Broke my first rod...

Started by apiazza, September 09, 2019, 11:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

Was out last night for an hour before the sun went down. My spinner got caught up in some rocks and while attempting to break free, I managed to break something else...the top 4 inches of my rod. Luckily it was a cheap old combo, but out a rod nonetheless. Irony is, I had just picked up a new SLX reel earlier in the day. Guess I need to expand my market to spinners now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lee Smith

Welcome to fishin'.......it sux, but it's a big part of it!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

apiazza

For as long as I've been fishing this is the first snap I've had both fresh and salt water. I have had eyes bent and broken in years past. Maybe I've just been lucky or simply not fished enough lol.

Lee Smith

Quote from: apiazza on September 09, 2019, 11:44:53 AM
For as long as I've been fishing this is the first snap I've had both fresh and salt water. I have had eyes bent and broken in years past. Maybe I've just been lucky or simply not fished enough lol.

I've broken a many over the years........but then, some say I'm kinda tough on my equipment  ;)  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Jacobguy

I'm with you, broke my first only 3 weeks ago and the replacement came in today. It's for sure a pain in the butt, but I'll tell you what I'll never make that mistake again. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

apiazza

Considering it was a junk combo I'll probably start looking for a new rod and reel. I dont throw the spinner often right now so I wont spend a lot. Thinking maybe a 7' medium or maybe even medium light. Suggestions always welcome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

Quote from: apiazza on September 10, 2019, 04:13:01 AM
Considering it was a junk combo I'll probably start looking for a new rod and reel. I dont throw the spinner often right now so I wont spend a lot. Thinking maybe a 7' medium or maybe even medium light. Suggestions always welcome.

If you haven't used a medium or medium light you'll be happy you did when you have a bit of time on one. Just buy a decent quality rod.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Jacobguy

Quote from: apiazza on September 10, 2019, 04:13:01 AM

I just got a 7" medium Berkeley  lightning rod Zippyduck suggested and I'm really happy with it if that helps. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

apiazza

Zippy always has good suggestions. I was thinking maybe another dobyns colt or a st croix bass X.

I'll check out the lightning.

apiazza

What size reel would most go with for a medium or medium light rod? 1000 or 2500?

Lipripper

Quote from: apiazza on September 09, 2019, 11:36:31 AM
Was out last night for an hour before the sun went down. My spinner got caught up in some rocks and while attempting to break free, I managed to break something else...the top 4 inches of my rod. Luckily it was a cheap old combo, but out a rod nonetheless. Irony is, I had just picked up a new SLX reel earlier in the day. Guess I need to expand my market to spinners now.

Sorry you broke your rod. Did you catch any fish before that happened?

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

apiazza

Quote from: Lipripper on September 10, 2019, 12:36:33 PM
Sorry you broke your rod. Did you catch any fish before that happened?
Nope. Luckily I had another rod with me so it at least didn't end my evening.

Lipripper

8) I would hate to end the day with a broken rod and no fish.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

apiazza

So I'm looking to spend about $150 I think. I know, not a lot, but my budget isnt much at the moment and I dont throw it that much. Even weightless flukes I usually throw on my medium or MH baitcaster (which has me guessing buying anything). I'm thinking maybe the daiwa legalis LT 2500 mated to another dobyns colt but in 7' ML. Would seem to give a good finesse rig for whatever configuration. I'm open to suggestions. Spend more on rod and less on reel or keep it about split?

Pferox

A 2500 is the smallest i would go for Bass Fishing.  A 3000 is a better choice because you now can add mono and floro line choices to the mix. About 10lb test. 

A 4000 reel might seem a bit large but allows you to get 12lb test line, and gives you more copacity usually.

Right now I'm using 8b test on my Penn Fierce 2000s fishing the bayou where I'm catching more like salt water pan fish, ya know croacker and whiting, maybe some sand trout.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

zippyduck

Quote from: apiazza on September 10, 2019, 09:18:55 PM
So I'm looking to spend about $150 I think. I know, not a lot, but my budget isnt much at the moment and I dont throw it that much. Even weightless flukes I usually throw on my medium or MH baitcaster (which has me guessing buying anything). I'm thinking maybe the daiwa legalis LT 2500 mated to another dobyns colt but in 7' ML. Would seem to give a good finesse rig for whatever configuration. I'm open to suggestions. Spend more on rod and less on reel or keep it about split?

Colt 703sf and the legalis will do everything you need and much more.
The 2500 to 3000 size are always good sizes for bass.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

apiazza

Quote from: zippyduck on September 11, 2019, 02:24:55 PM
Colt 703sf and the legalis will do everything you need and much more.
The 2500 to 3000 size are always good sizes for bass.
I went 702sf which is the medium light with the 2500. Probably gonna run 8 pound mono.

I just bought an slx to go on an ugly stick I had around. When I have the budget I want to buy a fury in heavy or extra heavy which will get the citica and then swap the slx to the medium heavy colt. With those 3 combos I should be set for a while for bank beating.