New Boat Set Up

Started by Bud Kennedy, September 06, 2019, 01:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Have you ever noticed that newly delivered boats seem not to be set up correctly.  Prop selection issues coupled with motor height seem to be the major culprit.   I wonder why dealers always seem to miss the set up usually on the deep side.  Do they not know or is that purely a factory set up problem.  Either way it is a crappy way to start a relationship with your new boat.  You would think they would at least get this part right.  I guess if you have a hydraulic jack plate this is not an issue but it is for boats without a jack plate.  Heck, even a manual jack plate should be standard equipment for any bass boat.

Princeton_Man

Some dealers do take the time to make sure the new rides are set up properly. There's more to it than just the jack plate/motor height. I know one such dealer who even does it with his used boats.

Unfortunately, there are a lot more dealers out there who are only out to sell and get them out the door. A post from Wizard some time ago comes to mind about the guy with his brand new 21 foot Skeeter rocket who had never operated a boat before.

There's bound to be enough profit/commission on a new boat to make it worth taking the time to water test with the customer and help tune the new ride a little.  As I said, some dealers do it.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

BarryFL

Usually why a slightly used boat is a good deal in that at least all the tinkering has been done.

I think the dealers/manufacturers set them on the slow side for liability reasons per PMan's post. A lot of people have more $ than brains when it comes to operating high performance bass boats.

~Barry~
~Barry~

merc1997

i can tell you that the right prop makes the difference in being a nice ride or a nightmare.

bo
On Heaven's Lake