Tip for saving line for other uses

Started by gtrpickr, September 01, 2019, 03:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrpickr

Here is something I thought of while wanting to remove some braided line off a reel but didn't want to waste it. I used an old pen but a small dowel rod or anything that would fit in your drill would work  So I put the pin in my drill tied the line on and let it rip. Now I have some braid neatly spooled and ready to repurpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

Great tip Gary

Thanks for posting it. Should be very useful to lots of members.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

The leftover toilet paper cardboard rolls are also excellent for this. They slide perfectly on to a drill, and with a sharpie you can write on the roll identifying how many pounds the braid is.

gtrpickr

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 01, 2019, 06:29:14 PM
The leftover toilet paper cardboard rolls are also excellent for this. They slide perfectly on to a drill, and with a sharpie you can write on the roll identifying how many pounds the braid is.
I'll have to check that out, anytime you can reuse something now days is a good thing.

Bassinkorea

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Smallie_Stalker

Hope I'm not stepping on your toes here Gary but if all we're sharing ideas here this is what I do.

I have a threaded metal bar that I put in the drill. I put a wing nut on the bar then put on an empty line spool and then another wing nut to keep the spool in place. If it's not the spool the line came off of I just use a small sticky label or piece of adhesive tape and mark the pound test on with a sharpie.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

gtrpickr

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 01, 2019, 08:54:25 PM
Hope I'm not stepping on your toes here Gary but if all we're sharing ideas here this is what I do.

I have a threaded metal bar that I put in the drill. I put a wing nut on the bar then put on an empty line spool and then another wing nut to keep the spool in place. If it's not the spool the line came off of I just use a small sticky label or piece of adhesive tape and mark the pound test on with a sharpie.  :-*
Nope not stepping on my toes at all Jim  :) it's all about sharing and gaining knowledge and I was thinking about a similar spool idea just didn't have one laying around thus the pen/dowel idea was born lol.

Oldfart9999

I have a line BERKELEY LINE  so it's easy to put the line on an empty spool. I make sure I have several empty spools on hand be cause I save them.
Your idea should work great for those that don't have line spoolers.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.