water surface temp gauge

Started by Ice Cold Peanuts, August 21, 2019, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice Cold Peanuts

I've got 7 and 8 series Humminbirds on my Ranger but I was shocked to find the transducer doesn't have a water temperature sensor. The graphs show "not connected." I want to install a digital gauge in the dash but I've only seen a couple options. Blue Sea systems has a gauge but the wire for the sensor is only 12 inches long. I suppose I could get an additional temp/speed transducer from hummingbird but I'd rather not install another transducer on the transom. A small sensor is more to my liking. Anyone ever go through this?
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

Mike Cork

Without a new ducer, I reckon you could put the short wire one on the front of the boat?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

allaboutfun

Have you gone into the settings and selected which items that you want to show? (on the panel on the left)  I've got two 7,s and the both will show the temperature.

coldfront

Quote from: Ice Cold Peanuts on August 21, 2019, 03:27:31 PM
I've got 7 and 8 series Humminbirds on my Ranger but I was shocked to find the transducer doesn't have a water temperature sensor. The graphs show "not connected." I want to install a digital gauge in the dash but I've only seen a couple options. Blue Sea systems has a gauge but the wire for the sensor is only 12 inches long. I suppose I could get an additional temp/speed transducer from hummingbird but I'd rather not install another transducer on the transom. A small sensor is more to my liking. Anyone ever go through this?

wouldn't it be cheaper, easier to just replace the 'ducer with one that includes temp? plus, you know, wouldn't have to drill a hole in the boat.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: coldfront on August 21, 2019, 04:59:35 PM
wouldn't it be cheaper, easier to just replace the 'ducer with one that includes temp? plus, you know, wouldn't have to drill a hole in the boat.

This would be my first option also.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Wayne P.

Someone would have to intentionally purchase a transducer without a temp sensor.
They would be a 2D used paired with another transducer for shoot-thru or transducer.
Typically a SI or DI transducer on the transom.

Check the transducer itself. The temp sensor is a chrome dot about 1/8" in diameter.
This is three Down Imaging transducer with them:

The only exception is a shoot-thru 2D transducer with a remote Temp sensor.

All models with a Temp sensor have T in their model names on a tag about 12" from the plug.

Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Bassinkorea

Great info Wayne P, I learned something new today   :-*

Often wondered what the silver 'dot' was there for.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Ice Cold Peanuts

I've been through that graph and the owners manual so many times. I'm sure I didn't miss anything.

I'll need to check for the chrome dot but I'm thinking it won't be there.

Getting a new transducer WITH temp WOULD be the easiest fix but this is the DI & SI transducer too. I was thinking it was going to be a fairly costly fix. Maybe not.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into each of them.
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?