First Baitcasting combo

Started by Chris244, August 23, 2019, 12:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris244

I'm looking to get my first Baitcasting setup. I've had my eye on the Lews tournament mb and the lads and also on the Daiwa Tatula ct. also the abu Garcia pro max and Revo x. Basically around that $100 price point. Next is a reel around the same price that is a good all around real for pretty much everything but mostly top water and crankbaits and spinners and some softbaits. Thank you.

zippyduck

Welcome to UB!!!!

The best two reels in that price range are ( no surprise but ) a Daiwa Fuego ct or Tatula ct , not much difference, and the Shimano SLX.

Both are built on good frames and quality components. what they lack in bearings is made up with quality builds.

Look for one in 7:1 speed to handle most techniques.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

apiazza

You can get the shimano citica on closeout right now for around that. Love mine. Not much experience in the others though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3crows

Again, I admit a Shimano bias as I sit here prepping my Shimano equipped bicycle for a gravel race tomorrow of 60K that I am fully a Shimano nerd. I like Diawa and older ABU stuff also. But, the best rig for the money right now is the Shimano SLX or SLX XT. Dude!!!!!!!!!! GO GET ONE NOW!
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

1ReelFanatik

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Personally I would opt for the Daiwa or Lew's of the reels you listed.  I admit to being more of a Daiwa fan, but also have an MB along with a couple other Lew's models.  I like Magforce Z braking, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the dual braking on the MB.

Princeton_Man

I'm a fan of both Daiwa and Lew's. I have a MB or two, very good reel for the money. I think as a first reel the Tatula would be my recommendation. It can be pretty forgiving if you're just starting to use a baitcaster.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

Get them in your hands, and on a rod. The choice will be easier. For the $100 pricepoint, it's a "you cant go wrong" area.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Chris244

Thanks guys. Definitely coming down to the Tatula and mb. Now help me pick a decent rod without spending more than I'm aloud lol.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Chris244 on August 26, 2019, 07:31:32 PM
Thanks guys. Definitely coming down to the Tatula and mb. Now help me pick a decent rod without spending more than I'm aloud lol.

For that $100 price point I'm gonna have to say a Dobyns Fury 734C. Great all around rod. If you can go a little higher money wise the same model in the Dobyns Sierra Series would be a great match.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

coldfront

Quote from: zippyduck on August 23, 2019, 12:33:02 AM
Welcome to UB!!!!

The best two reels in that price range are ( no surprise but ) a Daiwa Fuego ct or Tatula ct , not much difference, and the Shimano SLX.

Both are built on good frames and quality components. what they lack in bearings is made up with quality builds.

Look for one in 7:1 speed to handle most techniques.

I'd make one small change:  get as fast a reel as you can.  8:1 if they're available.

zippyduck

Quote from: coldfront on August 26, 2019, 08:07:59 PM
I'd make one small change:  get as fast a reel as you can.  8:1 if they're available.

I love 8:1 reels but most newbies will just fish too fast with them.  Once you learn to fish with the rod and not the reel then go as fast as you can get.

zippyduck

A rod is simple. Dobyns Fury line is so well balanced it fishes like a much more expensive rod. The 733 or 734 depending on the main uses.

733 is going to better at finesse and moving baits.
734 will be better for jigs and T-rigs.

Both will do all of these but that should make your choice a little easier.

apiazza

I'm with zippy. I use my 3 power Dobyns for just about everything and it honestly does pretty good at it all. Though I have the cheaper colt and not the fury. Hopefully the next one will be a fury or sierra if I buy a second Dobyns.

The one thing I found is that at my height (5'8") when bank fishing that anything over 7' long can get cumbersome to use depending on fishing style. Light frog walking usually has the rod tip almost in the water and hitting on occasions.

Chris244

Well that helps. Couple more questions..... is the Tatula worth the extra money over the Fuego and I also notice most people seem to use braid on baitcasters. What is a good line that is just good for every application. Looking to pretty much have one set up for all baits.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Chris244 on August 27, 2019, 06:46:35 AM
Well that helps. Couple more questions..... is the Tatula worth the extra money over the Fuego and I also notice most people seem to use braid on baitcasters. What is a good line that is just good for every application. Looking to pretty much have one set up for all baits.

The only difference is the T wing system. Everything else is identical.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 27, 2019, 07:04:41 AM
The only difference is the T wing system. Everything else is identical.
Which helps reduce backlash, correct?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

Quote from: Chris244 on August 27, 2019, 06:46:35 AM
What is a good line that is just good for every application. Looking to pretty much have one set up for all baits.
I would suggest a 40lb braid like Sufix 832 or PowerPro. They are tried and true caught more fish than probably all other brands combined. For all your baits that mono would be better just add a leader.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 27, 2019, 07:17:46 AM
Which helps reduce backlash, correct?

No, the brakes do that, as well as your thumb. The only advantage I would see to the TWS is if you are using very fat lines like 20-25lb mono/fluoro. Even then, it would be more limited to the gains. I have no issues with fat lines in a regular guide. I personally took the Fuego guide and put it in a Tatula Type R frame for punching with 65lb braid. No issues. Im not sold on the TWS personally.

Jacobguy

Just got my first baitcaster a few weeks back back it was a daiwa fuego ct I absolutely love the thing. My brother got the lews tournament mb and my dad went for the shimano slx of the three all of us have fished with all of them. We have agreed the fuego performs the nicest but the tournament mb is a breeze to spool up though, it's much easier and smoother to spool compared to spooling the fuego and slx that is the only complaint I have. We concurred the fuego cast the furthest, smoothest, and, easiest to use. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk