Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin Helix Help/questions  (Read 333 times)

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
Twin Helix Help/questions
« on: August 25, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »

As many of you guys know, I'm a newbie when it comes to current electronics. The most experience I had with my previous boat was a small basic 4" Lowrance unit. These new graphs come with gps, and all sorts of imaging.

Now to my question/help: when utilizing the GPS system, do both graphs (console/bow) have to be powered on at the same time in order for the bow unit to track my current route? Wouldn't powering on the bow tranducer mounted on the TM be effected by not being in the water?   

Or

Do I just power on the console unit and when I make my first stop to fish, power on the bow unit?
But... when I pick up to move to my next location, do I power down the bow unit? Or do I put it in sleep mode until the next stop?

I hope I'm not confusing you guys...  lo lo

Thanks for your help ahead of time.  ~beer~

coldfront

• Life Member
Re: Twin Helix Help/questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »

you can put either unit on 'standby'. 
your units/GPS are good for:
1. logging waypoints and returning to them
2. trails to help find your way back/to spots or importantly:  HOME

imagine out there where you fish, a lot of spots can start to look the same after a bit.

the question I have:  are the two units connected (wired, or wireless?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaGYLqm9_E

for ideas.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »

you can put either unit on 'standby'. 
your units/GPS are good for:
1. logging waypoints and returning to them
2. trails to help find your way back/to spots or importantly:  HOME

imagine out there where you fish, a lot of spots can start to look the same after a bit.

the question I have:  are the two units connected (wired, or wireless?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaGYLqm9_E

for ideas.
CF.... that's a great question. I assume(d) they were. I honestly don't know (yet) if both units are connected to each other. I haven't gone into the gps (learning) testing phase yet.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »

I always thought in order to network a Helix it had to be 9" or larger.  I looked in to this a couple years ago and the 7s would not do it but perhaps the newer units can be.  I bet that the rigger of these units can fill you in if it was rigged at Vexus or at the Dealer in Orlando.  Otherwise Wayne P  probably has the straight skinny on this.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »

I always thought in order to network a Helix it had to be 9" or larger.  I looked in to this a couple years ago and the 7s would not do it but perhaps the newer units can be.  I bet that the rigger of these units can fill you in if it was rigged at Vexus or at the Dealer in Orlando.  Otherwise Wayne P  probably has the straight skinny on this.
Yeah.. if Wayne sees this thread he will definitely know. I figured I asked here first, since the gps testing is my next phase out on Lake Okeechobee

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »

Did a quick search, and by the looks of it, my units are independent of each other, and are not networked to one another, although they are both gps units. Looks like I will keep the bow unit always powered on and put it on sleep mode when I'm front fishing. That way I won't lose my routes.

Appreciate the input guys.  ~beer~

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »

Did a quick search, and by the looks of it, my units are independent of each other, and are not networked to one another, although they are both gps units. Looks like I will keep the bow unit always powered on and put it on sleep mode when I'm front fishing. That way I won't lose my routes.

Appreciate the input guys.  ~beer~

lou, don't remember which units you have (which group:  garmin, hb, etc), but think you ought to be able to save waypoints to chips and upload/download on to each hard drive?

on my boat, I have a couple lowrance HDS touch units.  don't know that I can link via wireless, but there is a 'port' on the back of each that takes an 'ethernet' cable.  would just have to 'string it' between them to make it work.

allaboutfun

• Charter Member
  • Beginner Bass
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 09:27:16 PM »

If you go into the menu system status it will give you the model #.  If there's an "n" at the end then you can hook them together with an ethernet cable.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 04:17:50 AM »

If you go into the menu system status it will give you the model #.  If there's an "n" at the end then you can hook them together with an ethernet cable.
Thank you allaboutfun, my units both end in "N".

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 05:43:36 AM »

Following this.
Bassinlou which unit do you have up front? Mine is the helix 7 mega DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 05:44:51 AM »

I would also think that if they are networked all you need to do to find out is save a waypoint on one and see if you can see it on the other.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 06:01:25 AM »

This one is my bow unit.

My console unit

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 06:39:38 AM »

Mines the same except mine is mega instead of chirp I think. I donít know the difference.
Do you know how the front works in regards to if where is what you see on the screen in relation to the boat? As in if it shows fish/structure is it right under you?
I feel like I need an electrical engineering degree to run this stuff.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 06:54:53 AM »

Mines the same except mine is mega instead of chirp I think. I donít know the difference.
Do you know how the front works in regards to if where is what you see on the screen in relation to the boat? As in if it shows fish/structure is it right under you?
I feel like I need an electrical engineering degree to run this stuff.

The bow unit has gps, sonar and down imaging. The console unit has the same plus side imaging.

Wayne P.

• Largemouth
  • I'm Wacky about Wacky
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 07:14:34 AM »

Yeah.. if Wayne sees this thread he will definitely know. I figured I asked here first, since the gps testing is my next phase out on Lake Okeechobee

The N in the G2N means Networkable. To do that you need an AS EC QDE Ethernet adapter for each unit and then an Ethernet cable to go between them.
There is a G2 and G3 version of the Helix 7 that does not have the networking capability.
When Networked, you can share SI to the DI unit and you can share GPS, sonar, Temp, and waypoints. Waypoints are not written to the other unit's memory, they are displayed on the other unit in a different color so both have to be on to share data.

Yes you can run the units with the transducer out of the water, just takes a few seconds for the unit to read the bottom again when you deploy the trolling motor. You can make that process faster by setting the Max Depth to a little deeper than the water you navigate on.

All second the third generation Helix units CHIRP both 2D sonar and Imaging.
Only the third generation Helix 7 models have MEGA Imaging---G3 and G3N.
Humminbird Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS,Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2,Humminbird ONIX 10 SI NT, SOLIX 12 SI,Humminbird Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Humminbird Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N,Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3,360

allaboutfun

• Charter Member
  • Beginner Bass
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 07:41:24 AM »

If they're hooked up together, I believe there will be 3 wires hooked up in the rear. One it's power, one is transducer and one is ethernet.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 07:45:24 AM »

The N in the G2N means Networkable. To do that you need an AS EC QDE Ethernet adapter for each unit and then an Ethernet cable to go between them.
There is a G2 and G3 version of the Helix 7 that does not have the networking capability.
When Networked, you can share SI to the DI unit and you can share GPS, sonar, Temp, and waypoints. Waypoints are not written to the other unit's memory, they are displayed on the other unit in a different color so both have to be on to share data.

Yes you can run the units with the transducer out of the water, just takes a few seconds for the unit to read the bottom again when you deploy the trolling motor. You can make that process faster by setting the Max Depth to a little deeper than the water you navigate on.

All second the third generation Helix units CHIRP both 2D sonar and Imaging.
Only the third generation Helix 7 models have MEGA Imaging---G3 and G3N.
Appreciate that information Wayne. Thank you!!

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »

Update

Had a chance to mess around with my electronics and gps yesterday on Lake O, and I found that both my bow and console units are indeed networked together.  ~c~ I found this to be pretty cool and wanted to relay this information back to you guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 23 queries.