Trailer bunks rotting

Started by Team KaRu, August 21, 2019, 11:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

Quote from: Team KaRu on September 05, 2019, 04:44:35 PM
I believe that I am going to go the Composite route as Rodney suggested...
And I will purchase their boards with the aluminum structural support bottoms to prevent any sagging as the boat will sit in the HOT sunlight all day in the boat ramp parking lot... And they are one hour from my home so I can save shipping costs of 4 boards . . .

[url]https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/#just-imagine/[url]
Ultimate Bunk Boards. Reach out to us and we'll respond as soon as we can.

Answers to many common questions about Ultimate Bunk Boards can be answered on our FAQ page and under Product Info.

Ultimate Bunk Boards5974 US Hwy 129 N.
Unit O
Pendergrass, GA. 30567

706-983-9487

Email:

that's exactly what I have on my trailer.
they are surprisingly 'sticky'.  but I never back down a ramp without the eye strap attached.

just good practice.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: coldfront on September 05, 2019, 08:32:22 PM
that's exactly what I have on my trailer.
they are surprisingly 'sticky'.  but I never back down a ramp without the eye strap attached.

just good practice.

no doubt.  Even though I know my boat is not gonna fall off the trailer, I still take the time to stop about halfway down the ramp when the boat is in the water to unhook from the eye.

It only takes once for a boat to slide off the trailer before everyone will do this.  Believe me, it happened to me.    It was my first boat, a triton 17 explorer.  Put some of that bunk slide stuff on the bunks.  the real issue was it had a crap crank on it that liked to disengage on its own.  Needless to say the boat slipped off the trailer.  You shoulda seen the look on my dads face as he was in the boat.   lo

i laugh now but man was i pissed off -- cranked the boat right back up on the trailer. 
BeerMe

Team KaRu

Installed the Ultimate Bunk Boards yesterday... Took only an hour!
I purchased the "Supreme Boards" They have the Aluminum Track mounted on the bottom for strength.  Put the boat on and off and it is as easy as pie now.  I JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER TO KEEP IT STRAPPED DOWN WHILE GOING DOWN THE RAMP ! ! !
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Team KaRu on September 23, 2019, 03:12:08 PM
I purchased the "Supreme Boards" They have the Aluminum Track mounted on the bottom for strength.  Put the boat on and off and it is as easy as pie now.  I JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER TO KEEP IT STRAPPED DOWN WHILE GOING DOWN THE RAMP ! ! !

Appreciate that update!! Any pics??  ;PHO)

Team KaRu

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 23, 2019, 03:21:24 PM
Appreciate that update!! Any pics??  ;PHO)
I can't figure out how to do that from my computer.... Doh!

I did post some pics on the Nitro owners facebook page.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Team KaRu on September 23, 2019, 04:00:25 PM
I can't figure out how to do that from my computer.... Doh!

I did post some pics on the Nitro owners facebook page.

If you know your way around a smart phone, the app called Tapatalk makes picture posting as easy as 1-2-3. Check it out on your app store. Good luck!!

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 23, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
If you know your way around a smart phone, the app called Tapatalk makes picture posting as easy as 1-2-3. Check it out on your app store. Good luck!!
Xs2
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Team KaRu

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 23, 2019, 04:05:11 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

~c~ ... I see you got the app Team Karu.  ~beer~

WTodd

Quote from: Team KaRu on September 23, 2019, 03:12:08 PM
2 questions: do they come with the holes pre-drilled and I hate asking this one but what was the total cost?

Team KaRu

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 24, 2019, 04:17:33 PM
~c~ ... I see you got the app Team Karu.  ~beer~
Yes sir

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burbarry

I replaced mine took about 2 hours to cut and carpet. Then about 15 mins to install once boat was off. Should have taken before and after pictures.

Team KaRu

Quote from: WTodd on September 24, 2019, 04:32:15 PM
2 questions: do they come with the holes pre-drilled and I hate asking this one but what was the total cost?

1st QUESTION:  I bought the Supreme bunks which have a reinforced aluminum tracking that is adhered (bolted & glued) along the bottom of each board. The 2018 Nitro Z18 trailer that I replaced the rotting bunks have only one hole in each attachment point that a wood screw was driven into the wood boards (10 holes). The Ultimate Bunk Boards I bought required that I drilled two holes at a 2" center. 20 total holes drilled. The tracking on the bottom of the Supreme Boards allowed me to slide the boards into place and tighten down.
There was one set of 5' boards (2 boards in a set) and one set of 8' boards (2 boards in a set) These boards were the exact same size 2"x 4" that I was replacing. The aluminum tracking on each board bottom was adding about 3/4" of height. I have taken the boat on and off the trailer 4x since installing and have not felt or heard any difference in loading and unloading other than it is an easier (less friction than carpeted bunks) on and off the trailer.  The recommendations of NOT TAKING THE STRAPS OFF until boat is down the ramp completely and on the waters edge and HOOKING UP THE STRAPS before exiting the water and going up the ramp should be seriously taken!  I believe that this was a good purchase to ELIMINATE the future unavoidable problems of wood/carpet going in and out of the water with extreme conditions in most cases (heat, humidity, and even freezing temps) while storing your boat.

COST: I had an out the door installed cost at $305.00

INSTALLATION TIME:
20 minutes to drop boat into water and the remove old bunks.
20 minutes to drill measure and drill holes
25 minutes to install new Supreme Boards

Team KaRu

Quote from: WTodd on September 24, 2019, 04:32:15 PM

Burbarry

One issue with aluminum is if carpet wears down then you will be scratching up bottom of your boat bad. No pre drilling is needed on any bunkers just use a little force and the right type of screws. If you want something that is softer but will last longer I used composite decking 2x4 on mine. They will last and are water proof. They are a little harder than wood but a lot softer than aluminum.

Team KaRu

Quote from: Burbarry on September 28, 2019, 07:39:23 AM
One issue with aluminum is if carpet wears down then you will be scratching up bottom of your boat bad. No pre drilling is needed on any bunkers just use a little force and the right type of screws. If you want something that is softer but will last longer I used composite decking 2x4 on mine. They will last and are water proof. They are a little harder than wood but a lot softer than aluminum.

The aluminum track is on the bottom side of the boards. It is what is used to connect to the trailer.