Love my new Dobyns, but I'm not fond of the...

Started by Fun4me, September 08, 2019, 10:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun4me

Hook keeper. I'm guessing there's a reason Dobyns uses this type of hook keeper, I'm just not aware of that reason. Don't get me wrong, it's a minor complaint, but it's the only rod in my arsenal that uses a hook keeper that I have to put the hook through to get it to work. It's particularly frustrating with Texas rig baits, or anything that doesn't have an exposed hook.

Smallie_Stalker

I felt the same when I first got my FR 733C.

Two quick solutions. A snap or Norman Speed Clip can be attached to that hook keeper. Keep the other end of the snap open and just put the bend of your t-rig hook in there. No need to push the hook all the way through the plastic.

The other way is to modify the hook keeper itself. Cut off the piece closest to the reel seat,  and bend the longer section down some toward the blank. I used a small piece of a pencil eraser and super glued it to cover the sharp edge. Some guys use a bobber stop but I couldn't make that work mostly due to my tremors.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Hook keeper? What's that?

I use the level wind on my reels and always have. Old dude.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

I'm with you Dale, can't stand to have a bait rubbing against the rod causing a wear mark. But the hooks cause wear marks on the reels... Goes both ways I guess.

As to why Gary uses this particular hook keeper, I really don't know? But I'll ask...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

gshappell

That's funny...i like the hook keeper better than my other rods.  Different strokes for different folks i guess.  Don't really like them on my lews rods, especially the spinning rod. I do see your point about those baits you mentioned though...

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

rb-nc

The best hook keeper ever is to drill a small hole in reel seat trigger

Flat Rock

I'm with Bassinlou.. I adapt and move on.   I will say though I do prefer the hook style keeper, but I do have one rod that has the loop style.  Then again I've got a couple rods that have nothing at all, then I use the eye and move on.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 08, 2019, 01:23:18 PM
Hook keeper? What's that?

I use the level wind on my reels and always have. Old dude.
Oh lordy, hook the bait to the reel?! That's like nails on a chalkboard to me! Lol

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Fun4me

How do I hook a Texas rig bait to a reel, without having to alter the bait to make it work? Again, it's a minor complaint, but on all of my other rods I just hook the bait to the loop keeper and move on.

Princeton_Man

I tend to prefer the open end hook keepers myself as well because I find it's quicker for me and because I T-rig and fish a lot of soft plastic rigged weedless.

There is an advantage to the closed hook keepers, particularly if you fish braid. Your line can't get caught in the closed loop.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

loomisguy

Pull the barb out, hook it on the keeper or reel.

SwampingWithSasquatch

I have various rods and most of the keepers are different so I fully understand the struggle of different hook keeper styles but I came to find the hook keeper on my veritas 2.0 to be one of my favorites it's a tight fitting to the blank loop so you can slide the bend down on it and never have a problem with the Texas rig or you can simply run the hook through the loop for a quicker approach if your using a open hook bait or jig ...I'd have to say my falcon lowrider rod is my least favorite keeper it's just a really small loop bent down and I set my hook bend in it instead of hooking through the loop
(because of the small hole in it) and it always finds away to come off and get tankled in the rest of my rods its quite annoying but hey some people love that style different strokes for different folks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zippyduck

The good thing is you never have line wrap itself in it. I like the ones on the spinning rods better and where they put them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Oldfart9999

I like the open style, ti's easier for when I have the tremors going strong and let's me not have to tear up a Texas rig, just have to remember to reel up tight but not over type. The outfits that don't have them I use a last guide frame, NOT THE INSERT. I'm with Matt, I don't like hooking to my reels. For drop shot I use the keeper and BPS sells these little Velcro line line keepers that I use to hold the weight down toward the handle, need to pickup a couple more.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 10, 2019, 07:35:10 AM
I like the open style, ti's easier for when I have the tremors going strong and let's me not have to tear up a Texas rig, just have to remember to reel up tight but not over type. The outfits that don't have them I use a last guide frame, NOT THE INSERT. I'm with Matt, I don't like hooking to my reels. For drop shot I use the keeper and BPS sells these little Velcro line line keepers that I use to hold the weight down toward the handle, need to pickup a couple more.
Rodney

I need to look into those line keepers for dropshots. Sounds like something I've been looking for.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 08, 2019, 01:27:06 PM
I'm with you Dale, can't stand to have a bait rubbing against the rod causing a wear mark. But the hooks cause wear marks on the reels... Goes both ways I guess.

As to why Gary uses this particular hook keeper, I really don't know? But I'll ask...

i've done the reel hook keep thing for a long time.  have not yet seen the wear marks.  wonder if that's due to not being able to go that fast in my boat and so I avoid some of the pounding?  plus rod socks limit movement too in the box.

hook keepers are great, but salted plastics fascilitate corrosion way too soon.