Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass



Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo  (Read 1974 times)

Dink Dawg

  • Smallmouth
  • **
  • Location: Western Washington
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 257
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 04:23:13 PM »

Put it into context.  A 1979 LEWS BB1N sold for around a hundred bucks. An Ambassadeur 5000 for around forty five bucks.  A fenwick HMG 555 Lunker Stick was seventy seven bucks.  The selection of rods and reels, let alone tackle was very limited.  A bass Pro Shops Catalog was what is now a mere flyer.   The selection, options, technology, materials, design and development have opened doors for anglers to obtain incredible products at very competitive pricing. If they had a Diawa Tatula CT and Dobyns Fury in 1979 at today's pricing.....I would have thought I had found the golden city. When is the last time anyone bought a hook file?  This is a momentous time for bassers.  If you are willing to shop and buy pre-owned YOU can have pro gear at poor man's prices.
Logged

WyattEarp

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: NW Louisiana
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Loser of Lures
    • TCB Clan a Counterstrike 1.6 Community
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 09:02:02 PM »

I have a buddy that uses their stuff, he picked up on sale.
I will be keeping my eye open for the next sale
Logged

DonM

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: Benton, LA
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1,524
    • DonMasonMusic
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 09:37:57 PM »

Wyatt, I have a Pro Qualifier new in the box,  $50. if you want it.  I use only LH stuff and this one is RH.  It was a gift from an old friend.   
Logged
DonM

WyattEarp

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: NW Louisiana
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Loser of Lures
    • TCB Clan a Counterstrike 1.6 Community
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »

Heck yeah, thanks
Just let me know how you want to handle the payment.
Logged

coldfront

  • Life Member
  • *****
  • Location: Chattanooga, TN
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10,978
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 10:46:27 PM »

No you are not speaking out of turn.

We all started where you are at. Now that I am free of kids and other bills I can now enjoy the finer things in life.



gave up drinking. paid off the house.  between the booze bill and mortgage, I have a LOT more discretional income.

I just need to be a lot more discretional!     ~roflmao
Logged

DonM

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: Benton, LA
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1,524
    • DonMasonMusic
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »

Heck yeah, thanks
Just let me know how you want to handle the payment.
I'll send you a Private Message with my phone number.  We can meet somewhere. 
Logged
DonM

WyattEarp

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: NW Louisiana
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Loser of Lures
    • TCB Clan a Counterstrike 1.6 Community
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »

Sounds good Don and greatly appreciated
Logged

Oldfart9999

  • Ultimate Basser
  • *****
  • Location: Rochester NY
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11,866
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »

Wyatt, for a little bit of money Mike or LMG can super tune that reel for you and make it sing. It's a good reel for the money, especially what Don is letting you have it for.
Rodney
Logged
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

DonM

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: Benton, LA
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1,524
    • DonMasonMusic
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »

Well, I opened the box this morning and it is a Left Hand reel.  Offer still stands if you want it.  I was sure I had a RH somewhere.  Will look later today.
Logged
DonM

1ReelFanatik

  • Smallmouth
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 145
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »

Don, my first baitcast reel was a 5001C.  Has a little boat rash from sitting unused on the bottom of an aluminum boat.  Didn't know anyone that used a baitcast reel.  Don't think the Internet had been invented yet.  Wouldn't have mattered because I didn't have a computer.  Had no idea how to set up the reel.  Got it out a couple years ago, put the plastic arbor on it so I wouldn't use 463.19 yards of the 17# mono I spooled on it, and mounted it on a 6'6" MHF rated 3/8-2 oz.  Amazingly it casts fine now.   lo  Don't like the tiny handle, so it has sat in the basement since then.

OP.  I would have fished with an Ugly Stick back in my youth....if I could have afforded one.  Very few frequenting fishing forums will use one today.  I don't catch more fish with my $100 or $150 rods, but it does bring me extra pleasure to use them.  I never pay full price.  Well...I did when I first started.  Bought a Field & Stream Tec Spec so I'd have a second rod to use.  $60.  Don't use it because I don't like the tip recovery on it.  Or should I say lack of tip recovery.  I actually caught more fish back then than I do today.  But that has absolutely nothing to do with equipment.  Fishing sucks in the area I moved to over 30 years ago.

I can't cast any better with my used Steez than I can with my used Carbonlite (about a $200 difference).  The Steez sure does put a bigger smile on my face, tho.   ;D
Logged

DonM

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: Benton, LA
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1,524
    • DonMasonMusic
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2019, 09:45:21 PM »

I'm afraid to try one of those high-priced reels because I'd probably buy one.  No more fish than I catch I'd be better off with a cane pole and a can of earthworms.
Logged
DonM

D.W. Verts

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: Near Lake of the Ozarks, MO
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2,886
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2019, 09:59:15 PM »

Who builds the BPS rods...?
Logged
If you wanna hear God laugh, tell him your plans...

LgMouthGambler

  • Ultimate Basser
  • *****
  • Location: SoFlo
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 23,507
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2019, 05:02:48 AM »

Who builds the BPS rods...?
Pure Fishing. Berkley/ Abu etc.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Logged
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

  • Ultimate Basser
  • *****
  • Location: Rochester NY
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11,866
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »

I don't bother asking, keep getting different answers for the same rod. The sales staff doesn't know.
I believe DOYO, a Korean firm makes their reels, they make Lews and others also. All I know, all I really need to know is that for the money their stuff is good, especially when you buy them on sale.
Rodney
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:39:12 AM by Oldfart9999 »
Logged
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: N.E. Texas
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4,530
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders zone
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 07:35:17 AM »

Who builds the BPS rods...?
Some 12 to 14 yr old in China.  ;) lo
Logged
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here.

LgMouthGambler

  • Ultimate Basser
  • *****
  • Location: SoFlo
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 23,507
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »

Some 12 to 14 yr old in China.  ;) lo

Nah, at that age they run the facility. The workers are around 6 yo/  ~roflmao
Logged
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: N.E. Texas
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4,530
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders zone
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »

Nah, at that age they run the facility. The workers are around 6 yo/  ~roflmao
Hey I didnt want to totally rat them out. But you probably are more right than I was.
Logged
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here.

1ReelFanatik

  • Smallmouth
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 145
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 09:00:15 PM »

I'm afraid to try one of those high-priced reels because I'd probably buy one.  No more fish than I catch I'd be better off with a cane pole and a can of earthworms.

In my area...fishing from shore...that combination will catch more fish than my most expensive combo.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:16:11 PM by 1ReelFanatik »
Logged

Espresso_Junky247

  • UB Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2019, 09:19:00 AM »

To the OP, it's really not about how much you spend as long as it works for you. Some like to spend on the latest/possibly greatest, where I like to spend on what works for me and is tried/true. I've been into quality baitcast setups since the mid 80s and every few years when Daiwa would roll out something new/innovative I just had to have it. Over the years all sorts of things have changed from lighter build materials, more refined braking systems, more ball bearings, higher gear ratios, etc. Guess I'm from an old school era in which power fishing was the norm and not the more modern finesse type that many are into these days. I don't get any kind of thrill using really lightweight setups, but to each his/her own. I've had my share of setups and no telling how many tackleboxes over the years. Over time I sorta grew tired of it all and eventually sold everything. Well a little over 1 year ago I kind of had the urge to start largemouth fishing again and decided to invest in 1 high quality reel/rod/tacklebox and that would be it. I personally have never seen the need to have multiple setups in use as we have only 2 hands after all. I also went to places like Cabela's and Academy Sports and was blown away with how pathetic modern reels feel, especially for the price. Those lighter materials just feel cheap to me and the massive gearboxes to allow for the stupid fast gear ratios is a bit much. I didn't really have a budget in mind and settled on what I consider to be a fantastic all around setup. I went with a Team Daiwa Luna 253 as it's tough to beat round reel build quality/longevity/performance and paired it with a St. Croix Avid X rod. Granted it wasn't cheap, but I know this 1 setup will land anything swimming in fresh water and will last the rest of my life. So rock on with whatever you choose to use and don't ever feel like you're missing out on anything. As long as you crank in lunkers is all that matters.
Logged

PSL

  • UB Member
  • *
  • Location: South Florida
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »

New Guy here and figured this is a good spot to post and kick the thread up a little.

Fishing in Maryland 25 years ago you could chance a 6.5ft stick and spinning reel. If lucky you could catch a 6lb Bass. Work all year to find one. Then threw what felt like too much weight on a Jig n Pig down into a tree with 18lb mono. Hopefully he didnt wrap you and you got him up quickly. All for the total of 100$

Now down fishing in Okeechobee, or most of Florida you just cant do that and you would never land a 10lb bass, let alone a 6lb with same combo, maybe best to write you have a 20% chance vs a 80%. I tried my spinning reels and older St. Croix med.heavy. they wont work, period. Losing a big fish that you never seen 25 yards away sucks. You knew he could have been big but never got past the first piece of Grass.
Finding those are worthless here. Need Heavy, even Extra heavy for flipping, punching, and better reels.
I wont buy a 295.00 rod out of Principal, will go 150.00 and 130.00 on reel. Honestly if you want to catch a big fish you need reel gear.

Just remember those fish you lost were most likely not that you did something wrong but that you did not have the Umpf to get it out or keep it out. How I feel.
Logged

LgMouthGambler

  • Ultimate Basser
  • *****
  • Location: SoFlo
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 23,507
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »

New Guy here and figured this is a good spot to post and kick the thread up a little.

Fishing in Maryland 25 years ago you could chance a 6.5ft stick and spinning reel. If lucky you could catch a 6lb Bass. Work all year to find one. Then threw what felt like too much weight on a Jig n Pig down into a tree with 18lb mono. Hopefully he didnt wrap you and you got him up quickly. All for the total of 100$

Now down fishing in Okeechobee, or most of Florida you just cant do that and you would never land a 10lb bass, let alone a 6lb with same combo, maybe best to write you have a 20% chance vs a 80%. I tried my spinning reels and older St. Croix med.heavy. they wont work, period. Losing a big fish that you never seen 25 yards away sucks. You knew he could have been big but never got past the first piece of Grass.
Finding those are worthless here. Need Heavy, even Extra heavy for flipping, punching, and better reels.
I wont buy a 295.00 rod out of Principal, will go 150.00 and 130.00 on reel. Honestly if you want to catch a big fish you need reel gear.

Just remember those fish you lost were most likely not that you did something wrong but that you did not have the Umpf to get it out or keep it out. How I feel.

One things for sure in S FL, you dont bring a knife to a gun fight.
Logged
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

  • LM Forum Staff
  • *****
  • Location: Illinois
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 95,259
  • Chicago Illinois
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »

New Guy here and figured this is a good spot to post and kick the thread up a little.

Fishing in Maryland 25 years ago you could chance a 6.5ft stick and spinning reel. If lucky you could catch a 6lb Bass. Work all year to find one. Then threw what felt like too much weight on a Jig n Pig down into a tree with 18lb mono. Hopefully he didnt wrap you and you got him up quickly. All for the total of 100$

Now down fishing in Okeechobee, or most of Florida you just cant do that and you would never land a 10lb bass, let alone a 6lb with same combo, maybe best to write you have a 20% chance vs a 80%. I tried my spinning reels and older St. Croix med.heavy. they wont work, period. Losing a big fish that you never seen 25 yards away sucks. You knew he could have been big but never got past the first piece of Grass.
Finding those are worthless here. Need Heavy, even Extra heavy for flipping, punching, and better reels.
I wont buy a 295.00 rod out of Principal, will go 150.00 and 130.00 on reel. Honestly if you want to catch a big fish you need reel gear.

Just remember those fish you lost were most likely not that you did something wrong but that you did not have the Umpf to get it out or keep it out. How I feel.

Hello and welcome to Ultimate Bass. SO are you looking for some suggestions on what to get? If so you came to the right place. Lots of very knowable folks around here can help up out and be sure to stop by down in your state section and get to know the folks down there that fish the same lakes your talking about. FL CHAT Great bunch of folks who love to fish and meet up with others who do also.
Logged

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Takin it EZ

  • UB Member
  • *
  • Location: Surfside Beach SC
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 21
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »

I  take fishing forums and You Tube Channels  with a huge grain of salt! There are many people on forums that are aligned with tackle makers and distributors . They get discounts or financial compensation via  by  the post, how many words are written and if someone buys something and names who gave them the recommendations, Steering Without having to say what they are doing
  This is also true  for reel repair, rod building, marine repair  and electronics. It is a legal and  common practice  Sowatch what you read  and make  your own decisions
 I have been using Bass Pro Pro Qualifiers  Rod  and Reels since they came out , it is what I learned on and I am comfortable and satisfied with them , and no  I get nothing for saying this!
I used to be on another board where Shimano Reels and G Lomis Rods were King   I went out and bought a set up of such,Big waste of money   They did the same jobs  my tackle already did they cast the lures and retrieved the fish
 I have no opinion on what other folks should ordo use,their  money the worked for it, I am saddened sometimes by all the steering that goes on,without people knowing the real reason people recommend the stuff they do
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:14:11 AM by Takin it EZ »
Logged
Keepin it Simple

zippyduck

  • Charter Member
  • *****
  • Location: Butler, Pa.
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 7,390
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2019, 06:33:24 PM »

EZ,

For years I steered people to Dobyns rods, and Daiwa baitcasters ,and Shimano spinning reels, and the correct one for the job. I had no affiliation with anyone.

Recently I was offered a Pro staff job with Dobyns because of the good job I had been doing here. I still steer people to what is right for them. I do not receive any more for rods sold or words written. I get a certain percentage off Dobyns stuff and am expected to do no more than I had been doing.
Since getting this position I have steered guys to BP rods, and Berkley lightning rods as that is what they could afford.
Ultimate Bass is different from many sites as we will not put anything down but will endorse everything that works.
Our best reel guru is always trying out different reels and giving an honest opinion on all of them. and he leans more toward the big two but has found gems in other companies.

That makes this site so special we help everyone get the best they can afford.
Logged
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Takin it EZ

  • UB Member
  • *
  • Location: Surfside Beach SC
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 21
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pros vs Poor Mans Combo
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2019, 07:54:36 PM »

My post was not a knock as it is what it is. If I did not think this site was worth it,I wouldn't have joined Steering happens here ;ike everywhere else Once you know that it is the individuals job to assess the recommendation, and decide when to take it This site is no different from the others ,that's how  the business works. If you read enough of posts you can figure out who is with who,this is not to complain, everyone has to eat
 What is good about this site is the varied categories and the ability to read knowledge fromallover the place and polite demeanor here
Logged
Keepin it Simple
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
 


Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods




QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB




Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first
 
Page Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 23 queries.