DIY Truck bed rod transport

Started by apiazza, September 13, 2019, 07:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

I know there are some clever folks here so I'm looking for some motivation. My Ram only has a 5'7" bed. I have several 7' rods that just barely fit when put corner to corner, but I really would rather them not be sliding against each other. I'm thinking up ideas for making a removable rod holder. I'm trying to avoid hitch mounted at the moment only because I want to bring rods to work so I can stop by the lake on the way home and the spots are so short I already hang over in the front and back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

WTodd

You could have tie downs in each corner like the rod tie downs on boat decks; they shouldn't slide around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

There was a related discussion here a couple years ago that had some pictures and another that had a link to a video. I found a lot of DIY truck bed rod rack videos. Here's a link to one. You'll get some ideas from watching a couple. DIY Trcuk Bed Rod Rack
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

apiazza

Quote from: zippyduck on September 13, 2019, 07:18:52 PM
Do you have a cap?
Negative. Not a fan of caps, so no rod tubes if that's what you were thinking.

zippyduck

A pvc rack built to fit the inside the bed will keep them off the bed floor and can have a noodle on both ends to keep them from sliding. I am going to build one now after thinking about it.
I currently use two ratchet straps between the cap clamps to suspend my rods off the bed floor.

apiazza

Quote from: zippyduck on September 14, 2019, 10:53:52 AM
A pvc rack built to fit the inside the bed will keep them off the bed floor and can have a noodle on both ends to keep them from sliding. I am going to build one now after thinking about it.
I currently use two ratchet straps between the cap clamps to suspend my rods off the bed floor.
I have an idea drawn out on paper. I'm going to head to the lake for a bit while the weather is great and then off to lowes. I'll take a lot of photos and put something up here after.

apiazza

Well I spent a few hours putting my idea to work. I used 5 5'x 1-1/4" PVC pipe for everything. 12 T fittings, 6 90's and two caps (which I bought the wrong size). The reality is that the whole thing is probably a bit overkill (ok, it's a lot overkill) for some freshwater rods, but I'm okay with that. I ran the nubs just forward of the wheel well. There is a little V there that should keep it from sliding at all, plus its snug left to right. The only thing left to do it actually put the rod holders on. The 1-1/4 is big enough for small freshwater rods, but I may go bigger to fit salts too, or just have both options. My simple thought is just a length of pipe on the bottom cross member to slide the butt in and then cutting a pipe open to lay the rod in to keep it from moving side to side. The last picture is sort of my thought. I can run a bungee across to secure them in place. Once I get everything finalized I'll glue it all together, even though it's probably not really need. Thoughts and advice are welcome. If you want any specific measurements, let me know.

Princeton_Man

Nice work! ~c~
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to glue a strip of felt over the PVC that the rods rest on.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Would really bumpy roads cause the rods to come out of those holders?

The only other thing I'd be worried about is a rod or lure coming loose and hitting a vehicle behind you.

Of course I'm probably missing something obvious here so forgive the stupidity if I am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

This post makes me glad that I have a full size SUV where I can just lay the rods inside if I want to.  Otherwise they are in the boat.  Never could embrace the crew cab truck with a standard bed and even some with a tool box.  Just not much room left over for cargo bigger than a few bags of groceries.

apiazza

Felt is a good idea, will probably do that, or something along those lines.

I dont think there is much risk in a rod coming out. The rod is just as contained, and if not more than rod holders on boat gunnels. I've been through some nasty swell and never lost a rod. That said, I was thinking of putting something across to keep them from bouncing at all.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: apiazza on September 15, 2019, 09:00:20 PM
Felt is a good idea, will probably do that, or something along those lines.

I dont think there is much risk in a rod coming out. The rod is just as contained, and if not more than rod holders on boat gunnels. I've been through some nasty swell and never lost a rod. That said, I was thinking of putting something across to keep them from bouncing at all.

Another thought, instead of felt you could use strips of cork. Both are usually easy ti find in craft stores and Home Depot type stores.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

apiazza

Quote from: Princeton_Man on September 16, 2019, 10:09:25 AM
Another thought, instead of felt you could use strips of cork. Both are usually easy ti find in craft stores and Home Depot type stores.
I'm going to stop this afternoon to get the pipe for the holders. I'll look around for some different options. I'm trying to think of a better idea than splitting a pipe in half to hold the upper part of the rod. I'm going to run a couple possible options before I glue everything up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

apiazza

Well for anyone following along, this is about 95% complete. Used 1-1/2" PVC for the rod holders along with just normal pipe clamps and some 1/4-20 machined screws. I bought felt but what I bought turned out to be much to thick and stiff (designed to put on furniture feet) so in on to the next idea. Probably just spray adhesive and thin sheet of felt.

Princeton_Man

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

the only problem I see is the rod glove will catch wind and either blow off the rod ro drag the rod out of the holder. Don't ask how I know this.

apiazza

Quote from: zippyduck on September 18, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
the only problem I see is the rod glove will catch wind and either blow off the rod ro drag the rod out of the holder. Don't ask how I know this.
Lol. I thought that too. Wasnt planning on leaving it on durring transport

I did add an eye to each side that would allow me to run a bungee or something across to secure them I'm place.

zippyduck

Quote from: apiazza on September 18, 2019, 06:21:25 PM

I did add an eye to each side that would allow me to run a bungee or something across to secure them I'm place.

That makes me feel better and you should be fine. Nice job.

SteveTX

Those rod gloves will fly. Mine made it to about 45 mph and swoosh off into oblivion. :shocking: lost 2 before I could get stopped. I point my rods the other way now when hauling in my truck bed.  ;)

The rod rack looks interesting. Am I missing it or does it not mount to the floor? I mean what keeps it in place?

apiazza

Quote from: SteveTX on September 18, 2019, 06:38:22 PM
Those rod gloves will fly. Mine made it to about 45 mph and swoosh off into oblivion. :shocking: lost 2 before I could get stopped. I point my rods the other way now when hauling in my truck bed.  ;)

The rod rack looks interesting. Am I missing it or does it not mount to the floor? I mean what keeps it in place?
Its wedged between the wheel well and has two little "handles" that reach passed the wheel well so it cant slide in any direction. I think you can see that up in the earlier pictures.

zippyduck

I would throw a sandbag on the bottom rails to keep it from bouncing.

apiazza

I'll see how it handles without extra weight. All the designs I found online didnt mention extra weight and most were actually way less substantial than mine. For what it's worth its about 17 pounds with no rods on it. I could just throw my tackle bag on it lol that's basically a sand bag.

If I do need extra weight I can pop apart a couple sections and put weight directly in the pipes.

I appreciate all the suggestions. By all means keep them flowing. I didnt glue most of it so I can modify without starting over.

Bassinkorea

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

apiazza

Been driving around with the rack in my truck and if hasn't moved at all even on a couple rough roads, so in pretty happy.

I found thin sheet of cork on Amazon along with adjustable, very long bungee so I should be set to go this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk