braid makes great backing. :)

~Barry~
~Barry~

Lipripper

I have only ever used Power Pro in the 30# size. Now that my eyes are getting worse I'm thinking about going to some Hi Viz yellow so I can see it better.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

1ReelFanatik

I don't use much braid.  I have used Sufix 832, Sufix Performance and PowerPro Original.  Right now I am trying some Fins braid in Wind Tamer, Original PRT and 40G in various colors.  Not had a chance to use them much.  So far they seem like good lines.

Pferox

Is "Whatever is on Sale" a brand?   ~roflmao

I have a few brands in use now, 832, Some Chinese stuff, and Bullbuster.net. All are in some kind of high vis color.

If you are looking around for an affordable braid, check out Bullbuster.net, it is pretty good stuff, and the bulk spools are a little more affordable than some others.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Lipripper

Quote from: Pferox on August 16, 2019, 11:44:52 PM
Is "Whatever is on Sale" a brand?   ~roflmao

I have a few brands in use now, 832, Some Chinese stuff, and Bullbuster.net. All are in some kind of high vis color.

If you are looking around for an affordable braid, check out Bullbuster.net, it is pretty good stuff, and the bulk spools are a little more affordable than some others.
Jim I might have to check out that Bullbuster stuff if it works good and isn't so expensive.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

merc1997

Quote from: DonM on August 16, 2019, 12:41:02 PM
Bo, I had bad experience with that line.  It broke very easily.  Maybe I just had a bad batch.   Will try it again, because I like the way you can see it.
it does not break easily, and in tests, it is more abrasion resistant than power pro.  your knot could be the problem.  i do not use the palomar.  most knots with twists require more twists than you would use with other lines.  and the thinner the line diameter, the more twists that are required to keep the knot from slipping.

on the NuTech Lures you tube channel, one of our videos, i demonstrate the knot that i tie.  can't recall which one it is though.  that knot will never slip or break.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

DonM

Quote from: merc1997 on August 17, 2019, 02:17:18 PM
it does not break easily, and in tests, it is more abrasion resistant than power pro.  your knot could be the problem.  i do not use the palomar.  most knots with twists require more twists than you would use with other lines.  and the thinner the line diameter, the more twists that are required to keep the knot from slipping.

on the NuTech Lures you tube channel, one of our videos, i demonstrate the knot that i tie.  can't recall which one it is though.  that knot will never slip or break.

bo
It wasn't breaking at the knot, just various places.  I'm sure I had some bad line.  Just bought another spool and will try it again.  It's about too hot to fish in the daytime, so going to do so night fishing.
I did try your knot some time ago, but I had forgotten about it.
Thanks Bo!
DonM

Pferox

Quote from: Lipripper on August 17, 2019, 12:50:00 PM
Jim I might have to check out that Bullbuster stuff if it works good and isn't so expensive.

The smallest spool size for yellow (hi viz) 20 Bullbuster braid is 1,5000 yds,  They used to not sell hi viz except in bulk spools for some reason.  Right now that is less than $85.00  OH yea and you can only get it on line, as far as I know.

Just as an example, Lip.   The only line I know that might be cheaper is the Chinese stuff, but I doubt that is much of a difference.

BTW, these guys don't sponsor me, I just think it is a good product.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Pferox on August 18, 2019, 02:23:12 PM
The smallest spool size for yellow (hi viz) 20 Bullbuster braid is 1,5000 yds,  They used to not sell hi viz except in bulk spools for some reason.  Right now that is less than $85.00  OH yea and you can only get it on line, as far as I know.

Just as an example, Lip.   The only line I know that might be cheaper is the Chinese stuff, but I doubt that is much of a difference.

BTW, these guys don't sponsor me, I just think it is a good product.

The bullbuster braid I had access to was gifted to me by a buddy of mine who is a Pro-Staffer for Bull braid and their products. I won't be needing 40lb yellow braid for a long while...  lo lo

loomisguy

Sunline, both Siglon 8 strand and SX1.

coldfront

have been using suffix performance for close to 10 years.  never had it fail me. as an old footballer, weight lifter, I have never 'lost a knot'

30lb test on the baitcasters (frog rods, punching, c-rigs)
12lb test on the spinning reels.

palomar on the direct ties.
uni-uni knots on the leaders.

I've used other brands when out with guides.  never saw where my suffix performance was a 'step back' performer.

WTodd

Me it's Power Pro only; wouldn't use Suffix if the company gave it to me for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryFL

Well, that's kind of harsh. There's a significant difference between Suffix 832 and Performance, IMO. 832 is right up there with Power Pro.

~Barry~
~Barry~