Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo  (Read 1973 times)

WyattEarp

• Charter Member
  • Loser of Lures
    • TCB Clan a Counterstrike 1.6 Community
Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« on: August 23, 2019, 11:52:15 AM »

So I just started fishing again after many years of not having much time or money to put into it.
One the first things i have noticed after my lay off, fishing ain't cheap. I consider myself to be a decent bass man, but never would compare myself to a pro.

My question is why spend so much money on a Rod and Reel combo ?
Is it going to catch more fish than the one I use ?
My old R&R was a Gracia ambassador 5000, then right before the layoff I think I had a 5500C.

So in my quest to get back into bass fishing, I went to academy and was amazed at what they were selling these rods and reels for, it outrageous.

I ended up with what was on sale and I figured a decent R&R Garcia Blackmax
I got the 7' medium heavy for jigs, worms, deep cranking
and the 6.5 medium for everything else.

Just curious why anyone would pay these prices for the upper end R&R ?

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »

Well Wyatt the true answer is "Because We Can"  If you look closely at your Man Card terms and conditions Part 2 you will see that it is the indemnification clause that requires all card holders to make decisions for fishing tackle on a want basis and not on a need basis.  Part 3 further suggests that budget constraints don't always apply to rods and reels.   ~c~ ~c~

WyattEarp

• Charter Member
  • Loser of Lures
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »

ok I will accept that, just remember the trophy is supposed to be the fish, not your collection of rods and reels

;D

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders zone
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 01:31:58 PM »

ok I will accept that, just remember the trophy is supposed to be the fish, not your collection of rods and reels

;D
:shocking:
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 01:52:21 PM »

Wyatt, the real story is that some us us enjoy the features of the newer and more expensive equipment.  We do it for the quality of the product and also the total performance package.  It is not saying the old stuff or less expensive stuff is bad it is just the continuation of wanting the best we can get.  Often you will find the older anglers here do just fine with the less elaborate products because their skills are exceptional or because that is what they have been using their entire lives. 

Personally I do not buy high end products as a self imposed budget restriction but I do buy mid range products that are more in line with my skill set and I find this improves my ability as an angler.  So, bottom line is that it is at the option of the angler what they want to use.  I just contend that the new stuff is really smooth and performs so well especially for those of us that have low or eroded skills.  An experienced angler may also buy high end and it serves to provide certain advantages to their ability to put fish in the boat.

Where you fish and how you fish make a big difference in your tackle selection.  If you are able to describe your normal conditions and tackle choices perhaps a more in depth discussion can take place.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 02:02:11 PM »

My question is why spend so much money on a Rod and Reel combo ?
Is it going to catch more fish than the one I use ?
My old R&R was a Gracia ambassador 5000, then right before the layoff I think I had a 5500C.

How much specifically do you consider is too much for a R&R?

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »

;D

The man with the most toys in the end wins!  ;D

I don't need the high end stuff, but it sure makes a day on the water so much more enjoyable. It does help in many ways though. Better reels help reduce backlashes and are lighter. Better rods are more sensitive, lighter, and built for particular techniques.
I work a second job to buy my equipment, that is how much I enjoy the good stuff.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

WyattEarp

• Charter Member
  • Loser of Lures
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »

I am really talking out of turn here I guess, I have never had opportunity to use the high end stuff and maybe its worth the price, just not within my grasp.
Before I stopped fishing for years, I fished out of a pirogue, paddling- So the bottom of my pirogue was my rod box, it held my lures, cooler and rods, leaving very little room for anything else. My rods and reels typically took a beating, but they seemed to be resilient enough that I rarely had to replace them.
The Garcia R&R combo I purchased was on sale at Academy- I think they were 69.00, or at least in that range. So far they seem to be fine, but I have not hooked anything over about 4 pounds since my return to the water.
I would consider $100.00 a lot to spend on a R&R combo. That may be the poor boy in me or maybe my understanding that it's not something that I will be using everyday.
I guess if you can afford to spend $300.00 on a combo without having to put your bank account in a strain, that would make a difference.
but, I will say, even if I had enough money to not be concerned about price, I dont think I could force myself to spend over $300.00

I fished tournaments with my Father-in-law back in the day, he was in two clubs here in Shreveport, one was the 40 and over club and the other I think was called H20. Using the rods that I had back then and paying a little more attention to technique and lure selection, I was able to place 7th for the year. Many times fishing out of my pirogue staying reasonably close to the launch.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »

No you are not speaking out of turn.

We all started where you are at. Now that I am free of kids and other bills I can now enjoy the finer things in life.

15 years ago I would have never bought half of what I have now.

As far as the quality expensive stuff it has helped me feel some bites I would have missed and most of them have been larger fish. They also act as another sonar, telling me what the bottom content is in way more detail.

Enjoy your new stuff and show us some pics of your catches.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:58:36 PM »

;D

Nonsense!
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Fun4me

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »

Fishing is like anything else, some people want to enjoy some pricier/better made stuff. I'm not sure anything is immune to that concept.

My combos are in the $200 to $400 range. They are better made and feel nicer than the $100 combos I started with.  I can catch fish with either price point combo, but fishing being a hobby, I really enjoy the feel of the pricier stuff. JMO

3crows

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »

Because I want to and I can is the simple answer.

In about 1973, as a poor college student, I paid $54.00 for this 5500C and an equal amount for a Lew's Speed Stick #4 Worm rod (which I still have also). So that is say $108.00 in 1973. That is $610 in 2019 dollars. So I am kind of confused as to what you are talking about. You could buy three Shimano SLX reels and three matching Shimano SLX rods for that amount of money today! I do not get what you are saying at all.

And here is my ABU 5500C from 1973 still in use today:

And some newer stuff I like a whole lot better:

I freely admit I am a Shimano fanboy and make no apology. And yes, they catch more fish.

Some people drink cheap box wine for a buzz, some prefer a finer fermentation for the pleasure. Whatever floats your boat is good.

J
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:00:38 PM by 3crows »
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
  • Working too much, more fishing time needed!!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »

To me its do what makes you happy.  Definitely more sensitive rods and reels that will still backlash but not as easily.    Ive actually been looking for an original 5500 for spoon applications just have not pulled the trigger yet. 

IMO, you only live once that we know of, and if it makes one happy then go for it.  If not, thats fine too. 
BeerMe

WyattEarp

• Charter Member
  • Loser of Lures
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 09:57:46 PM »

~c~

Thanks for all the feedback on this question.
I don't think I paid nearly that much for my 5500, but it was a long time ago and I am old, so could be.

Either way, I can see where the more expensive rods could lend to missing less fish and I have heard stories about being able to cast these new reels with the flick of a wrist much further than the older ones.

I will get the ways and means committee working on the budget  lo

3crows

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »

~c~

Thanks for all the feedback on this question.
I don't think I paid nearly that much for my 5500, but it was a long time ago and I am old, so could be.

Either way, I can see where the more expensive rods could lend to missing less fish and I have heard stories about being able to cast these new reels with the flick of a wrist much further than the older ones.

I will get the ways and means committee working on the budget  lo

I remember exactly how much they were, the 5000 bushing was $34, the 5000C was $44 and the 5500C was $54 and the regular old 5000 would often go on sale, I think as low as $24 which in 2019 dollars is $135.00.  I remember because I was a clerk in the sporting goods department of Howard Brothers in West Monroe La. saving dollars for school. People would buy the 5000 and then the Buzz gears which were $12.95 and then the bearings from the 5000C spare parts as a hotrod for their reels. I figured just get the 5500C and be done with it. Mine has been upgraded numerous times and sports ceramic bearings, carbon drag washers and a bunch of other stuff. I use it for larger cranks baits or whenever I might need to winch my Jeep out of the mud.

I just bought a Shimano SLX DC ($189) and a SLX XT ($129) and two matching SLX rods ($100 each), so that is right about $500 and money left over compared to the 5500C and the Speed Stick. I still do not understand how you can think that expensive. My grandfather swore by the Zebco 33. He caught a lot of fish on them. I have several, they are all USA made inherited from said person. They catch fish, twist line and aggravate me to no end but they are great for bobber fishing.  ~gf .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:14:58 PM by 3crows »
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »

not sure what brand you might be loyal to but there are some really good reels out for not a lot of money.  Im not a shimano expert, only really like a few of them myself and they are all older.  But, I am a huge Daiwa feind.  With that said, make sure you take a look an an SV series reel -- whether the original or the newer SV TW you really cant go wrong. 
BeerMe

WyattEarp

• Charter Member
  • Loser of Lures
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »

. I still do not understand how you can think that expensive.
Shall I show you my pocket book ?

3crows

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »

Shall I show you my pocket book ?

No, but not to be political, people have become spoiled with a China sourced consumer market. My wife and I saved for months when we were married in 1979 to buy a vacuum cleaner, I still have the reciept, found it going through old papers, $235.00 from Montgomery Wards. Today I can buy a truckload of crap vacuums from Walmart for that, it was made in the USA, not China.

I understand, I understand, it sounds like a lot of money to me too. I bought a Yamaha 175cc Enduro in 1970 for $575. WTH! I just paid that for a couple of rod and reels. But I used to make $2.30 an hour, so yeah, I vividly recall starving through grad school too. I paid for now, then. Well, I am still kinda skinny  :shocking:.

Unlike, it seems other getting older folks, I do remember the past, it was yesterday for me, but I am not stuck in a time warp.  I live now, not in the past.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

WyattEarp

• Charter Member
  • Loser of Lures
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »

Maybe this goes back to Buds original statement - Because we can

What may be expensive to me may not be to you,  because I can't.

You can't tell me you think we are all in the same financial situation.
When I started working minimum wage was 3.35, but the cost of insurance was a heck of a lot less than it is now also, so you can't just pick a couple of items out of the air that would be about the same cost now compared to then, there are many more factors that figure into a mans take home pay.

Truck note
Car note
Boat note
Credit Card bills
Medical Insurance
Utility Bills

It all figures into the amount I have left over for fishing and or tackle.
Which as it turns out ain't enough to afford a 300.00 combo.

If you can, good on you.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »

I just hook on the weekends for xtra money.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »

I just hook on the weekends for xtra money.

You oughta save that tight one for big G rally.  lo
BeerMe

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 01:58:05 PM »

You oughta save that tight one for big G rally.  lo
Nah man. It hurt too much when it was tight. Lol

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »

It comes down to what you can afford and what your priority is. I'm retired on a fixed income, when I was working I didn't have a lot of money. After using cheap combos and learning more about bass fishing I started upgrading my equipment, 1 or 2 outfits a year. I started buying BPS rods and reels when they were on sale and they took my old reels on trade. Now I have CARBONLITE rods and some PRO QUAILIFIER rods and slowly switching all my reels out to PRO QUALIFIER reels and if I want a rod/reel combo I buy it as a combo. BPS equipment doesn't get much play here but for the money it's good equipment, it's the best I can afford and I go with it.
As far as American made, nice idea but not much out there, many of the rods made here are made from Chinese, Korean and Japanese parts and I don't think it's arguable that the best reels are Japanese.
Wyatt, go with the best you can and be happy, this is bass fishing not survival, it's enjoyment, enjoy it.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

DonM

• Charter Member
    • DonMasonMusic
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »

It comes down to what you can afford and what your priority is. I'm retired on a fixed income, when I was working I didn't have a lot of money. After using cheap combos and learning more about bass fishing I started upgrading my equipment, 1 or 2 outfits a year. I started buying BPS rods and reels when they were on sale and they took my old reels on trade. Now I have CARBONLITE rods and some PRO QUAILIFIER rods and slowly switching all my reels out to PRO QUALIFIER reels and if I want a rod/reel combo I buy it as a combo. BPS equipment doesn't get much play here but for the money it's good equipment, it's the best I can afford and I go with it.
As far as American made, nice idea but not much out there, many of the rods made here are made from Chinese, Korean and Japanese parts and I don't think it's arguable that the best reels are Japanese.
Wyatt, go with the best you can and be happy, this is bass fishing not survival, it's enjoyment, enjoy it.
Rodney
I have several BPS rigs, a couple of Pro Qualifiers, Carbonlites, and my favorite the Johnny Morris Platinum r & r.  It's the most expensive combo I have, but I caught the rod and the reel on sale, so only have about $200 invested there.  I also have a Lew's, a Shimano, and some others, but the JM is way better and super light.  I have a couple of Dobyns rods I bought second hand and if I live long enough will have a custom-made one from Lee.   
I think when you catch the BPS gear on sale it is a lot of value for the dollar.  But if I were a young guy again and fishing tournaments I might well have some really high-priced stuff, or at least experiment with it.  But when I was a young guy I couldn't afford much.
My first bait caster was a 5001 (LH), and it cost a LOT back then.  I still have it but haven't used it in years.
DonM

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 01:08:30 PM »

BPS PQ is a good reel.  No doubt i had one for several years.  Caught some nice fish on it. 
BeerMe
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.