Rod/reel maintenance

Started by Jacobguy, September 09, 2019, 08:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacobguy

Hey everyone so now that I have two quality rods and reels I should probably learn how to properly take care of them. Is there anything I should be doing internally to the reels technology wise? Lube? Grease? Or maybe a specific lube/grease I should be using, I'm here to learn. Is there anything I should be doing to keep my rod healthy also? Should I buy a little slink sleeve for it to avoid damage or is there any good 8ft soft cases big enough for both available? My equipment is- (Daiwa Fuego CT, Dobyns 734c)-(Shimano Nasci, Berkeley lightning rod 7"med) Thanks a lot gentlemen I really appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

There are some very good folks here that will help you if you get stuck, your owners manual will be a big help, if possible make a larger copy, as you tear the reel down take pictures to refer back to, cleanliness is next to Godliness, or so they say.
As far as lubes and cleaning materials you read you'll read many different favorites. For cleaning I have a small jewelry cleaner that put water in then some camp fuel in little glass baby food jars with good ventilation, there are other options. For lubes I use TSI-321 and Cals Drag grease, they work very well for me. No matter what you use a little bit goes a long way, a 4 ounce bottles lasts me several years, I have about 30 outfits that get torn done ounce a year in a normal year and may have there bearings done 2 or 3 times depending on usage.
As far as rod protection give it a good cleaning every ounce in a while, a wipe down after each trip and a coat of wax at least ounce a year. Lindy sells my favorite rod cover, I'm not fond of the slinky stretch types, they don't stop dirt and my rod lockers don't fit any of my 7 foot or longer rods, they are on the deck even on the trip home. The Lindy covers the rod down to and part of the handle, they're made in different sizes to fit different rods. None of them cover the reels. BPS 2 different types, both of which are quite good, they also offer a soft case for carrying multiple outfits up to 7 foot, actually I think they'll carry a 7'6" outfit, they'll hold up to about 7 outfits. I used one when I fished as a non-boater in the ABA, it kept the outfits under control and let carry more than recommended 4 outfits, I never had a boater complain. I did blowout an expensive tackle bag but that's a different story. lo lo ::)
I know it's a bit wordy but I hope it helps, set up the way that works best for you and you'll find it to very satisfying to use equipment you took care of as well as saving a bit of money to give to the bait monkey.
Rodney   
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

If your a handy type of individual and can take small mechanical items such as a reel apart and put it back together in working order, then there are videos out there that can show you how to maintain a reel. But... if your not, outside of the basic stuff like flushing bearings and such, just save your $$ and send your reels to Mike or the other guys that do reel maintenance professionally once a season. That's what I do.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 10, 2019, 11:51:46 AM
If your a handy type of individual and can take small mechanical items such as a reel apart and put it back together in working order, then there are videos out there that can show you how to maintain a reel. But... if your not, outside of the basic stuff like flushing bearings and such, just save your $$ and send your reels to Mike or the other guys that do reel maintenance professionally once a season. That's what I do.
That's good advice and what I would do also. If I took mine apart it would never work right again. ~roflmao

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

Make sure you have a gallon ziploc bag, and a good magnet just in case.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 10, 2019, 01:43:12 PM
Make sure you have a gallon ziploc bag, and a good magnet just in case.
What, you don't like chasing parts across the floor or watching springs fly away to who knows where? lo lo ::)
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Jacobguy

Thanks for the responses gentlemen, I think I'll watch some videos and take them apart myself unless theres a pretty big advantage to sending the to Mr.Cork. I'm pretty handy and I've worked on airsoft gearboxes and trigger systems in the past that are quite small. And I'll have to pick up some of those lubes. Thanks.

Lipripper

Quote from: Jacobguy on September 12, 2019, 08:23:08 AM
Thanks for the responses gentlemen, I think I'll watch some videos and take them apart myself unless theres a pretty big advantage to sending the to Mr.Cork. I'm pretty handy and I've worked on airsoft gearboxes and trigger systems in the past that are quite small. And I'll have to pick up some of those lubes. Thanks.

You should be able to handle it then but if you get into any trouble post some pictures and holler  :help: one  of our reel guys will be glad to point you in the right direction.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Jacobguy

Quote from: Lipripper on September 12, 2019, 08:27:39 AM
You should be able to handle it then but if you get into any trouble post some pictures and holler  :help: one  of our reel guys will be glad to point you in the right direction.  ;D
Thanks! My senses point to that will be the case soon enough.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Jacobguy on September 12, 2019, 08:30:09 AM
Thanks! My senses point to that will be the case soon enough.

Dont sweat it, you wouldnt be the first.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Jacobguy

Thanks everybody, I came up with one more question. On my Dobyns the cork get dirty after some use and doesnt stay new looking, what do you guys do about that? I know they have the heat shrink covers but I'm not sure if I wanna do that. Is it washable? Not that it matters I just like to keep my stuff clean, smooth, and, functioning properly.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Jacobguy on September 14, 2019, 11:54:04 AM
Thanks everybody, I came up with one more question. On my Dobyns the cork get dirty after some use and doesnt stay new looking, what do you guys do about that? I know they have the heat shrink covers but I'm not sure if I wanna do that. Is it washable? Not that it matters I just like to keep my stuff clean, smooth, and, functioning properly.

Clean the cork with a magic eraser, then use  cork sealer, and seal the cork.

Jacobguy

Perfect thank you Bassinlou.