Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Researching my first baitcaster. Frustrated please help  (Read 2076 times)

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
Re: Researching my first baitcaster. Frustrated please help
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »

UncleJimmy if you haven't seen them yet Mike just posted several reels for sell at some good prices in the Bass Fishing Forum Classifieds I think they are all RH though.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 03:25:18 PM »

Solid choice. Enjoy the reel.  ~c~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

toddallen

• Smallmouth
  • "Hey, this fish looks like Moe."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:16:36 PM by toddallen »

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 04:25:25 PM »

Congrats!

I like my Fuego CT a lot for a reel in this price class.

All my bait casters are left-hand retrieve. Works out best for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Flat Rock

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »

I grew up using a spinning rod.  Oops.  You use a spincast reel.  Don't know its release point compared to a baitcast reel.

I feel like a dummy!  I've fixed my post.  I meant spinning reels (open faced).  I haven't used a spincast since I was a kid with a Zebco! lol.

Anyway I really appreciate everyone's input and advice.  I decided to go with the Daiwa Fuego CT because for the money I don't think I can find one better and it seems easy enough to use.  In the proper Left-handed reeling too so that's going to feel awkward for a bit as I'm one of those who switches hands after I cast usually. 

My best spinning reel is a Daiwa and it's a brand I've always known to be quality.  Although I'm sure I'll be trying many others over the years if this works out like I hope.

Can't wait to pull some big bass out of the muck with my new baitcaster!

Congrats on your choice, let us/me know how you fair with it... 

You might want to practice a bit in your yard before you go out there throwing your favorite rattle trap only to bird nest and losing the lure in rocks...   Been there done that a couple times...   :'(

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »

I doubt you will regret getting the Fuego CT.  I learned on an original Fuego.  Back spool tension off until there is a bit of side-to-side play.  Tighten just enough to remove the play.  You can dial it back out once you start becoming familiar with the reel.  Crank the brakes up all the way for the first few casts.  Shouldn't take long to start backing the brakes off.

Voice of experience here.  Don't over tighten spool tension.  None of the 'How to' videos were out back in 2009 when I started.  Or if there were some, I wasn't aware of them.  Sent a few reels to a guy for cleaning (and upgrading a couple) after my first season using baitcast reels.  He let me know he couldn't cast a 1/4 oz. lure with them because of how tight I had the spool tension on my reels.

Took his advice.  Spooled line to the bevel.  Backed spool tension way off.  It was almost as bad as learning to use a baitcast reel all over again.  But it was worth it.  Save yourself the trouble of learning twice.  Keep spool tension loose and use the brakes.  Be smooth with your casts.

EDIT:  If you are like me...and a lot of other guys...your spinning reels will see very little use once you get used to the baitcast reel.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:31:58 PM by 1ReelFanatik »

3crows

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »

I could be wrong but I set the spool tension knob for a slow fall with minimal overrun on a free fall drop with a lure of the weight to be used. Then further refine for lure type and weight and wind or casting presentation with the brakes. And adjust/re-adjust the spool tension whenever I switch lure type/weight. Works with my old ABUs, works with all of my Shimano reels including my new SLX DC. Cranking the spool tension high cripples your casting even though it could make up for a lazy thumb and poor brake settings. But that is not the intention and purpose of the spool tension adjustment. DC or fancy brakes or not, if it starts to overrun or I want to guide my lure's trajectory I use my thumb.

I have some old reels that the handles spin when cast, given me by my grandfather when I was a child. I guess they have fancy aero-brakes, the handles spinning in the breeze is a fine braking system but I still use my thumb with them. And I still use those old reels sometimes.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »

Everyone is different on how they are gonna set up their reels. Too much spool tension will only cause premature wear on the spacers and spool tips.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »

I could be wrong but I set the spool tension knob for a slow fall with minimal overrun on a free fall drop with a lure of the weight to be used. Then further refine for lure type and weight and wind or casting presentation with the brakes. And adjust/re-adjust the spool tension whenever I switch lure type/weight. Works with my old ABUs, works with all of my Shimano reels including my new SLX DC. Cranking the spool tension high cripples your casting even though it could make up for a lazy thumb and poor brake settings. But that is not the intention and purpose of the spool tension adjustment. DC or fancy brakes or not, if it starts to overrun or I want to guide my lure's trajectory I use my thumb.

I have some old reels that the handles spin when cast, given me by my grandfather when I was a child. I guess they have fancy aero-brakes, the handles spinning in the breeze is a fine braking system but I still use my thumb with them. And I still use those old reels sometimes.

This is a good way to set up any other reel.  But like Matt said,  not everyone sets their reels up the same way.  If you are happy with the results, then that is all that matters.  Do a search on setting up Magforce Z brakes.  You will find that a little side-to-side play is the preferred method.  Pretty sure even Daiwa says to set the spool that way, but would have to check one of my pamphlets.

If I hold the rod out and release the spool, I am going to have a huge bird's nest, yet none when casting.  The faster the spool spins, the greater the braking force.  There is no braking force when just letting the lure drop.  At least that is my understanding of how Magforce Z works.

I can guarantee with your experience that I will never be as good with a baitcast reel as you are.  I just got into them a bit over 10 years ago at age 61, so I will never be as good as someone that started using baitcast reels at a much younger age.  Any lure under 3/16 oz. becomes a possible nightmare for me.

3crows

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »

This is a good way to set up any other reel.  But like Matt said,  not everyone sets their reels up the same way.  If you are happy with the results, then that is all that matters.  Do a search on setting up Magforce Z brakes.  You will find that a little side-to-side play is the preferred method.  Pretty sure even Daiwa says to set the spool that way, but would have to check one of my pamphlets.

If I hold the rod out and release the spool, I am going to have a huge bird's nest, yet none when casting.  The faster the spool spins, the greater the braking force.  There is no braking force when just letting the lure drop.  At least that is my understanding of how Magforce Z works.

I can guarantee with your experience that I will never be as good with a baitcast reel as you are.  I just got into them a bit over 10 years ago at age 61, so I will never be as good as someone that started using baitcast reels at a much younger age.  Any lure under 3/16 oz. becomes a possible nightmare for me.

No expert here and not disagreeing at all with any of you, you are exactly right, more than one way top skin a cat. My instructions with my new SLX DC also says to set the spool with minimal side play but nonetheless I set the lure for a controlled fall with little or no overrun on the lure drop as a starting point. What I was saying though was responding to the post where the fella had his spool tension way up and could not cast 1/4 oz lures, his efforts were being crippled by to high spool tension. And it does cause unnecessary wear as was mentioned as well. All in fun, glad to see the OP made a good choice to get going with and enjoy and learn with.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:45:15 PM by 3crows »
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

UncleJimmy

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »

Congrats!

I like my Fuego CT a lot for a reel in this price class.

All my bait casters are left-hand retrieve. Works out best for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I switched my spinning reel to left-hand retrieve the other day and it was doable.  Although whenever I hooked a decent sized bass I felt like I had trouble reeling him in as quickly and strongly as I could with my right hand.   I guess it's just a practice thing but it felt quite awkward!

Casing with my right and switching the pole to my left just always felt natural to me.

I'm buying a baitcaster so I can overpower anything in the water so I hope I get better with the left! lol. 

3crows

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »

I switched my spinning reel to left-hand retrieve the other day and it was doable.  Although whenever I hooked a decent sized bass I felt like I had trouble reeling him in as quickly and strongly as I could with my right hand.   I guess it's just a practice thing but it felt quite awkward!

Casing with my right and switching the pole to my left just always felt natural to me.

I'm buying a baitcaster so I can overpower anything in the water so I hope I get better with the left! lol.

Why change what has worked well for you just to fit into the latest fads. I am fully ambidextrous and strongly prefer working my BC in my left hand and reel with my right hand and my spinning rig in my right hand and reel left handed. It works for me and I am not changing and yes, I have owned and own LH BC reels. And I do not like them especially. Good thing on spinning rigs, they are easy to switch to suit preference. I can cast with either hand equally well or so nearly so that it does not matter, maybe you are not as handed dominant as are some guys. Do what feels natural.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 25 queries.