Pros vs Poor Mans Combo

Started by WyattEarp, August 23, 2019, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dink Dawg

Put it into context.  A 1979 LEWS BB1N sold for around a hundred bucks. An Ambassadeur 5000 for around forty five bucks.  A fenwick HMG 555 Lunker Stick was seventy seven bucks.  The selection of rods and reels, let alone tackle was very limited.  A bass Pro Shops Catalog was what is now a mere flyer.   The selection, options, technology, materials, design and development have opened doors for anglers to obtain incredible products at very competitive pricing. If they had a Diawa Tatula CT and Dobyns Fury in 1979 at today's pricing.....I would have thought I had found the golden city. When is the last time anyone bought a hook file?  This is a momentous time for bassers.  If you are willing to shop and buy pre-owned YOU can have pro gear at poor man's prices.

WyattEarp

I have a buddy that uses their stuff, he picked up on sale.
I will be keeping my eye open for the next sale

DonM

Wyatt, I have a Pro Qualifier new in the box,  $50. if you want it.  I use only LH stuff and this one is RH.  It was a gift from an old friend.   
DonM

WyattEarp

Heck yeah, thanks
Just let me know how you want to handle the payment.

coldfront

Quote from: zippyduck on August 23, 2019, 03:59:10 PM
No you are not speaking out of turn.

We all started where you are at. Now that I am free of kids and other bills I can now enjoy the finer things in life.

gave up drinking. paid off the house.  between the booze bill and mortgage, I have a LOT more discretional income.

I just need to be a lot more discretional!     ~roflmao

DonM

Quote from: WyattEarp on August 25, 2019, 09:49:39 PM
Heck yeah, thanks
Just let me know how you want to handle the payment.
I'll send you a Private Message with my phone number.  We can meet somewhere. 
DonM

WyattEarp

Sounds good Don and greatly appreciated

Oldfart9999

Wyatt, for a little bit of money Mike or LMG can super tune that reel for you and make it sing. It's a good reel for the money, especially what Don is letting you have it for.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

DonM

Well, I opened the box this morning and it is a Left Hand reel.  Offer still stands if you want it.  I was sure I had a RH somewhere.  Will look later today.
DonM

1ReelFanatik

Don, my first baitcast reel was a 5001C.  Has a little boat rash from sitting unused on the bottom of an aluminum boat.  Didn't know anyone that used a baitcast reel.  Don't think the Internet had been invented yet.  Wouldn't have mattered because I didn't have a computer.  Had no idea how to set up the reel.  Got it out a couple years ago, put the plastic arbor on it so I wouldn't use 463.19 yards of the 17# mono I spooled on it, and mounted it on a 6'6" MHF rated 3/8-2 oz.  Amazingly it casts fine now.   lo  Don't like the tiny handle, so it has sat in the basement since then.

OP.  I would have fished with an Ugly Stick back in my youth....if I could have afforded one.  Very few frequenting fishing forums will use one today.  I don't catch more fish with my $100 or $150 rods, but it does bring me extra pleasure to use them.  I never pay full price.  Well...I did when I first started.  Bought a Field & Stream Tec Spec so I'd have a second rod to use.  $60.  Don't use it because I don't like the tip recovery on it.  Or should I say lack of tip recovery.  I actually caught more fish back then than I do today.  But that has absolutely nothing to do with equipment.  Fishing sucks in the area I moved to over 30 years ago.

I can't cast any better with my used Steez than I can with my used Carbonlite (about a $200 difference).  The Steez sure does put a bigger smile on my face, tho.   ;D

DonM

I'm afraid to try one of those high-priced reels because I'd probably buy one.  No more fish than I catch I'd be better off with a cane pole and a can of earthworms.
DonM

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: D.W. Verts on August 26, 2019, 09:59:15 PM
Who builds the BPS rods...?
Pure Fishing. Berkley/ Abu etc.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

I don't bother asking, keep getting different answers for the same rod. The sales staff doesn't know.
I believe DOYO, a Korean firm makes their reels, they make Lews and others also. All I know, all I really need to know is that for the money their stuff is good, especially when you buy them on sale.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteveTX on August 27, 2019, 07:35:17 AM
Some 12 to 14 yr old in China.  ;) lo

Nah, at that age they run the facility. The workers are around 6 yo/  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 27, 2019, 07:50:56 AM
Nah, at that age they run the facility. The workers are around 6 yo/  ~roflmao
Hey I didnt want to totally rat them out. But you probably are more right than I was.

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: DonM on August 26, 2019, 09:45:21 PM
I'm afraid to try one of those high-priced reels because I'd probably buy one.  No more fish than I catch I'd be better off with a cane pole and a can of earthworms.

In my area...fishing from shore...that combination will catch more fish than my most expensive combo.

Espresso_Junky247

To the OP, it's really not about how much you spend as long as it works for you. Some like to spend on the latest/possibly greatest, where I like to spend on what works for me and is tried/true. I've been into quality baitcast setups since the mid 80s and every few years when Daiwa would roll out something new/innovative I just had to have it. Over the years all sorts of things have changed from lighter build materials, more refined braking systems, more ball bearings, higher gear ratios, etc. Guess I'm from an old school era in which power fishing was the norm and not the more modern finesse type that many are into these days. I don't get any kind of thrill using really lightweight setups, but to each his/her own. I've had my share of setups and no telling how many tackleboxes over the years. Over time I sorta grew tired of it all and eventually sold everything. Well a little over 1 year ago I kind of had the urge to start largemouth fishing again and decided to invest in 1 high quality reel/rod/tacklebox and that would be it. I personally have never seen the need to have multiple setups in use as we have only 2 hands after all. I also went to places like Cabela's and Academy Sports and was blown away with how pathetic modern reels feel, especially for the price. Those lighter materials just feel cheap to me and the massive gearboxes to allow for the stupid fast gear ratios is a bit much. I didn't really have a budget in mind and settled on what I consider to be a fantastic all around setup. I went with a Team Daiwa Luna 253 as it's tough to beat round reel build quality/longevity/performance and paired it with a St. Croix Avid X rod. Granted it wasn't cheap, but I know this 1 setup will land anything swimming in fresh water and will last the rest of my life. So rock on with whatever you choose to use and don't ever feel like you're missing out on anything. As long as you crank in lunkers is all that matters.

PSL

New Guy here and figured this is a good spot to post and kick the thread up a little.

Fishing in Maryland 25 years ago you could chance a 6.5ft stick and spinning reel. If lucky you could catch a 6lb Bass. Work all year to find one. Then threw what felt like too much weight on a Jig n Pig down into a tree with 18lb mono. Hopefully he didnt wrap you and you got him up quickly. All for the total of 100$

Now down fishing in Okeechobee, or most of Florida you just cant do that and you would never land a 10lb bass, let alone a 6lb with same combo, maybe best to write you have a 20% chance vs a 80%. I tried my spinning reels and older St. Croix med.heavy. they wont work, period. Losing a big fish that you never seen 25 yards away sucks. You knew he could have been big but never got past the first piece of Grass.
Finding those are worthless here. Need Heavy, even Extra heavy for flipping, punching, and better reels.
I wont buy a 295.00 rod out of Principal, will go 150.00 and 130.00 on reel. Honestly if you want to catch a big fish you need reel gear.

Just remember those fish you lost were most likely not that you did something wrong but that you did not have the Umpf to get it out or keep it out. How I feel.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: PSL on October 17, 2019, 11:22:32 AM
New Guy here and figured this is a good spot to post and kick the thread up a little.

Fishing in Maryland 25 years ago you could chance a 6.5ft stick and spinning reel. If lucky you could catch a 6lb Bass. Work all year to find one. Then threw what felt like too much weight on a Jig n Pig down into a tree with 18lb mono. Hopefully he didnt wrap you and you got him up quickly. All for the total of 100$

Now down fishing in Okeechobee, or most of Florida you just cant do that and you would never land a 10lb bass, let alone a 6lb with same combo, maybe best to write you have a 20% chance vs a 80%. I tried my spinning reels and older St. Croix med.heavy. they wont work, period. Losing a big fish that you never seen 25 yards away sucks. You knew he could have been big but never got past the first piece of Grass.
Finding those are worthless here. Need Heavy, even Extra heavy for flipping, punching, and better reels.
I wont buy a 295.00 rod out of Principal, will go 150.00 and 130.00 on reel. Honestly if you want to catch a big fish you need reel gear.

Just remember those fish you lost were most likely not that you did something wrong but that you did not have the Umpf to get it out or keep it out. How I feel.

One things for sure in S FL, you dont bring a knife to a gun fight.

Lipripper

Quote from: PSL on October 17, 2019, 11:22:32 AM

Hello and welcome to Ultimate Bass. SO are you looking for some suggestions on what to get? If so you came to the right place. Lots of very knowable folks around here can help up out and be sure to stop by down in your state section and get to know the folks down there that fish the same lakes your talking about. FL CHAT Great bunch of folks who love to fish and meet up with others who do also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Takin it EZ

I  take fishing forums and You Tube Channels  with a huge grain of salt! There are many people on forums that are aligned with tackle makers and distributors . They get discounts or financial compensation via  by  the post, how many words are written and if someone buys something and names who gave them the recommendations, Steering Without having to say what they are doing
  This is also true  for reel repair, rod building, marine repair  and electronics. It is a legal and  common practice  Sowatch what you read  and make  your own decisions
I have been using Bass Pro Pro Qualifiers  Rod  and Reels since they came out , it is what I learned on and I am comfortable and satisfied with them , and no  I get nothing for saying this!
I used to be on another board where Shimano Reels and G Lomis Rods were King   I went out and bought a set up of such,Big waste of money   They did the same jobs  my tackle already did they cast the lures and retrieved the fish
I have no opinion on what other folks should ordo use,their  money the worked for it, I am saddened sometimes by all the steering that goes on,without people knowing the real reason people recommend the stuff they do
Keepin it Simple

zippyduck

EZ,

For years I steered people to Dobyns rods, and Daiwa baitcasters ,and Shimano spinning reels, and the correct one for the job. I had no affiliation with anyone.

Recently I was offered a Pro staff job with Dobyns because of the good job I had been doing here. I still steer people to what is right for them. I do not receive any more for rods sold or words written. I get a certain percentage off Dobyns stuff and am expected to do no more than I had been doing.
Since getting this position I have steered guys to BP rods, and Berkley lightning rods as that is what they could afford.
Ultimate Bass is different from many sites as we will not put anything down but will endorse everything that works.
Our best reel guru is always trying out different reels and giving an honest opinion on all of them. and he leans more toward the big two but has found gems in other companies.

That makes this site so special we help everyone get the best they can afford.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Takin it EZ

My post was not a knock as it is what it is. If I did not think this site was worth it,I wouldn't have joined Steering happens here ;ike everywhere else Once you know that it is the individuals job to assess the recommendation, and decide when to take it This site is no different from the others ,that's how  the business works. If you read enough of posts you can figure out who is with who,this is not to complain, everyone has to eat
What is good about this site is the varied categories and the ability to read knowledge fromallover the place and polite demeanor here
Keepin it Simple